Roll Call, Original Owners

fiatslug87

Ah, OK.  Well we are in one of the 10 ten hottest Texas summers on record right now, so I won't be tackling any jobs outside the house right now anyway, but perhaps I will get inspired this fall.

Just a note on the mechanics evaluation.  It wasn't that the engine rebuild was necessary to replace the main seal and the oil pan seal, it was that with the number of miles on the engine, replacing these would not guarantee they would no longer leak.  Something about the pressure because of the engine wear may now be high enough that it could still push through the seals.  Leak less, likely.  Leak a lot less, maybe.  But eliminating the leaks totally, I am told at this point, is unlikely.  The engine rebuild would be needed to guarantee the leaks are all gone.  I called the local Jeep specialty shop and got a similar answer.  I am no expert, but at least it now makes sense that my mechanic didn't mean they could not replace the seals unless the engine was rebuilt, just that they did not think it would eliminate the leaks.  Just FYI.

mine has 220k on it and the new RMS worked fine.  :L:  (took a couple tires to get the oil pan to seal though, but they've invented one-piece rubber pan gaskets since then).  one hiccup I remember reading about is if the shaft the seal rides on is worn, but they now sell double-lipped RMS seals just to accommodate that.  :grinyes:

BUT if the leak is actually the valve cover gasket (even more common than the RMS and it will drip down the back of the engine and make you think it's an RMS), blowby from a tired engine can leak oil passed that gasket if your CCV system is all plugged up.  that might be what they were referring to?  blowby shouldn't affect the RMS though. 

does your air filter have oil in it?