Son of Stink

Unlike Jeep, GM stamped no part#’s on the switches. The Camaro window switch is #10098781 as marked on the box. I have no idea what part# the C/K switch is because no markings. When I have time I’m going to take a field trip to a local yard and explore those 80’s and 90’s GM’s as I think there can be much to share. Have you even seen the rear control arms on that 3rd gen Camaro/ Firebird… look to be identical to the XJ front arms. What’s also interesting is that some of those — and I want to say the ‘89 or ‘90 — could be ordered with a rear Dana 44, most likely with same back plates as MJ/ XJ. I never got digging that far as I decided to go rear disc setup. 

Many thanks!

Currently taking a couple steps backward… Removing fender flares and degreasing paint where Chief decals will go. Never used a soy-based degreaser, but this stuff works great.

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

Been studying up (watching YouTube videos) on laying graphics. First time doing it and want things to go well. The goal is to start next weekend.

Unbagged the Chief decals and am beyond thrilled Graphics Express provided extended lengths of the body/ bed stripes so owners can trim where they feel is best. The only way to go. It’s going to be challenging getting the areas that need a little more attention right, specifically – door to rockers, cab and rear bed corners. I want to jambs and gaps proper also. Decided I’m going to start with paper templates in those areas for sanity to get everything dialed then trimmed prior to application. A 6’ cutting mat, metal ruler, and plethora of new x-acto blades are on the way.

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

I decided to create graphic templates cut to size before trimming out the final. Three years ago I ordered several sets of gloss black graphics that I won’t be using, as matte black will match flares, etc better. These gloss black ones will be used as templates. Factory Chief graphics I learned didn’t wrap into the jamb areas of the door or bed gap; and the ‘top’ stripe of the main lower graphic panels are supposed to be centered in the sheet metals 45-degree angle lower body line.

So I started trimming to size, driver side door graphic first. It took me all four driver side scrap door graphics to cut one out, 98% of how it should be. I still need to take a sliver off the rear most vertical line so it has the same gap/ paint reveal as the rest of the decals. I used paper to get the front and rear shape of the door correct and traced that on to the graphic before cutting/ test fitting to size. This panel took me close to 4 hours to get near dialed. Insane.

IMG_0961.jpg

Getting down to righting wrongs, it always bugged me how the factory handled the cab and bed corner on the Chief truck. They didn’t follow enough of the body shape and by doing so more paint was visible outside the graphic area than should have been. So, I cut how I felt it looked best, having more horizontal coverage. This one didn’t take nearly as long as the door – and the bed sides were God-sent by comparison. Simple lines, simple cuts.

Step 1:

IMG_0970.jpg

Step 2:

IMG_0971.jpg

Step 3:

IMG_0974.jpg

Step 4:

IMG_0976.jpg

Finally got it:

IMG_0977.jpg

Will tackle the smaller band of stripes templates that are placed above these soon. Once I recover from these. And again, I realize I make it all harder than it needs to be. Jamb wrapped graphics would look just as good, but my crazy self prefers to lay these out in a way that I can sleep at night. Graphic Express and Phoenix Graphics do an amazing job on these. Couldn’t be building Chief’s 36 years later without them.

Looks like a Chief is taking shape – and yes, there is a lower graphic panel that goes on the rocker.

IMG_0979.jpg

And here’s the inspiration behind it…from a Jeep calendar I got from Red Mistress. I can trace all the pain of this graphic cutting insanity back to him. 😊

IMG_0984.jpg

Jeep employee from 1965 to 1999 that I got lots of nos parts from told me that the decal installers was worst job at the factory.

No doubt even the most experienced factory installer didn’t get them on as good as we all know you will.

Probably the degree of difficulty installing the complex Chief decals is why don’t see many.

Get calendar print framed, dealerships rectangle prints without fitment holes always had silver aluminum frame.

C5D6B508-1BEA-422C-A99C-010F2C171E14.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Had to get it right – couldn’t reassemble the dash without getting the switch pods and lighting 100%. (Plus, I needed a break from cutting/ fitting Chief graphics.) The first rev of the overlays looked right but didn’t backlight in the exact color and illumination as factory jeep. Wasn’t right. Had to match factory white pale blue/green – or bust. Finally got it! And looks great! These pics were taken in a dark garage, with some lighting… so not true dead of night pics.

