TFL trucks new "cheap" Jeep

gogmorgo

That was a pretty recognizable silhouette to me.

These guys are a little ridiculous at times, (apparently $6500 with free sponsored parts is "cheap") but some of their real-world comparisons are pretty good, and they do seem to be at least a little respectful of how clean an example they ended up with. I'm looking forward to seeing how well they find it stacks up against the Gladiator. 

I'm sure we all know the Gladiator will spank the MJ in a lot of categories, simply due to 35 years of progress in the automotive sector, but the massive dimensions allowing for modern passenger comforts definitely will change how the Gladiator performs as a truck. 

Heh, heh ... The grille is upside down.

That is a VERY clean Comanche. I'm envious.

They think it's "amazing" that the BA 10/5 transmission is still working after 107,000 miles? My '88 XJ is at 287,000+ with the original BA 10/5, and no "crunchiness."

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

Heh, heh ... The grille is upside down.

That is a VERY clean Comanche. I'm envious.

They think it's "amazing" that the BA 10/5 transmission is still working after 107,000 miles? My '88 XJ is at 287,000+ with the original BA 10/5, and no "crunchiness."

I didn't notice the grill, haha. 

If all they'd done is a quick google or talked to the local Jeep "expert" they'd easily get the impression the transmission is made of glass. Similar to the Dana 35, yeah if you beat on it it'll break but I've also got one outside with 330,000 miles on it. Likely this one's suffered more from neglect than anything else. It would definitely be worth their time to dump the fluid for something fresh.

14 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

After seeing this I realllllllyyy want to have mine repainted. Also I would like to point out that the grill is broken on the second slot closest to the passenger side

If they'd flip the grill the correct way it would be second slot to the driver's.  Why does every XJ/MJ that anyone buys have the grill upside down?  :laugh:

1 hour ago, Dzimm said:

If they'd flip the grill the correct way it would be second slot to the driver's.  Why does every XJ/MJ that anyone buys have the grill upside down?  :laugh:

Who knows? But we all know you can't do that with the HO front end. Maybe we could use that as the symbol for Renix era Jeeps

2 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Who knows? But we all know you can't do that with the HO front end. Maybe we could use that as the symbol for Renix era Jeeps

You mean a symbol for bassackwards and upside down electronics? :roflmao:

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

Just a trailer I know. 

But this will be interesting to watch. Mildly modded MJ stacked up next to a JT. Looks like we can kiss that nice rear bumper goodbye though. 

At least the grille isn’t upside down anymore. 

10 minutes ago, Tsalagi said:

Rebuilt the Peugot in this edition. They did discuss whether it was worth it or not but they decided to go the cheap route and rebuild it.

"Cheap" route.  In the end when they show previews of the next episode he hints the trans rebuild got expensive, which was expected.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2019 at 8:50 AM, gogmorgo said:

And the third instalment. Yawn. Just show us the damn thing on the trails already!!

@18:20

Seems unsporting to declare a 10k budget for a "cheap Jeep" build then sweep in thousands worth of free parts from your sponsors. 

Average Joe would have blown the budget at this point and is now rolling around on 33's and 3.07's. Not a fun combo for Moab. Better keep that wallet open, Joe!

That was a mid to high end priced MJ in the first place. Maybe it's cheap by Wrangler standards, but by MJ standards (and mine) they're throwing their wallet at this thing full force, and that's before we talk about the sponsored parts.

I don't think I have the $6500 purchase price into my 91 from beginning to now, and if I do I'm not over by much. Admittedly, I have very different priorities from these guys, but still. I also didn't spend 3 grand rebuilding a BA-10, so I've got that going for me.

Maybe it's just me, but I get absolutely nothing out of "builds" where they just go to a shop and open the wallet. Doubt I'll keep watching this series. If I want to see a lifted MJ on 33s, there is plenty of material on this very site. Way more entertaining to watch someone actually doing things, even if they're fumbling through it.