Best tires for off and on-road?

1 hour ago, madog7200 said:

I had the general grabber version of the ta ko's on my old s10... they look almost identical to the original ta ko's and save you about 400 bucks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've run several sets of KOs over the years and I'm on my first trial with AT2s now.  So far, I've encountered no appreciable difference between the two in street comfort or light-offroad performance (mostly sand and coarse rock desert trails).  They both sling gravel equally bad.  Can't say yet if they will match the KOs in tread life, but overall I'm very pleased so far.  

The difference in price can't be overlooked.  The AT2s have a lower list price than KO2s and you can have Amazon deliver them to your door for free with Prime membership.  Plus, GT usually has some kind of rebate program running.  I think I got a $60 rebate on a full set.  A few weeks back I saw an ad offering $100 cash back.  It's worth looking around. 

I've had both the grabber at2 and BFG ko2, although on different vehicles. In my experience, the at2's seem to do better on snow and ice, although that's contrary to most of the online reviews. I'd also say they're roughly comparable on/off-road, although that's comparing my open-diff MJ to my g80 Jimmy that weighs ~500lbs more. The KO2's also have a much flashier look to them, with lightening bolt side lugs, etc, that I'm not really into. I definitely lean more towards the Grabbers, although the BFG's are available in a 33x10.5/15 which is eventually what I want on my MJ, and the AT2's are not. I don't know that there are any other winter rated tires though in that size, and that's pretty important to me, so I'll probably end up with another set of KO2's, whenever it becomes time. The AT2's did about 30,000 miles, probably 10-15% on gravel, before I ran over a deer carcus (staring at a gigantic orange moon rising, not the road) and seemed to be not quite halfway into the tread. The KO2's did about 6000 miles, didn't seem to be wearing excessively, but I sold the POS Jimmy they were on.

As far as what the absolute best tire is? That's the sort of question you'll ask ten people and get ten different answers.

We've had decent experience with Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs as well on our work trucks. Generally we go with whatever we can get cheapest in the factory size, out of those three. My recommendation is to figure out what size you want to run, find out what's available in that size, the pick whatever best meets your needs from the tire. Look at online reviews, etc. Tirerack.com is a great source for info, even if you don't plan on buying from them. 

I have the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs (33x12.5x15) on my XJ and love them. They are kind of like a hybrid tire, mud and all terrain. I have had BFG AT's and MT's before and both were good for the type of terrain they were designed for. The Duratracs do well in mud, sand, rock crawling and have good street manners in my opinion. I have around 40,000 miles on them and have around a quarter of the tread left. They were pretty quiet when new, but now they are kind of loud. I would buy them again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

On winter roads Nokian Nordman 7 SUV, amazing grip on ice and snow.

All spikes remains for years even after daily highway speed  (110km/h) on bare roads.

For ice on lakes the same but in the mud or terrain maybe not...

(Due to the laws we have to use different tires in the winter and summer over here)

20181118_124233.jpg

We're only legally obligated to run winter tires if we're climbing mountain passes where I live, although in some jurisdictions (Looking at you, BC) the legal minimum "winter" tire is pretty laughable. 

I wouldn't bother with studs unless you do a significant amount of miles on winter roads. Not winter conditions on regular paves roads, I mean roads that really aren't passable without a canoe in the summer. But Nokians are definitely the way to go if you're getting dedicated winter tires. 

I was pretty happy with my Grabber AT2s on my MJ. Unfortunately they've been discontinued, and replaced with the Grabber ATX. I'm looking at picking up a set of those for my ZJ. Just need to stop forgetting to order them while at work. 

I've come to like the Falken Wildpeaks. I have the orgional style on my 96 XJ with over half tread at 40k or so miles on em and have the At3 on my 99 Xj. Great both on and off road.
I went from Cooper st maxx (nearly 70k mi) to the falken at3w, so far I miss my coopers. Went down 1 tire size and these are a harsh riding tire, perhaps the smaller sidewall plays a factor. I have 8k on them and they are starting to get noisy, wet weather takeoffs and fwy off ramps don't give me a warm fuzzy feeling, soft dirt was good but they love to throw rocks. I plan on giving them a few runs in the snow and if they still suck then cutting my losses and getting my cooper's again, plus my cooper's were USA made, these falkens are from thailand

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk