'06 Liberty CRD (4.10 axles, skids and new coils installed!)

I'm under this thing so often I'm not sure I could miss it :D 

the knock turned out to be a loose rim (the one I removed to fix the dust shield apparently didn't get retightened with the lug wrench), and the AC works again (though I'm not sure if me messing around in the dash fixed it or if it's intermittent, only time will tell). 

and the weird stain on the junkyard hood is gone!  :banana:  I hit it with some rubbing compound and it has disappeared like magic.  :D  poof!  

Didn't take out the stone chips or hail damage though.  :laugh:

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On June 17, 2020 at 10:21 PM, Pete M said:

ran all the scrap into town today.  lots and lots of dead weight I don't need lying around.  got a whole $5 for it.  man have steel prices dropped. :( 

not much in the way of progress, but I did manage to install the t-case skidplate. :D 

20200617_175652.jpg

I need me one of these....I've never seen one on any KJ down here in the junkyards.

If you happen across another one, grab it for me and I'll pay you for it, plus shipping, and a CC donation:beerchug:

I've got 2.  :L:  problem is I don't know which is an early KJ and which is a late KJ since mine is a diesel KJ.  :dunno:  I'll dig them out later and measure the bolt dimensions.  do you have the other skids?

that is the hope.   :D    The plan is to install them in the morning and drive to town.  I still have plans to rewire the rear ABS sensor wires into the fronts and trick the system into giving me back my cruise control, but that's a project for another day.  next up is the brakes on the durango and the wheelbearing on the cruiser

On 7/17/2020 at 9:55 PM, 1989commanche said:

Harbor farts sells those rivets and the tool to install them with probably less than 20 for the tool and some rivets.

3161DFB8-07E8-412E-B63C-C5E431BB8997.png

FWIW, I did finally install these rivets (with the Horrible Freight tool) yesterday.  It worked perfectly.

Right into the drawer of one-time use/purchase tools it goes:laugh:  I'll probably never need to use it again.

you say that now....   :D 

swapped in the ABS wires.  what a pain in the butt.  never did get the drivers side connected because digging into that side of the engine bay is a project unto itself, but it doesn't matter because apparently I only need the one. :D  so speedo/odo works again. :banana:

the AC worked great at the start of the day and diminished in effectiveness as I drove along.  when I got to Lowes I checked and the E-fan wasn't doing a thing so I pulled a relay and it now runs on low speed.  didn't really help much as the air coming out of the vents was still barely cooler than the 91* outside. 

the trans is shifting a little weird so after it cools down I'll check the fluid level.  I also need to pull the battery cables and see if that resets anything (gotta pull the battery anyways to get at that other ABS connector)

but that is all for another morning because I'm not working in this heat for something I don't need right now.  :crazy: 

Pull the cables and hold the terminals together for a minute or 2.  That is supposed to discharge any capacitors or other electrical thingamajigs in the entire system (basically a factory reset).  Any time I do anything substantial I always do that so it can re-establish a baseline.

Let me tell you, that 45RFE transmission sure shifts a bit "harsh" until it relearns things after that, lol.  Especially the 1-2 shift.  It eventually settles down though. 

On 7/19/2020 at 6:35 AM, mjeff87 said:

I do not.  I'm skidless....:laugh:

these are the 2 I have.  note the bolt holes aren't quite the same.  the lower elongated holes in the pic are the frame holes, the holes to the left on the parts are the crossmember holes.  on your Jeep there should be some hexagonal shaped holes for each of the 4 mounting bolts' press in nuts. 

20200721_144304.jpg

step one tackling the cooling/AC issue is complete.  I made a little jumper and can turn the fan on hi-speed with it.  no test drive yet to see if that fixes it.  (spent the day doing other things)

trans was a quart low.  all is well. :D 

my little jumper wire kept the fans running on high and the AC running cool.  :D 

the sub works great now.  it's sooooo nice to finally hear all of the notes in a song!  :jammin:

getting some whine in the speakers when the headlights are on.  :doh:

I'm getting a loud noise from 35-55mph that sounds like a wheel bearing.  but it doesn't change pitch when I turn left or right, rather it increases and decreases in intensity when I go over a bump and the suspension cycles.  :dunno:  I guess that could be the little bearings in the front diff that support the shafts?

that part isn't new-to-the-Jeep though. :dunno:  the changes since before the noise were: front diff, rear diff, and the angles of the front halfshafts.  Being that the pitch changes with suspension changes leads me to think the rear axle is out of the picture.  Being that the front diff was empty of oil and sitting under cover behind the barn for a while leads me to think the support bearings in the diff which were the most .  Should have changed them when it was easy. :( 

this is all a logical decision though, and that's good for a guess, but not good for a "I know". 

been a long time coming, but I'm finally getting around to replacing the fan clutch.  should be here in a couple days.  I'll also be modifying the fan shroud so it's removable with the fan in place.  while I was at it I removed the belt and all the pulleys feel nice and tight.  I've got a slight squeak that comes and goes but at least none of the bearings are completely shot yet. 

20200801_181601.jpg

new fan clutch is in. :D engine holds its temp better (still need to test while pulling a trailer), but the A/C is still luke warm once temps go above 80*.  :(  rolling the windows down felt better than the A/C. :crazy:   with my bypass of the fan relay I'm now pulling maximum air through the radiators to no net gain.  I might have to suck it up and hit a repair shop to check the refrigerant levels. 

I did my best to dig into the dash to get at the module that talks to the key fobs and discovered that I don't have such a thing. :thinking: there's a molded spot for it just like I saw in pics, but no module there.  which is weird since I clearly have keyfobs that unlock the doors (when they want to).  must be integrated into the BCM in '06 I guess.  :dunno:  but the fact I was messing with it made the fobs suddenly start working again!  but then they stopped again once I made it to town and wiggling the BCM and wiring didn't fix it again.  :doh:

I think I might rename the project thread to "2 steps forward, one step back..." 

Definitely sounds like a low charge on the A/C....you should have about a 20 degree delta over ambient (as a spitball measurement....).

I dropped my KJ off at the local shop for safety inspection, picking it up later this afternoon.  We're leaving for Florida at 0400 Saturday morning trying to make it down there by noon-ish, coming back late next week.  I know myself, and if I don't get a new sticker put on it this week I'll completely forget about it once we get back, and it runs out at the end of the month.  We're taking the wife's Subbie (again) on the trip, so the KJ is  just going to sit in the garage all next week anyway, LOL.

edit:  shop just called, new sticker installed:beerchug: