Sad End to Comanche TDI project?

johnj92131

3 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

It doesn't make any sense to me for someone to steal a unique one-of-a-kind vehicle like that. It's probably the only TDI powered Jeep Comanche in existence. Chances are whoever stole it must have known what it was and targeted it.

Hopefully, somebody needed a ride for a little while and the truck will simply be abandoned.  That happened with a 1990 Mazda truck I owned.  Doubt the thief knew anything about the truck having a TDI engine in it.  If he keeps it for long, he/she may even try to put gas in it. 

7 minutes ago, bluenotenick said:

Nevermind, the post is dated 12 days ago... sorry.

The original CL post was edited 4 days ago... so technically it could still be a lead. Just trying to help out in any way possible.

Edited by bluenotenick
Update

About 20/25 minutes. Depends on traffic.  His place is very urban, mine is very suburban.  He is just off a main heavy traffic street, very easy access. No garage.  We are well off a main street, at the end of a development with only one way in/out.  Also a "better" neighborhood - not that it means much.  Anita parked her car in the driveway and says somebody went thru her center console just a few days ago.  Funny, they missed about $60 in cash in the car.

At least he finally bought his own truck!  A 2008 Ford Ranger, with 83K miles.  Will be interesting to see how long that truck lasts.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the TDI Comanche back on Friday night.  Wildernest is gone, Tailgate was painted black, plates were changed, registration documents are gone.  But it is home now.

Thieves are dumb.  And this one was really stupid DUMB. He drove the stolen truck back to the same apartment complex he stole the truck from to visit a girl.

My son walked out of his apartment to smoke in the back alley.  He sees the Comanche double parked in the alley, calls the San Diego Police to tell them he found the stolen truck. The tell him stolen cars are a low priority, so it could take up to 6 hours for a police response. He checks the VIN with the cops, yes it is the stolen truck and cops will eventually get there.  So son gets a couple of his neighbors to wait with him and see who comes back for the truck. Eventually a fellow come out from one of the apartment and approaches the truck.  Son confronts the fellow, telling him the truck is stolen and he is not leaving with the truck.  Fellow threatens to kick sons @$$ and take truck.  My son stood his ground with a kitchen knife in his hand.  Son told fellow he had a choice to make.  1. Stick around and wait for cops.  2. Try to kick sons @$$.  3.  Walk away right now.   The fellow decided to leave on foot without the truck.

Cops never showed up, Son reported car recovered on Saturday morning.  I got new plates, etc Monday morning.  Ignition switch will have to be repaired.  But right now the truck is safe in front of my house.

Have to say I am totally surprised to see the truck again, much less with not too much damage/loss.  And most of all just how stupid this thief was.