'06 Liberty CRD (4.10 axles, skids and new coils installed!)

yeah, I'm leaning that way.  I mean, where do I need to drive in the next couple weeks anyways?  plus I'll be swapping out the hitch for a rust-free one and adding in my various factory skidplates. :D   should be fun! 

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

progress has been made.  out with the old, rusty axle and hitch.  I've been in southern junkyards so much lately that I'd apparently forgotten just how horrible it is to work on a rusty rig. :(  today was an eye opener.  most of my time was spent getting the axle out.

20200612_165015.jpg

20200612_165022.jpg

and in with the new and non-rusty.  got the fuel tank skid and rust free hitch in place, but couldn't find the rust free bolts I know I have so I decided that was a good time to stop for the day and clean up my work area. 

20200612_192135.jpg

coils are swapped, front diff is installed.  tomorrow I deal with a snapped bolt and then reassemble the front suspension. 

also 2 more ant bites.  damn those little ladies!  :fistshake2: 

20200617_175608.jpg

Ouch on the ants, lol.

I feel your pain on the axle swaps.....I spent the better part of yesterday in my buddy's driveway trying to swap UCA/LCA's, shocks, ball joints and a bunch of assorted little bracketry on the front end of his Suburban.  Holy HECK are 1/2-3/4 ton suspension parts heavy.  I'm used to little lightweight stuff on Jeeps and my Focus.  At one point, one of the knuckles/unit bearings slipped free and I grabbed the falling mass of cast iron...just about broke my arm :laugh:

And torsion bar suspensions are not friendly.  At all.

and they aren't even the fire ants.  these are little ants that apparently don't like getting squished when I roll over to get under the Jeep. :dunno:

not much happened today.  too much rain.

ran all the scrap into town today.  lots and lots of dead weight I don't need lying around.  got a whole $5 for it.  man have steel prices dropped. :( 

not much in the way of progress, but I did manage to install the t-case skidplate. :D 

20200617_175652.jpg

thank goodness that skidplate was installed.  had an issue with pulling the trans pan (popped down on it's own with no prying like last time but didn't sall because I had several bolts in half-way) and the ensuing tidal wave flowed over the trans crossmember and the skidplate then carried the fluid waaaaaaaay beyond my catch pan.  :doh:  yup, that was a mess and half.  :laugh:   but I managed to catch most of it and so now the transmission filters have been changed and most of the fluid replaced (gotta wait until the Jeep is level to put in the rest). 

stopped by the junkyard and picked up some rear shocks and bolts.  :D  but I beat myself up pretty good removing/hauling XJ stuff out of the yard (1/4 mile all uphill) so I'm taking a break before installing the KJ stuff.  probably later today I'll get the last things on and get it back sitting on its tires.

minor setback.  I got the rear of the Jeep on the ground and found I didn't gain any lift over the old coils. :(  I postponed the other frontend projects so I could get it on the ground and level.  I did gain up front, but the rear is still saggy.  I know I have weight in the Jeep (tools), but didn't expect a net gain of 0 from brand new coils.  :dunno:  guess I need to send off an email and see what IDParts thinks.   sigh.  at least the rear is easy to add spacer lift.  :D

20200622_110659.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

new coils are in and everything is as it should be.  :L:  without the heavy things inside it sits level, so I took it all apart once again and slapped in an extra set of upper isolators.  with the tools back in we're good to go. :D  tomorrow if the rain lets me I'll wrap up the last couple things and take her for a test drive.  

I'm so geeked to have a suspension again! :comanche:

20200705_193429.jpg