'06 Liberty CRD (4.10 axles, skids and new coils installed!)

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the KJ behaved today. :cool:   91* on the return trip from the junkyard and the engine temp needle stayed put and she never went into limp mode.  guess it really was time for a new fan clutch. :laugh:  the AC still doesn't work when , but one thing at a time. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, yours is the right color for military insignia.  I say go for it.

I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon showing mine some love.  The paint on it is in good shape (no rust anywhere) but it really needs to be clay-barred and refinished.  I like doing that about as much as going shoe shopping with my wife:laugh:, which means I've never done anything to it except wash it.  I pulled it in the garage and waxed the whole thing while watching football and drinking beer.  4 hours later, it looks alot better, but I need to take it someplace and have someone detail it.

20200920_172644.jpg

20200920_172712.jpg

20200920_172700.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I instantly added front/rear lockers, 37's and a crawl box to the KJ over the weekend, courtesy of the junkyard.  LOL.  Had to get a new head unit to replace my (failing) one, and the KJ I got it from had one of these on the fender.  Can't wait to see how much better it does on the trail now......:laugh:

20201012_131634.jpg

but it only produces extra HP if you take it on a trail  :L:  

as for CRD news, I picked up a transmission skidplate off a junkyard crd on this latest trip north. :banana:  gotta clean it (had like an inch of sludge on it) and bend the one tab a bit, but it's rust free.  I wasn't even the first to find it in the yard, but I was the first to show up with a grinder to cut that last bolt that was spinning 'round and 'round. :D  battery powered grinder for the win!

Newp...she's a pavement queen.  In fact, I haven't even pulled it out of the garage since I waxed it last week, lol.  I was gonna take it to work today but it was raining all day, so I just ran the Focus. :laugh:

I still need to get under it and measure for the TC skid plate.  I'll probably do that tomorrow while I drain the trans pan and add new fluid (ala redneck transmission fluid flush).  My buddy down in the Tidewater area needs my help fixing a 96 XJ that has a vacuum leak...I need to roadtrip down there Sunday to fix that.  Its his son's vehicle who got into a fender bender and munched up the front end.  My guess is the vac canister behind the bumper got munched.  I'm gonna grab a new one from the junkyard and head down there with my tool bag.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting situation with my '04 KJ recently. Had a no start issue, assumed it was the battery, jump did not help. Terminals clean and no wiring issues that I had seen. One click, no crank, no start. I thought maybe no oil (engine burns a lot). Normal oil level.

Original starter and alternator, you figure one of these, right? 

Battery was fully charged and CCA was normal (only 15 month old battery). Battery test came out GOOD for battery.

So after much investigation and swearing, I realized that my AC was no longer working and decided to take the serp belt off.

The car immediately cranked and started, no problem! Eureka!

I had NO IDEA a seized AC clutch/compressor could lead to a no crank, no start.

Maybe I'm dumb but I didn't realize that. Lesson learned/lesson shared.

20 hours ago, Jtslick89 said:

Interesting situation with my '04 KJ recently. Had a no start issue, assumed it was the battery, jump did not help. Terminals clean and no wiring issues that I had seen. One click, no crank, no start. I thought maybe no oil (engine burns a lot). Normal oil level.

Original starter and alternator, you figure one of these, right? 

Battery was fully charged and CCA was normal (only 15 month old battery). Battery test came out GOOD for battery.

So after much investigation and swearing, I realized that my AC was no longer working and decided to take the serp belt off.

The car immediately cranked and started, no problem! Eureka!

I had NO IDEA a seized AC clutch/compressor could lead to a no crank, no start.

Maybe I'm dumb but I didn't realize that. Lesson learned/lesson shared.

Here's another weird one, just in case it happens to you one day.  Mine threw a CEL awhile back for unknown reason.  I don't have a scanner (yet), but you can flash the codes on the odometer with the ignition-key-cycle routine so you can diagnose.  Mine came up with a code for the aux fan relay (which is weird because mine only has one electric fan, no engine driven one like with the HD package, so it's not really an auxiliary fan...).  Fan circuit was fine, relay box checked out ok.  It turns out that my alternator crapped the bed.  Apparently, if that fan relay doesn't see 13.8V or whatever, it throws that code.

New alternator fixed it in a quick, but I thought that's a really weird way to display a bad alternator.  LOL.

On 10/28/2020 at 1:43 PM, mjeff87 said:

Here's another weird one, just in case it happens to you one day.  Mine threw a CEL awhile back for unknown reason.  I don't have a scanner (yet), but you can flash the codes on the odometer with the ignition-key-cycle routine so you can diagnose.  Mine came up with a code for the aux fan relay (which is weird because mine only has one electric fan, no engine driven one like with the HD package, so it's not really an auxiliary fan...).  Fan circuit was fine, relay box checked out ok.  It turns out that my alternator crapped the bed.  Apparently, if that fan relay doesn't see 13.8V or whatever, it throws that code.

New alternator fixed it in a quick, but I thought that's a really weird way to display a bad alternator.  LOL.

That is interesting, yeah I like the ability to flash the codes with the 3 on/off quick cycles.

Yeah it seems like the engine codes don't necessarily correspond to what is actually wrong

• 2 weeks later...

so my sniffer narrowed down the weird electrical burning smell to the alternator.  20 minutes and the alt from my spare motor is on now and sure enough, not only is the burning smell gone, but the squeak is gone too!  :jammin:  I'd say 2 birds, one stone, but it was the same bird causing both problems.  :laugh: 

sooooo glad I didn't try to drive the Libby to the junkyards today. 

20201107_170953.jpg

• 3 weeks later...