'06 Liberty CRD (4.10 axles, skids and new coils installed!)

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(copied from my post in the Pub)

Where there's a will, there's a way. 

so I saw a craiglist ad for a dealership sign located in Cincinnati

85210716_2957992094243888_5416199458155134976_o.jpg

the ad said "bring a bunch of guys, it's heavy" so I rented a small trailer, grabbed a hand cart and went for a 4 hour drive all by myself. :D   turns out it was heavy, but it's heaviness was no match for my understanding of physics. :L:  shoved the dolly under the one side, strapped it on, and pivoted the whole thing over on it's back so I could push it out the door on 4 wheels.  then I reversed the pivot at the trailer for an upright journey back to michigan (using like a dozen straps).  once I got home I put it back down on all 4 wheels to push it up against the house where it sat for a few days under a plastic cover.

eventually I up-righted it again, stripped it of all the fragile items (tv, dvd player, etc), then padded and boxed it up for the journey to GA. 

20200402_125408.jpg

20200402_144525.jpg

20200403_133341.jpg

then it was back up against the house for a couple days

20200403_155755.jpg

but how could I get it to GA?  a trailer rental costs a couple hundred bucks for a one-way trip ("in town" was only 20 bucks).  can't afford that, but I can afford some 2x4s, so I built a roof rack and pulley attachment point so I could use the winch to help hoist it up. :holdwrench:  

20200404_113239.jpg

20200413_154209.jpg

I even was able to use the spare tire bracket bolts! :D

20200413_154229.jpg

before that I had to cut the bottom steel plate off because it was just too insanely heavy with it on.  ended up putting that plate inside the Jeep thanks to my glorious fold forward KK seat. :D  that's 1/4" plate there. 

20200408_200320.jpg

then after more strapping and screwing and lag screws and chewing gum I felt I was ready for the trip south. 

20200414_133442.jpg

turned out to be a very uneventful trip aside from the weird wind noises above my head. and so that brings us to the present time.  tomorrow I'll reverse the procedure and get it down from the Jeep (now with help from my pop and bro-in-law).  I bought a set of casters so once down I can push it around and into the garage.  much much much later on (once the various travel bans are lifted) it'll be loaded into my trailer and delivered to it's new home with a fellow CC member. :L:

added a thing today :D 

20200420_123741.jpg

no idea what it might have come from originally (just a random ebay special), but it's made from aluminum and finally tells the world I have a turbo Jeep :D 

• 4 weeks later...

today I upgraded the front speakers.  it was a chore and a half because I believed the info I found on the internet. :doh:  the doors are 6.75" (not 6.5) and the dash are... something less than the 3.5" that was recommended.  But I persevered and fabbed adapters out of the old speaker housings for the doors and hacked out a bit of the dash to fit the 3.5s. :D 

The sound is much better than the paper cones.  well worth the effort.  :L:  Though next time I'll buy 6.75s and 3 inchers.  :grinyes:

well, she's got 200k now so the numbers aren't what they used to be.  plus small is relative.  for the camper (3500#): upper teens.  20 if on a perfectly flat land.  (cough-OHIO-cough) :D   with my MJ trailer I can get mid 20s but I drive faster so I'm sure that hurts a bit. 

My transmission pan (45RFE) had some rust cancer on it, the only rust on the entire vehicle.  Apparently it's a pretty common thing.  Plus is was leaking from the back corner where the RTV failed, so I decided to swap it out yesterday.  I also replaced the flat filter and the spin-on/canister filter.  What a mess that was, lol.  Since I didn't care about the pan, I drained it the easy way, via 7/16" drill bit:laugh:, before I unbolted it (still made a mess though).  The new pan has a drain plug, which is nice.  I underestimated the amount of fluid the pan held though....I bought 5 quarts and ended up having to run back down to AA for 4 more, and used just about all of them.  Now I can drive it for a week or so, then pull the drain and refill it with 9 new quarts of fluid and complete a full "flush".  I do have to say that it shifts much smoother now.

output (84).jpg

output (85).jpg

output (86).jpg

output (87).jpg

already done it a couple times now.  plus the one time I, um... sorta broke the pan.  the Jeep slid off the jack while I was jacking it up and the pan came down on the stand that happened to be right there at that time.  man, that was a mess.  :sad2:  that's when I found out that other Chrysler rides shared the same trans and pan. :D 

• 2 weeks later...

ordered some replacement stock CRD springs today. :D    had been dreaming of some OME coils/shocks but I just can't swing that level of fundage. :(  plus places are showing it on backorder so who knows when I'd get it anyway. 

Should be here in a week. :crossfingers:

I'm still kicking myself.....I went to a new junkyard a couple months ago, just to check it out.  Didn't take my full complement of tools because I wasn't sure what would be there, if anything.  They had an 04-05 KJ in there with completely brand new (shiny paint and stickers still on them) front strut assemblies on it.  They couldn't have had more than a couple hundred miles on them.  I didn't pull them because I was lazy and didn't have the tools needed with me (they were about 45 minutes away back at the house).  I thought about running back to grab them but didn't.

I'm assuming the CRD springs are a bit more "robust" than the gasser springs, yes?  :laugh:

just discovered that my cooling fan works if either of the Hi and Lo relays are plugged in, but turns off if both are plugged in at the same time. 

hurray for old Jeeps!  truly the spice of life!  :D

:fistshake2:

the big debate is swapping in coils, or a partial teardown to install the 4.10 axles and such.  Lord knows I've got nowhere to go in it, but funds are low should one of these used parts need some improvements. 

24 minutes ago, Pete M said:

the big debate is swapping in coils, or a partial teardown to install the 4.10 axles and such.  Lord knows I've got nowhere to go in it, but funds are low should one of these used parts need some improvements. 

You may as well swap axles. No sense in pulling the springs twice.