'06 Liberty CRD (4.10 axles, skids and new coils installed!)

um, thanks?  :laugh: 

there are no bad Jeeps, only bad owners who put angry eyes and lightbars on them before doing any preventative maintenance.  and bad bean counters who put bad transmissions in them.

can't remember if I added this update or not but the alternator smelled like burning electronics so I swapped it out with the one from my spare drivetrain.

20200929_085423.jpg

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oh, and I scored a pile of spare parts from a junkyard CRD including front shafts (which are not shared with v6 KJs) and wheelbearings so I can finally figure out what the whirring noise is at 45-50mph.  (also a turbo and computers and other little parts but I don't need those as soon)

• 3 weeks later...

suddenly getting a weird bad vibration in reverse. :(   upon closer inspection the front shaft moves up when shifted into reverse waaaay more than it moves down when shifted into drive.  I think one of my front diff mounts has died, but I'll do a more thorough look-see when I finally get around to swapping out the wheelbearings and shafts.  I think I gotta get mom's car in working order first though (the bushigns I ordered have finally arrived).  and that won't happen until after I get the wood stove installed. 

I'll get to my baby... eventually. :( 

Check that rzeppa joint on the front DS.  If you see a ring of grease flung all around the floorboard above it, she's toast.  Easily rebuildable, but kind of a pita to get all the bolts out on the TC end to drop the shaft.

I don't even know where the differential bushings are on these things, lol.  I should probably crawl under mine and figure that out at some point.  I seriously only drive mine 1X per week....and thats only if the weather is nice on the day I decide to drive it:laugh:. I'm having too much fun (and saving so much gas) driving the Focus as a DD.

6 hours ago, Pete M said:

suddenly getting a weird bad vibration in reverse. :(   upon closer inspection the front shaft moves up when shifted into reverse waaaay more than it moves down when shifted into drive.  I think one of my front diff mounts has died, but I'll do a more thorough look-see when I finally get around to swapping out the wheelbearings and shafts.  I think I gotta get mom's car in working order first though (the bushigns I ordered have finally arrived).  and that won't happen until after I get the wood stove installed. 

I'll get to my baby... eventually. :( 

Solid axle swap time! :roflmao:

no sense in making your daily driver a wheeling rig though. At least until you get a daily driveable MJ. :peep:

1 minute ago, 89 MJ said:

Solid axle swap time! :roflmao:

no sense in making your daily driver a wheeling rig though. At least until you get a daily driveable MJ. :peep:

just drop off that pallet of money and I'll get right on it :D 

• 3 weeks later...

old on the left.  new old on the right.  both are shot but the new one is juuuuust better enough I guess.  vibration has stopped when in reverse.  if it happens again I'm injecting urethane into the voids to make a solid unit. 

20201229_230213.jpg

4 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

i smell a money making opportunity. 

I thought that too, but haven't yet been able to find an off the self bushing that fits.  eventually I'm going to press out the rotted bushing and get an accurate dimension. 

it's purely vibration absorption, there's no real flex involved (or at least there shouldn't be as it's just a mount for the differential).  the most common fix (aside from a random junkyard part that just happens to be a bit better) is to remove the bushing and cast the whole thing in urethane.  not as absorbent but works all the same to hold up the diff.  the problem I was having with the old is the rubber at the top was crushing so much that the diff was rising up and contacting the engine, causing a bad vibration.  come to think of it, this issue may not even happen in the v6 KJs.  that would explain why I found it hard to get opinions on what to do. 

• 1 month later...

don't think I shared a pic of the subwoofer's new home.  tucked behind the rear seat.  I feel bad for guys that think they can only get bass with a giant dual 12" box eating up all their cargo space.  buy quality and feed it all the power it can handle. :D  that's my beloved Solo Baric in there.  8" of furious aggression turning hundreds and hundreds of watts into glorious door thumping.  first used in my '88 MJ back in ~'98.  then moved to my Dakota, then the minivan, and then stored for the last bunch of years.  oh how I have missed you.   :jammin: 

20200707_145354.jpg