Son of Stink

• 2 weeks later...

Labor of love continues...Been spending most of my spare time/ weekends over the past 2 weeks getting the MJ's body perfect for paint. And was surprised to find even NOS doors and hood have dents!

IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2336.jpg

IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

Appreciate the kudos -- I'm all for sanding by hand. Takes longer but more controlled results.

As the body gets ship-shape I've also been working on the seats in the wee-hours. As many of you are familiar, these old AMC-era seats are a chore to take the seat skins off. Disassembly is far from fun -- removing the roll pins that holds the little tumble knob on takes an insane amount of patience so not to do damage the knob. The skins did put up a good fight but I finally got them off. There are 2 small rubber 'bumpers' mounted on the bottom of the topside of the seatback on 2-dr XJ/ MJ seats. These were either completely gone or mostly flat. Though I do have NOS of these for my '89 MJ project, they were no longer available anywhere so I've source some similar hardware store replacements. I cleaned, degreased, sanded and then painted (satin black) the seat frames.

IMG_2328.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

IMG_2348.jpg

Cushions and side bolsters have been gone through and replaced accordingly. For the most part, the driver's seat bottom was mush and the outside facing bolsters both driver and passenger side needed replacing. 

IMG_2349.jpg

Tomorrow morning the NOS '87 vintage upholstery (XJ & YJ variants) will be brought to the upholstery shop and stitched together as the crude sketch/colored notes I provided. XJ Limited style stitching, but with matching black piping (a la Laredo style seats). I prefer this vintage Jeep to have piping on the seats -- it just looks right.

IMG_2352.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up with for your door gap along the top of the door frame? On both of my trucks, I've had problems getting that gap to look nice while also properly compressing the door seal - getting it to properly compress the seal makes the top of the door sink in too far AND makes the rest of the door compress the seal so much that the door becomes very hard to close. I figure if anyone spent the time to get it right, it'd be you.

If only I could get a factory fresh MJ to take measurements and reference pics from... :brickwall:

The XJ Limited style seat covers are my all time favorite seat design of any vehicle ever. I'm sure it'll look great. As someone who's taken apart more of these AMC seats than I can remember, I try to leave stuff in its factory condition, but I've got my limits - I just drilled that stupid roll pin hole through the other side of the tilt knob.

I found black M4 allen heads that fit perfectly into the rubber bushing for the underside of the top half of the seat frame from where it touches the bottom seat frame (latching area). The issue with the factory bushings from my perspective is they have about 1/8" of 'air' (not solid rubber) between the top surface and the bolt which fastens them to the seat frame. (Photo below on a spare seat frame I have.) What ends up happening (even with a low mileage MJ/XJ) is the top of that bolt tears through the rubber and cuts the bottom of the seat vinyl. Same as the bottom of the seat chrome latch sound mounting screws cuts through the top of the seat vinyl in the in between area. These rubber bushings I got are solid and the allen round will help them keep their shape. For the chrome latch area simple black velcro fuzzy side dots will be used at the contact point on the vinyl in between topside.

IMG_2393.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

Jeep upholstery has been dropped off for stitching with and ETA of 2-3 weeks. I'm going to check out their progress next Friday once all is cut-up. Looking forward to seeing the seats come together.

Taking a break from body work on the weekend and took some time to dissect the unique only to 1990 XJ/MJ vanity visor (which has the black mirror assembly inside...probably only important to me as I'm converting my '92 to a black interior...and '90+ is when the shorter sun visors came into being). First off, this one year only part is hard to come by -- so I heat up the thin plastic clips that hold the two plastic visor sides together. There's a total of nine that need to be carefully pried apart (and not broken) as these are how the 'teeth' on the inside area of this assembly holds the foam backed material into place. Two small flat screwdrivers are used in tandem at each clip location to carefully pry things apart. 

This was the first time I actually disassembled this years sun visor, and as seen in the photo below, this one year only item is quite different from the '91-'01 XJ visor assemblies. The '90 visor has the bulbs and copper runs as in and as part of the main visor. The newer style (at right) is a vanity mirror concealed unit. As far as replacing light bulbs goes, the first gen style I prefer. It's a hell of a lot easier to pop-out that mirror unit, than it is to pop-out just the clear lens of the newer style. I've cracked a lens both times I needed to change a vanity bulb on my '01 XJ. It's maddening, as I am very careful.

The final challenging step of disassembly is pulling out the sun visor clip that retains in in place in the vehicle. the dual plastic hoops the hold the thick plastic pin in place need to be carefully pinched together while carefully pulling in out. This insures the visor sides can be full opened and new material put into place. and since the XJ I pulled this from had a Cordovan color interior, I need to paint the 3 screw mounting metal bracket black. Again, this was unique to 1990 -- that the mounting bracket is painted the vehicles interior color. All other years, this bracket is a generic black. Final step is swapping the vanity mirror lid with the Ford units that I found were similar a couple months back, as the XJ units again were the color of their given interior.

I have several more of these visors to pull apart successfully (for both the '89 and current '92 MJ build). Good times!

IMG_2457.jpg

I stopped by the upholstery shop working on my MJ's seats this afternoon to see how things were coming along...Happy to seat the one of two seats is about 60% together and looking great! Couldn't be happier with his work and how the upholstery looks together! Supposed to be done in a about a week. Then I'm going to turn him to updating some factory door panels along the same lines.

IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Busy end of week/ weekend -- Painted the MJ inside and out...jambs, cab, bed, etc. Done! Masked like hell so not to get any overspray! Will see how successful that was once I tear the masking off.

Polishing all the parts and pieces, and aiming for completed (shell) re-assembly this weekend then back home it comes. (Bed photo work-in-progress polish.)

IMG_2662 (1).jpg

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2868.jpg

IMG_2869.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

1992 MJ/ XJ factory silver, but the paint code pulled 2 versions of the silver -- when I shot test panels I went with the one that had a bit smokey-er hue. Matched the "Jeep" logo'd upholstery lettering perfectly. The other factory silver was a bit darker and more gray.

Anyway, simple answer... I went with factory 'Silver Star Metallic'.