What are you listening to?

jdog

Lastly.  A few cuts from Andrew Lloyd Weber's 1970 Rock Opera... Jesus Christ Superstar.

Try not to get worried, try not to turn on to
Problems that upset you, oh
Don't you know
Everything's alright, yes, everything's fine
And we want you to sleep well tonight
Let the world turn without you tonight
If we try, we'll get by, so forget all about us tonight

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, derf said:

I've been running my old 5 disc changer while I am working.  I had forgotten how much I like listening to whole albums.

This is probably one of the best things about having a CD player in your vehicle. When I’m just playing music off my phone I usually tend to hit “shuffle all”, cause I’m probably driving at the time and digging through menus to choose something is a little more eyes-off-the-road than I can manage. But shove a CD in and you realize you don’t have sudden shifts in mood, energy, or odd jumps in volume, or any of that weird stuff that you don’t want to get rid of but you never actually want to listen to. The album just flows. And while some albums may just be a collection of songs, quite a few are arranged to tell a story that adds extra depth and meaning to the songs that you don’t get at all once you pull the song out of that context.

One of my favourite albums for that reason is American Idiot. It’s pretty easy to dismiss most of the songs as clichéed teen rage and angst like a lot of Green Day is, but once you put them all together they become a surprisingly relatable coming-of-age story about search for meaning in the struggle of life. There’s definitely better music and better albums out there, but it still surprises me how well put together that particular album is, and how compelling the story is. It even got itself turned into a musical.

14 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

This is probably one of the best things about having a CD player in your vehicle. When I’m just playing music off my phone I usually tend to hit “shuffle all”, cause I’m probably driving at the time and digging through menus to choose something is a little more eyes-off-the-road than I can manage. But shove a CD in and you realize you don’t have sudden shifts in mood, energy, or odd jumps in volume, or any of that weird stuff that you don’t want to get rid of but you never actually want to listen to. The album just flows. And while some albums may just be a collection of songs, quite a few are arranged to tell a story that adds extra depth and meaning to the songs that you don’t get at all once you pull the song out of that context.

One of my favourite albums for that reason is American Idiot. It’s pretty easy to dismiss most of the songs as clichéed teen rage and angst like a lot of Green Day is, but once you put them all together they become a surprisingly relatable coming-of-age story about search for meaning in the struggle of life. There’s definitely better music and better albums out there, but it still surprises me how well put together that particular album is, and how compelling the story is. It even got itself turned into a musical.

You don't hear about that as much with newer music.  It's cool to hear that some bands still try to do that.

You used to see it a lot more back in the day.  The 70s was full of "album rock" like that.

I normally connect my car to my phone running Power Amp.  I have several play lists set up so I can choose based on my mood.  I have a wide range of tastes so "shuffle all" would be weird.  Switching from Black Sabbath to Dave Brubeck to Suicidal Tendencies to Motzart to Megadeth to Joy Division to Jefferson Airplane would be... weird.

19 hours ago, derf said:

Switching from Black Sabbath to Dave Brubeck to Suicidal Tendencies to Mozart to Megadeth to Joy Division to Jefferson Airplane would be... weird.

it's not weird at all.  I call the folder: "music I like".  best playlist ever!  :D 

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

it's not weird at all.  I call the folder: "music I like".  best playlist ever!  :D 

Sure.  But not organized like that.  I choose my playlists depending on my mood.  And for things like Mozart, I don't like to shuffle in pieces of a work or listen to one part by itself.  They're better played in sequence.

21 hours ago, derf said:

You don't hear about that as much with newer music.  It's cool to hear that some bands still try to do that.

Modern pop music is pretty obnoxious like that. Not often much meaning, not much depth. Some of it has artistic elements, some not so much. But like mass-market lagers, it’ll still get you drunk if you drink enough, so I guess it gets the job done. Maybe. I wouldn’t know, I quit paying attention a good ten or fifteen years ago.

7 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

Modern pop music is pretty obnoxious like that. Not often much meaning, not much depth. Some of it has artistic elements, some not so much. But like mass-market lagers, it’ll still get you drunk if you drink enough, so I guess it gets the job done. Maybe. I wouldn’t know, I quit paying attention a good ten or fifteen years ago.

I distinguish between entertainers and musicians.

Entertainers churn out pre-canned crap.  Musicians actually put effort into making good music.

30 minutes ago, derf said:

I distinguish between entertainers and musicians.

Entertainers churn out pre-canned crap.  Musicians actually put effort into making good music.

I can appreciate that. I personally am a huge fan of punk music and not for the music but the attitude. The music for the most part isn't the greatest (few true punk bands are actually musically inclined), but it's the DIY attitude that I love. At the time most of these bands (in the 80s) hated the music scene. They couldn't play but rather than the gripe about it they picked a instrument and learned to play. When they wanted to put out a record no one wanted to sign them so rather than call it quits they started their own label. Couldn't find a venue to play so rent out out space. Need some merch so recruit some friends to make album covers and print crappy t shirts. Unfortunately the scene got bastardized and crap bands capitalized on the word Punk. Thanks to Nofx, greenday etc........they suck

Bad brains, Bunch of rastafarians that changed the punk scene forever. Fast, good and  smart.

Youth brigade, 3 brothers and creators of BYO label. 

I could go on all night

Like everything else, the corporations noticed they were losing out on a profitable segment so they came in, took over, and ruined it.

I remember listening to alternative music long before it became mainstream.  Back then it was "college radio".  Back before it became "I'm rebelling against the mainstream, just like everyone else."

On 11/6/2020 at 11:30 AM, gogmorgo said:

I absolutely love your comparision! Because then would come the question: do you drink to get hammered, or for the taste? I had a similar discussion with a co-worker that's like 10-ish years older than me (I'm 39) and we would agree that up to around late nineties, songs told a story, had lots of lyrics, and you heard the chorus like two times only. Nowadays, it's vague lyrics with no story, the chorus comes every 15 seconds, and the song last 3 minutes tops... Oh, and not much creativity either; just sampling and remixing old classics...

Love listening to Buddy Holly. One of his thats my favorite is "That'll be the Day", such a classic 50's song. Wish I had an oldies station that still played stuff of that vintage so cruising in my T-bird would be more enjoyable. 

Now I am not incredibly religious by any means but a good song that gets me in a good cruising Jeep mood is Burning Bridges by the Mike Curb Congregation used in the movie Kelly's Heroes. Only because of the opening sequence of the movie. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was more looking for the WWII death count one but the Covid is just as funny. I mean theres nothing funny about death but, I don't know how to put it without upsetting someone. But the WWII one is educational to me at least. Theres some countries that I didnt even know were somewhat involved or had mass deaths in that time.

• 2 weeks later...

just spent 2 days in the Durango and started the trip with the cumulative works of Collective Soul.  been a while since I've heard them straight through.  it was nice.  no videos, you can look them up yourself. :L:   used to listen to them (the first 6 albums anyway) every night for an hour and change when I went for walks with the dogs back in the day.  for years.  never ever got tired of them. 

• 2 weeks later...