'06 Liberty CRD (4.10 axles, skids and new coils installed!)

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mines still an infant compared to you guys, lol.  It's an 02, but it's only got 140K on it.  I bought it for a steal off a dealership used lot (trade in) about 5(?) years ago with 58K on it.  It's really not been that bad to me....I put new pads/rotors on the front and rear shoes (drums) once, a couple coil packs, an oil pressure sensor, IAC, muffler an alternator, and 3 radiators in it to date.  I had a shop replace the original radiator and they put in an el cheapo replacement that leaked within a month, so they put a new one in again for free.  That one started leaking about a year later, so I took it back again.  I agreed to pay the labor for replacement and they ate the cost of yet another new radiator (which was not another el cheapo one, lol).

The whole broken spark plug in the head debacle I just got through I'm not really blaming on it so much.  I pretty much caused that to happen, but it was because of the craptastick cooling system/heater core that keeps getting an air pocket every year and I lose my heat just in time for the cold weather.  My core flushing procedure, I think, was the ultimate cause of the plug getting stuck and then breaking off.  But, in the process of fixing that, I put all new everything in while I had it all torn down.  I don't expect any problems out of the engine now for as long as I keep owning it.  I'll probably drive it to 200k (another 3-4 years), then look for something else....most likely a gently used Trailhawk.

I did drive it to work today....I feel bad for just letting it sit in the garage and gather dust (while I rip around in my little hot rod Focus, that gets easily 2X the gas mileage:laugh:).  Here she is in all of her pavement-pounding glory....

20200228_085238.jpg.4ea173efa46bc8f5544502591e79fdd3.jpg

in today's adventure we celebrate how nice it is to have a spare drivetrain lying around.  :D  Stole these from the spare CRD pile o' parts to fix my shaft damaged boot and adjust my alignment a bit.  also on the docket is replacing the rear bump stops with some junkyard bits in better shape.

20200301_122027.jpg

You should have enough spare KJ parts to build one from scratch:laugh:

Ive got to do auto-trans service on mine, I'm about 15k overdue.  I had the dealership do it way back when for about $200, and came to find out they just did an elcheapo fluid flush of sorts.  Not paying that again....my trans pan gasket is leaking a tiny bit, plus the pan itself has some rust spots on it (the only rust on the whole vehicle, go figure).  I'm gonna buy a new pan with a drain plug in it, a lubelocker gasket, and a new set of filters (45RFE has 2 filters, one is a regular flat filter plus it also has a spin-on canister filter).  I'll replace the pan and filters, then drain the pan a couple times over a few months of driving so all of the fluid will eventually get replaced.

life is full of fun little setbacks. :doh:  This is a pic of the inner end of the 2 tierods.  it would appear that '05 KJs have different steering parts than '06.  well, at least now I can put the original in a vice to see if I can free it up. 

20200301_134223.jpg

You should have enough spare KJ parts to build one from scratch

Ive got to do auto-trans service on mine, I'm about 15k overdue.  I had the dealership do it way back when for about $200, and came to find out they just did an elcheapo fluid flush of sorts.  Not paying that again....my trans pan gasket is leaking a tiny bit, plus the pan itself has some rust spots on it (the only rust on the whole vehicle, go figure).  I'm gonna buy a new pan with a drain plug in it, a lubelocker gasket, and a new set of filters (45RFE has 2 filters, one is a regular flat filter plus it also has a spin-on canister filter).  I'll replace the pan and filters, then drain the pan a couple times over a few months of driving so all of the fluid will eventually get replaced.
Look into a band adjustment while your in there

Stock 1988 swb 4.0 ax15 np 231.

Sweet.  How much toe did you set over factory?  Mine always used to track straight as an arrow until a few years ago I got new tires on it and got a "lifetime" alignment from the shop.  Ever since then it slowly tracks to the right, to the point it annoys me.  I've taken it back there 3X and each time they said they tweaked it a bit and it's fixed.  It is not fixed.  I don't have any unusual tire wear, but rotate them every third oil change (about every 10K miles, give or take....).  I just want the thing to stay pointed straight when I'm on the interstate.  I might just fiddle with it myself if I can.

31 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

Sweet.  How much toe did you set over factory? 

:laugh:

I literally just jacked up the front tires (as close to the tire as I could get the 2 jacks) 'til they were juuuuust off the ground, set the steering wheel to straight, and eyeballed the outer edges of the rear tires and then compared to the fronts.    drivers side was just a hint of tow, pass side had a lot of toe.  I tweaked it until it matched the drivers side.  took it for a test drive and all felt fine.  pulled back in to the drive and kept the wheel straight as I stopped.  got out and eyeballed again and it looked same as before (this is important since jacking up from the lower arms tweaks the camber for sure and maybe the toe too).  both tires have a hint of toe.  Before I head north later this weak I might break out a tape measure.  :D 

if it stops raining I can maybe snap a pic for ya. 

Cool, thanks.  All this whiz bang computertry crap has got my front end geometry AFU.  I need to go old  skool and fix it, I think.

<<insert old man Simpson emoji here....old guy cursing at the clouds>>

:L:

took it into town today.  drives much better but I think I'm going to do one more round on toe-out.  and I'm getting a bang noise from the upper arm pass side.  I can shake it slightly with my hand.  :dunno:  So tomorrow I'll pull it apart yet again and see if I can't find the issue.  yay. 

well, she survived the 750 mile journey north.  although it appears that my speed sensor is dead so I did it without the speedo or odo.  Just gotta remember to add the mileage to the oil change schedule.  But she drove fine without it so... whatever. :dunno:  I can leave that for later.

Rear diff speed sensor?  How in Hades does that just up and die???

I drive mine by sound and tach on the interstate (and pretty much everywhere else too).  About 2300 rpm in O/D on the hi way is right at 70 mph.  Around town, I can just feel what's about 35-45 mph.

well, like most things it was working fine... right up until it didn't. :laugh:  I've got a GPS right on the dash so it's not like I need it.  hey, I bet there's a perfectly good one on that 4.10 axle I have back in GA!  I just have to remember to add 1500 miles to the oil change interval once I fix it. 

• 1 month later...

Oooops, that stinks.

I've not had the pleasure of the lock actuators (yet), but I did have to replace the passenger side window motor assembly.  Twice.  First time I did it and got it all back together, I guess I didn't seat the little clips that hold the glass to the track just right, and the whole glass popped out of place the next day when my wife tried to roll down the window.  So I had to rip it all apart again and reseat the clips/fasteners.  I feel your pain....:laugh: