Son of Stink

Twas time. I'm familiar with this blower switch connector melt as I'd seen it go about the same time on my old '95 XJ. Three of the four connectors had nearly melted the plastic completely through, and two of those four were no longer clipped securely into the connector. Replaced it thanks to someone here on CC...Can't remember for the life of me who I bought it from, but also available on ebay. I didn't have to replace the electrical terminals. Just cleaned them up and added terminal grease. Going to go through all me behind the dash connectors just to make sure all others are good while I have easy viewing with the dashboard out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Cherokee-XJ-Comanche-blower-motor-fan-switch-Connector-w-terminals-1984-96/333347019982?hash=item4d9d07dcce:g:z1MAAOSwukZcWwun

IMG_1137.jpg

I decided I'm going with a Sport Bar on this MJ also, and was lucky enough to locate one. My challenge is I'm out of factory switch space on the dash thanks to various factory and aftermarket (winch) accessories I'll be running...and I'm not  fan of random aftermarket switches that could look out of place. So I'm going to use the on/off for the Sport Bar mounted lights to be the floor mounted hi-beam switch the FSJ/CJ's had (many GM & Ford vehicles also). Found a rubber boot and carpet grommet also for this switch. My ebrake is now XJ-style so this leaves a spot on the floorboard for this switch to be mounted.

IMG_1227.jpg

Got the bed back on, windshield cut-out, NOS hood on (though it's dusty as hell), and roll bar light wiring run back to the back of the cab. From there I'll have a weather-pack connector between the underside and coming down through the bed from the roll bar as a quick disconnect should I want to remove for the camper shell. And speaking for a camper shell -- found a fellow MJ-er in IL who's parting with a mint dealership purchased Leer shell. So time to hit the road again where I'll begin the journey in MI where I'm removing the black interior from this surprisingly low mileage, very rusted out MJ, continuing to IN, then on to IL picking up other MJ goodies.

117335616_591191161570169_4009825813943773163_n.JPG

mine.JPG

Next up rear tires back on and continued body prep work. My daughter came out this morning to help me prep the bed.

IMG_1213.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

Should be a fun trip, and a journey slightly north of the last. I'm collecting black interiors for both the MJ's -- 'Stinky' and my current project (this build) 'Son of Stink'. For some reason, a lot of black interior parts and vehicles have come up for sale as of late -- so I'm all over it while the gettin's hot. 

Here's my accomplishments for the brief morning -- got the CJ high beam switch installed (nutserts on the other side of the bolts), a rough cut-out of the firewall mat done (will be squared off and foam neatly trimmed), and the rollbar wiring secured along the underside exterior of the MJ cab with the connector in place. The factory wiring connector for the CJ switch should arrive later this week so I can run the wires into it using OEM terminals. All is tested and works great. I tapped the highbeam switch used into a spare 'ignition' tap of the under dash fuse panel (that way if I forget to turn the rollbar lights off, they'll turn off with the ignition). I've yet to decide if I'm going to place an indicator light on the dash for them -- if I do, it will be subtle and most likely below the high beam indicator on the gauge. Will see...

IMG_1326.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

Hard to see that I put time into neatening up the behind the dash wiring, but I did. About half the way through it taping and looming the various accessories and amenities added in. Getting there...

IMG_1353.jpg

Interior side, I finished the wiring clean up and got the rear tires back on. For the most part the majority of this wiring gets fastened to the back of the dash during installation.

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

Next step is swapping out the steering column for a black tilt unit. I first need to replace the turn signal/ combination switch wiring and ring in that tilt column-- as the hazard light switch portion seems to be damaged (it won't budge from its current position).

Practice part, cobbling together the idea... This will be the indicator light for my rollbar lighting. I'm going to cut out a single lighting pod that will accept the factory lighting connector (as used for the rocker switch icon lights left and right of steering column). It'll be plastic welding it to the backside of the gauge overlay. The speedometer gauge corner will need to be notched to fit the lighting pod.

Did my best to show a day and night vision version of this indicator using a flashlight, t-shirt and blue plastic sheath. The final hole on the instrument cluster overlay will be beveled like the hi-beam indicator insert above it.

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

I knew someone would catch that.. Because I'm not running the Marchal driving lights that I am on the '89 MJ. The way things were staggered from the factory early on was Marchal fogs on the bumpers and driving on the bar. They had different lenses. Later sport bars, after the era of Marchal, defaulted to KC always if purchased from the dealer accessory catalog. For this build (my '92 MJ), I'll actually be running TJ 6" identical round fog lights bumper and bar, hence the same symbol. I actually thought about that before selecting the icon I did. I am crazy. ;) 

Here's a pic of the factory light covers of the lights I'll be using. Image from ebay. The white Jeep lettering with look good with the white letters on the BFG KO's.

TJ.jpg

Successful trip MI through IN, IL, CO, and back to CA...Met a couple great MJ-er's along the way. Stripped out the little rusted SportTruck which had one of the best black interiors I'll pulled. Took everything except the bench seat...which was near mint (and if you're interested ping me and I can put you in touch with the guy I gave the truck to who can sell you the seat. Auto column truck.) Got a recently relocated CA truck rollbar, complete with brackets. And last but not least a SB Jeep dealer purchased MJ camper shell. Got a bunch of other misc stuff too...but now back to focusing on getting my MJ to paint!

IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

Spent a little over 3 hours re-shaping the kicker 'feet' of my roll bar with a 4 lbs mallet...There was close to 1/4" difference between how the driver's side and passenger's side sat near the fender well at first placement. See photo's below. (Driver's side was further away.) Finally I got them equidistant to the fender well, with front legs of the bar the same distance from the front of the bed. Next step is drilling holes, adding the underside brackets, and then tightening everything up to hopefully have the metal take final shape. I want to get all this buttoned up before paint.

IMG_1784.jpg

IMG_1785.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

Hot damn...I got it in! What a chore. I decided against installing my recent purchase rollbar as it needed some tweaking to make it close to perfect. It's in great shape, but it's not 100%. The rollbar I have had for my '89 MJ dropped right into place. Seemed like the best way to go.

IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Back in 2017 I had a local-ish custom auto glass shop build me three Comanche specific lightly tinted tempered solid across the back of cab glass for my trucks. First time test-fitting with factory glass seal. Perfect fit. Going through everything that needs to be test-fit prior to paint.

IMG_2019.jpg

Getting there on the instrument cluster project -- for roll bar lighting indicator on/off. I cut to the necessary size an XJ fog/ defroster switch pod. The plan is to plastic weld this to the backside of the gauge cluster overlay back side. As mentioned before, I will need to round out the speedometer gauge at the bottom so this little light-pod triangle fits. Also was able to drill out a properly centered hole in the gauge cluster hole for this indicator light. Paint to come. Finally, out of harms way I drilled a hole in the instrument cluster main body to fit the factory indicator light wiring connector through. 

IMG_2037.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2041.jpg

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

I always take a deep breath before cutting on something NOS...so with a dremel/ cutting wheel and drill bit I went to town on a factory fresh bumper. With this I'll be running a hawse fairlead and Maximus winch hook anchor (powder coated black), followed by stock location front bumper and my hidden winch set up.

IMG_2081.jpg

IMG_2091 (1).PNG

Soon enough I'll be taking this, the rear step/ frame brackets, fuel skid, factory hitch, and a number of goodies to the powder-coater so all is the same color black.

I bought a tilt, manual trans steering column off eBay years back as my MJ didn't come with a tilt column. Finally getting around to rebuilding it and replacing as much of the plastic internals as possible since the current hazard switch didn't work (turns out inside there were broken pieces), in addition to a new ignition lock cylinder and ignition switch. Also putting new outside upper and lower shells on, as well as a Steadfast steering column security collar (these are no longer available, but I had purchased two of them back in 2001) for theft prevention.

IMG_2129.jpg

IMG_2131.jpg

Also been cleaning up various components as I have time -- today's smaller project was replacing the shaggy filthy door lock & release rod sleeves with some heavy duty fuel injector wiring sheath from Waytek Wiring. 

IMG_2110.jpg