4th Generation MJ project

• 2 weeks later...

replace it cause as soon as you put the trans back in the clutch will go out, we won't be able to tell you unless you remove the pressure place to get to the clutch. should have 6 bolts around the perimeter, just be careful as its under tension

how was the clutch before? how was the pedal? 

they are same clutch plate setup. peace of mind to install new. little grease in pilot bearing and slap it back in with ax15 and run it. worse thing to happen is have to replace it and since you've did it once it will be easier the second time. a breeze after the 5th time. :shaking: other wise install full kit, fresh bearing and seals and good lube job. next. :popcorn:

what your looking for are bent fingers on the pressure plate, and the clutch disk is like brake pads, want clean and not gummed up with oil or shout. also would like to see good grooves on the disc itself. kinda like slotted rotors as this aides in the stopping and holding power. they are affordable enough to justify installing new while tore down this far. we all been there the first time. you doing good. keep up the good work and youll enjoy soon enough. :beerchug:

1 minute ago, MiNi Beast said:

yep replace if got deep pockets like 89MJ. :shaking:

No deep pockets here! I just don't have many adult responsibilities yet and I love preventative maintenance. My RockAuto order was over $300 for my engine swap and I was replacing parts that were still ok, but I replaced them because it was easy.

9 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

No deep pockets here! I just don't have many adult responsibilities yet and I love preventative maintenance. My RockAuto order was over $300 for my engine swap and I was replacing parts that were still ok, but I replaced them because it was easy.

keep that up. you'll learn soon enough you start mixing new with old your going to end up replacing on the old with new as the old gives out faster as you install new parts. like they get jealous or something. :laugh:

8 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

keep that up. you'll learn soon enough you start mixing new with old your going to end up replacing on the old with new as the old gives out faster as you install new parts. like they get jealous or something. :laugh:

I’m deep enough in my truck that pretty much everything is new! :D 

Rylee, you can buy a new flywheel and new clutch stuff all for less than $150 off of Rock Auto IIRC.