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1171.jpg

Also addressed a nit of the manual efan override switch face indicator. Since grounding is what powers the efan on when the switch is thrown, the amber indicator light doesn't get power. Fix was swapping the rocker face with a NOS rear wash/wipe face (same one used for the winch in/out momentary). Life is good.

IMG_1204.jpg

Back to graphics cutting…

I decided it was time to finish up the interior. Fully aware that my MJ’s dashboard is 36 years old and made mostly of plastic, I made sure to grease both the dash overlay clip holes (dash side) and then overlay clips themselves for ease of install/ less risk of main dash breakage before installing the NOS piece. I also lowered the steering column for installation clearance and then clipped/ screwed the overlay into place.

IMG_1266.jpg

The lower dash panel is always a good time. I ended up drilling two new holes to get things lined up without tension or stress on that panel – one at the center most mount (behind the ashtray) and driver side far left screw under the HVAC vent. All else lined up perfectly. Had to be done, so those two off screws would lay flat as they should. Something I don’t like seeing is wiring, so I decided to cut-to-size/ install baffles for the lower dash grille openings (where XJ tweeters go). Nice and clean. No visible ugly.

IMG_1274.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

The lower steering column dash overlay insert I have is all wonky. Didn’t notice before refinishing. I guess my steering column must have been off-center for the first 230K and re-shaped the plastic. Yes, it looks like I can sand it true from the backside since there is some extra plastic, but front side is off too. Need to find another to refinish and pop into place.

IMG_1269.jpg

And there she be, 99% all together done on the inside. The final stretch is a long one and it’s tempting to just turn up the heat to get it done, but don’t want to make that mistake. If anything, I’m being extra cautious/ slow for that very reason.

IMG_1261.jpg

Ok…back to the graphics. Got to cut them.

No way -- Jeep ain't that particular.

I have a couple spare wood grain and silver grain column inserts that aren't wonky and fit perfect. Just ordered a couple black ones off eBay that look to be straight in pics, but will see. I know I have at least one NOS black, but need to track it down. 

My aim is to drive it Sunday’s at least twice a month. Would love to take it to a show, but there just isn’t anything Jeep or 4wd related out here in the Bay Area. We have Good Guys shows and local meet ups — but mainly classics, muscle cars, and imports. For the most part in CA, an old Jeep is an old Jeep. The end. 

2 hours ago, Gjeep said:

For the most part in CA, an old Jeep is an old Jeep.

I feel that. Sometimes I get those who have rekindled memories with an MJ in their life. I will say I did see some get excited to see an old Jeep truck at the most recent car show I attended. But otherwise I feel ya G.

19 hours ago, Gjeep said:

For the most part in CA, an old Jeep is an old Jeep. The end. 

Not true down here in SoCal.  Numerous weekly car shows with a huge variety of vehicles.  The last time I took my MJ, people were swooning over it.

That being said, I've lived in the SF Bay Area and understand how everyone is overwhelmed with the "tech grind" lifestyle...

Cut. Wasn’t near as bad as I thought it would be – had a good night rest, 5 hours with scissors/ blade and the graphic trimming is done. Sure, I see spots, am somewhat cross-eyed now and have a mild headache, but worth it. I only mis-cut the passenger cab corner (yes, I re-did it), and I’m ashamed to admit I botched a straight cut for the tailgate cross stripe (no idea how, it’s just measurement and straight cut. Re-cut a new). Finally, for peace of mind, I cut a second set of door ‘Chief’ graphics just in case I have issue when installing. 

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

I decided it would be best to trim to size the upper set of stripes for the Chief graphics. Glad I did, as it took some time and was a bit more challenging than expected. Based on photos/ research, this graphics stack is slightly less tall than the what the factory offered. The taillight ‘stop’ is how I learned this. Not a bit deal as I just round-cut the third from bottom stripe versus a straight cut at the taillight.

IMG_1336.jpg

IMG_1337.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

• 3 months later...

Just asking, has anyone heard from him? I have really been following his build and its been months since anything.  Just asking to make sure everything with HIM is ok.  Just would like to know about why we really here.  The People!