Roll Call, Original Owners

fiatslug87

Purchased mine in June of 1989 at Monty's Chevrolet, AMC, Eagle on 7th St. in Victorville, CA. It has also lived in Rapid City SD and Spokane, WA.

It now resides with me in Tucson, AZ

20200725_172940.jpg

2 hours ago, thug3 said:

Purchased mine in June of 1989 at Monty's Chevrolet, AMC, Eagle on 7th St. in Victorville, CA. It has also lived in Rapid City SD and Spokane, WA.

It now resides with me in Tucson, AZ

nice!  :D  did you order it?  love at first sight on the lot?  do you have any old pics?  be sure to start a build thread and share! :L: 

• Pete M pinned this topic

No, it was on the lot for a few weeks. The day I was going to pick it up they called and told me it was $1000. off. No build thread. just getting ready to do a rebuild on the engine and rear end. I have never rebuilt an engine before so it should be interesting. What can you tell me about Enginetech rebuild kits? 

a "build thread" can be as complicated as a V8 swap on 1-ton axles or as simple as introducing your truck and telling us a bit about it.  :D  

you should as about the rebuild kits in the Tech forum so more eyes will see it.  :L:  I haven't rebuilt an engine yet, so I don't have an opinion. 

• 3 months later...

All in the family,

My dad bought the 89 after his mom passed away in March of 89. I learned to drive on it in highschool then took owership in college at 142K miles. Courted the Mrs in it and drive it just about everyday. Pioneer package, with skid plate option and OEM Comanche bedliner.

Replaced the BA 10 at 214K and rebuilt both axles, changed gearing and added a Detroit in the rear.

Had painted in Sept, so wife would stop referring to me as 'Sanford and Son's'.

Working now on Vacuum issue, leaking rear main and interior.

Next year planning to add performance header and rebuild my NP231, would like to add the 2 low option.

20201110_110439.jpg

5 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

Glad you found this thread :L:

Have you added it to the registry?

Looked at registering, just need to tack the VIN down. was hoping I had a old insurance card in my wallet. Need to make that long journey to the truck and write it down.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m actually the second owner first owner was my dad. It’s a 89 Comanche pioneer long bed he bought in 88 off the showroom floor at Redbird Jeep Eagle in Duncanville Texas. Originally it was black with the maroon interior 4.0 auto and only a two wheel drive. Now it’s white and has been converted to 4 wheel drive with the drive train and complete wiring off a 96 Cherokee. Also changed the front end from a 2001 Cherokee. Everything works flawlessly and has been my favorite daily driver for the last 11 years. I also just swapped a 8.8 out of a 2001 Explorer to get better braking a few weeks ago. 

678A1055-8BD5-432E-ABA6-A98B3D739829.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased my 1989 Jeep Comanche (1J7GJ36L2KL536008) long bed with the Big Ton package in May of 1989. For years my wife and I used it to haul our Jayco Pop-up camper around the Pacific Northwest, up into Canada, and down into Mexico.  When I attended the Burning Man Festival in Nevada, I used the truck to carry the generator, a couple hundred gallons of water, and a zillion other things for our entire camp. Today I use the truck to mostly harvest firewood from our property, haul a yard of gravel at a time to fix the driveway, and carry lava rock for rock wall building. The truck has never failed to get us places, but she now has 170K and the BA10/5 does not shift as smoothly as it once did, and there are a few more squeaks and rattles. She still goes to the dump every week, and she keep company in the garage with our 2021 Jeep Cherokee. I hope keep her running until they take my driver's license

20201220_135227.jpg.62a13819b945da7e2c13e1efc95181c4.jpg Baja_Desert_Slides_026.png.52f805013a7a0b4ba6eec7b45b48ccca.png

13 hours ago, Siskiyou Mike said:

I purchased my 1989 Jeep Comanche (1J7GJ36L2KL536008) long bed with the Big Ton package in May of 1989. For years my wife and I used it to haul our Jayco Pop-up camper around the Pacific Northwest, up into Canada, and down into Mexico.  When I attended the Burning Man Festival in Nevada, I used the truck to carry the generator, a couple hundred gallons of water, and a zillion other things for our entire camp. Today I use the truck to mostly harvest firewood from our property, haul a yard of gravel at a time to fix the driveway, and carry lava rock for rock wall building. The truck has never failed to get us places, but she now has 170K and the BA10/5 does not shift as smoothly as it once did, and there are a few more squeaks and rattles. She still goes to the dump every week, and she keep company in the garage with our 2021 Jeep Cherokee. I hope keep her running until they take my driver's license

20201220_135227.jpg.62a13819b945da7e2c13e1efc95181c4.jpg Baja_Desert_Slides_026.png.52f805013a7a0b4ba6eec7b45b48ccca.png

Just awesome!

7 hours ago, BeatCJ said:

@Siskiyou MikeFantastic photos. Do you still have/ use the  camper?

BeatCJ,

No, I got rid of the Jayco pop-up camper years ago when I bought a VW Westfalia camper. The VW camper soon proved to be too small for my wife and two Golden Retrievers, so I got rid of it and bought a new F150 and an Artic Fox trailer. After 1 year of towing the trailer I sold both the truck and trailer at a fantastic loss,  and I started to wish I had the Jayco Pop-up truck camper back. The Comanche with a slide-in camper was unstoppable, and we used it to camp on the most remote BLM, and we once drove 10 hours on old dirt roads to reach the ocean (which required moving rocks, cutting away one tree, and hours looking at old forest service maps and wondering where we were).

Yeah. And it doesn't look like anyone builds a camper that fits a Comanche any more. I used to have a full size truck camper, but my wife has knee and hip problems, using the cab-over bed was too hard for her. The trailer just can't get where I took my camper.

• 3 months later...
28 minutes ago, Clay Perrine said:

Do I qualify as an original owner?  My father bought mine in 1988 in Dallas. I am still driving it.  The valve cover and oil pan have never been off, and it is just shy of 300K miles.

@Clay Perrine Heck YES!!! I see you've been around since 2012 and still have not added your MJ to the Registry!!! :nono:   :))

• 3 weeks later...

hi there fellas its been a while and just lil update i am the original owner of 89 pioneer lwb 4x4 with AP 4.6 Stroker with and ax15.  In 2013 it was rear ended by a suburban and consider it totaled by the insurance company i was able to get it back since they didnt want to replace the bed  so the hunt was on for a long bed and i was able to obtain a long bed so my project will begin very soon i was able to get the photo's from my windows phone. with no frame damage since I didn't have the spare tire in its proper location btw this person was only doing around 30-35 mph i was sitting on the frame rails of the vehicle. i do have the original rims with the caps that most are looking for the plans i have right now for it is to get the bed off and replaced with a better one i have a d44 and debating on the 8.25 so that i can swap for disc brakes (KJ) with a mild lift and replacing the mirrors and handles with 97+ Cherokee making it a reliable driver/mild off road

0909111627b.jpg

0909111627.jpg

0330131836.jpg