Roll Call, Original Owners

fiatslug87

:waving:

Technically, it is my wife's MJ, but I drive it.  She bought it in June '87 just out of college.  It just goes to show that if you take care of your things, they will last a long time.  I still have both the MJ and my wife (31 yrs and counting).

1 minute ago, fiatslug87 said:

Wow, how did you order it? And then you shipped it back!

We ordered it through overseas military car sales...at the PX (Post Exchange)....believe it or not..... in Yongsan Garrison, Seoul Korea. They actually had one on display. Since my wife and I were both in the military on a joint domicile tour (two years), we were authorized to ship a car (since we weren't up in 2nd Infantry Division). So, really, Uncle Sam shipped it both ways.

There was another married Army couple in my unit that also bought a Comanche. Wonder if they still have it?

14 hours ago, buxmj said:

Yes Pete, you are the original owner! 

Buck

well, no I'm not.  BUT I happen to have a truck that (so far) only has one name on the title. :D  (later this year we'll be figuring out the paperwork and getting it registered)

• 2 weeks later...

I THINK I qualify.  I'm the original owner.  I bought my 1987 chief from a Fort Wayne Dealership who traded it from a Jeep dealer in Albion Indiana.  Then I sold it back in '93 to my dad and bought it back about 10 years ago. I originally bought it new mid summer '87 if I recall correctly.  The little 100lbs wife was set on a wrangler as her daily driver until she saw the comanche.   I think it has around 86k miles on it now.

https://comancheclub.com/topic/20543-comanche-of-the-month-mar-2010-glundblads-1987/

On 10/26/2019 at 11:06 PM, Manche757 said:

I am impressed that some of you held on to the jewels and resisted the temptation to buy new shiney bigger trucks as rust and mother time took its toll. Great idea for tracking original owner's, FiatSlug87

What rust? I could never let it go it's like a member of my family:laugh:

100_0572.jpg

38 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

Body is fantastic and the paint job job is awesome.  How many times has it been painted in the last 30 years?

1 time about 15 years ago. The clear coat was pealing and my wife thought maybe it was time to trade up. So I stripped the hockey stick off, removed all the trim and etc. and took it to the shop. She thinks it looks much better now. I drive it almost every day it failed me once (CPS sensor).

• 3 months later...

I bought my 87 Comanche Sport Truck on 7-13-87 in Libertyville Illinois. It's a 4WD 5sd 4.0L short bed base model with preferred option group Colorado Red with 10 spoke aluminum wheels.

I added factory vent Windows, factory truck sport bar, jeep floor mats, factory fog lamps, factory bed lamp, retractable under hood lamp, factory splash guards and Ziebart rustproofing.

I still have all the original paperwork, window sticker, key knockouts, both sets of keys, dealer keytag with the stock number on it as well as all the invoices for all the things I added.

The truck currently has 224750 miles on it, it is still mostly original with the exception of maintenance type things even the clutch is still original with the exception of the throw out bearing/slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder.

I have been getting it back in shape to be a daily driver again so far so good. Still runs and drives good. Just like all those years ago when I got it. 

Thanks to all the people in this Club lots of good and useful information here!

20200222_153622.jpg

I went with my dad to buy his Comanche (now mine) on 5/12/1988.   Does that count?

He was driving by the Jeep/Eagle dealer, on the way to the Dodge dealer as he wanted a Dakota and had just driven one the previous day.   He spied this Comanche on the side of the lot, and stopped in to check it out.  It was the last 1987 they had.  They weren't able to work out a deal, but by the time we got home the phone was ringing and he and mom drove back into town and brought it home.  

I still have the main copy of the original keys.   

We had a summer party in 1990 and a couple school friends came over.   We were shooting guns off the tailgate and one kid looked at the Jeep and said "That's an awesome truck".    

Just a couple weeks ago my 5 year old nephew came over and looked at the Jeep and said "Wow, awesome".  

I'm going through old pictures trying to find a few, here's a couple from November 1996.

00001743.jpg

00001752.jpg

00001753.jpg

• Pete M pinned this topic