4th Generation MJ project

Made the 300 mile trip to my hunting spot. Truck ran good the whole way and got 18 mpg. Got to the top of the mountain 5800'. Then came the snow. I still only have 2wd and we have a few inches with 10 expected. I chained up and have weight in the back. Good news it's down hill in the way out. One buck down so far. Elk season starts monday.

20191019_071116.jpg

20191019_071026.jpg

20191019_083354.jpg

20191019_090055.jpg

20191019_090039.jpg

By the time I left the mountain there was 23 inches of snow. It turned to rain and melted a lot so the road wasn't too bad getting out. On the way home the wind was terrible. I could hardly drive in 5th gear with out bogging down and shifting to 4th. I was having issues with over heating. While driving on the freeway the temp climbed to 240. When i reached the Seattle area it was rush hour and traffic was almost a stand still. I had very little air flow and the temp got up to 250-255. I stopped and let it cool down before continuing home. I drove about 600 miles round trip and was pretty happy with the truck. 

I don't know why it was heating up so bad. I put in a new fan but don't know if it kicked on or not. I read a suggestion on here to block the grill with cardboard and let it heat up to temp to see if the fan kicks on. Ill will be trying that and see how it goes. 

24 minutes ago, rylee144 said:

When i reached the Seattle area it was rush hour and traffic was almost a stand still.

One of the few things that prevents me from living there. I don't know how you Washingtonians survive that mess. Makes rush hour here look like a breeze. 

I imagine that sitting there would cause overheat issues like what you had. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2019 at 12:18 PM, rylee144 said:

Made the 300 mile trip to my hunting spot. Truck ran good the whole way and got 18 mpg. Got to the top of the mountain 5800'. Then came the snow. I still only have 2wd and we have a few inches with 10 expected. I chained up and have weight in the back. Good news it's down hill in the way out. One buck down so far. Elk season starts monday.

20191019_090039.jpg

for just a moment there I thought you ran over the thing. :D 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2019 at 5:14 PM, rylee144 said:

I need this.

Actually I just went and looked at this. This takes inspiration from the JKs back tailgate. They have something similar to this on a steel plate

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Still haven't gotten to the tow hooks. Got the door seal on the driver's side and checked under the carpet, sad day. Rusty looking. My wing it approach failed me. I'll be buying some por 15 soon and taking care of business. I need to spread some powder around and soak the truck and see where my leaks are then tackle that. 

20200411_174650.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's raining hard now. It appears the wing window is the culprit. I've heard they all leak but i hoped i was the exception. What to do now? Replace the door and be rid of the wings? I love them though, so good on a hot day with AC not working. 

20200425_100745.jpg

20200425_100747.jpg