'06 Liberty CRD (4.10 axles, skids and new coils installed!)

test drive up to 30mph complete.  nothing blew up or fell off!  :D   there's some scuffing sound when I pull a hard left turn.  guessing that's a brake dust shield that needs to be tweaked.  all in all it felt good and absorbed the bumps quite nicely.  since it insists on raining all day again :crazy:  I think I'll park it and look into that noise another time. 

Happy so far :D 

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

found a place for the subwoofer behind the rear seat.  had to raise the shelf a bit to clear it.

20200707_145354.jpg

and the amp should fit in here (in the dash where the airbag used to reside)

20200707_145112.jpg

not sure anymore.  the tires no longer rub and the new rear axle doesn't even leak!   :doh: 

with 0 ABS sensors working (rear axle is non-abs) the speedometer is likely officially dead though.  I'll try and snag some junkyard ones for the front so I can get my odo back. 

minor setback.  I wired up the amp and subwoofer and I'm getting a crackling noise along with the music.  also the sound coming out of the speaker is quieter than I'd like.  I think I might have to throw money on a new amp with built-in line converter and crossover. :( all my stuff is 20 years old and was super cheap when new. (except for the woofer. that cost me a pretty penny back in the day) 

I haven't given up quite yet.  still have some thoughts to pursue... 

An audiophile I am not.  Heck, I listen to AM talk radio:laugh:. But good on ya for figuring that all out.

I finally got my tow hooks installed yesterday on my KJ.  There is NO good reason to have to pull the entire front clip for that job.  I realized once I got the whole front end reinstalled that I forgot to put those stupid little metal "cups" that bolt into the front crossmember back on.  Oh well, I'm not pulling it all back apart just to put them in.  Nope.  No way.

the frame caps are probably overrated anyway! :D  I've "disassembled" plenty of the front ends, but I don't know if I've ever reinstalled one.  sounds like a pain!

I can be an audiophile when I want to (and have the budget to support it).  I do enjoy quality in my tunes. :cool: but I'm broke and trying to do this on a budget of 0 dollars using 20 year old parts I have lying around (because they just weren't worth enough to sell at the moving sale).  :roflmao:

trust me, there are much better ways to do what I'm doing :L: 

The tricky part is to undo the zillions of little plastic fasteners without destroying them.  As it was, the plastic rivets inside the fender wells are one-time use and you can't get them out without mangling them.  I bought some cheap plastic push rivets at lowes to replace them temporarily but I'm going to run down to the dealership today to see if I can get correct OEM ones.  I learned a trick to popping the fender flare fasteners though.:beerchug:

I replaced all of my rivets with reusable ones.  no regrets. :L:  but I've taken my stuff apart more times than I can count now.

on the subject of little trim fasteners, where has this tool been my whole life!?  :bowdown:  It's in my toolbag now for sure. :D 

s-l1600 5.jpg

I almost went and bought one of those tools, still might just to have.  Dealership had the plastic rivets, and they were quite proud of them....3.60/each.  And I needed 8 of them.  The generic Christmas tree ones don't work quite right, as these fasteners hold the inner fenders to the flares.  My $20 junkyard towhooks have now become $50 ones:mad:

20200713_100804.jpg

4 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

I almost went and bought one of those tools, still might just to have.  Dealership had the plastic rivets, and they were quite proud of them....3.60/each.  And I needed 8 of them.  The generic Christmas tree ones don't work quite right, as these fasteners hold the inner fenders to the flares.  My $20 junkyard towhooks have now become $50 ones:mad:

20200713_100804.jpg

thats really proud, I would have just went to harbor freight to get them, hopefully you have the plastic rivet tool

5 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

20200713_100804.jpg

Shouldve PM'd me, couldve got them cheaper for ya. But like Jdog said, harbor freight has the tool that comes with a few different size rivets.

16 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Shouldve PM'd me, couldve got them cheaper for ya. But like Jdog said, harbor freight has the tool that comes with a few different size rivets.

Ya know, as I was driving out of the dealership parking lot, I remembered where you worked at:laugh:

I do need to run (back) to HF and pick up the tool.  I was just there and bought a cutoff tool and some discs.  The cashier said they were going to be e-mailing out a new coupon later this week, for $25 off anything in the store (no exclusions).  I need to pick up a low profile trolley jack that will fit under the Focus...

did some measuring last week and ordered 10 ft of bigger speaker wire.  today it arrived and I used every last inch of it.  either I'm very good at measuring or I'm insanely lucky.  :peep:  tonight I'll put the dash back together and tomorrow morning I'll take a drive into town and we'll see how far I get.  :comanche:

almost forgot, I added a bit of bling to the Jeep.  :D   bought this exhaust tip like 20 years ago but never used it until now.  had to trim the tip of the pipe and a bit of the plastic bumper but it fits nicely in there. 

20200717_163453.jpg

On 7/13/2020 at 11:59 AM, mjeff87 said:

20200713_100804.jpg

Harbor farts sells those rivets and the tool to install them with probably less than 20 for the tool and some rivets.

3161DFB8-07E8-412E-B63C-C5E431BB8997.png

14 hours ago, Pete M said:

almost forgot, I added a bit of bling to the Jeep.  :D   bought this exhaust tip like 20 years ago but never used it until now.  had to trim the tip of the pipe and a bit of the plastic bumper but it fits nicely in there. 

20200717_163453.jpg

That adds 20 hp instantly, good job:laugh:

I did similar to the Focus.....I painted the resonator and exhaust tip with some hammered black paint.  Lol.

drove in to town today.  nothing fell off, but the AC wouldn't work, there's a humming noise at speed that changes pitch when the suspension flexes (guessing front shafts because the operating angle has changed) and in the last 1/4 mile at 25mph I heard a loud thwack-thwack-thwack-thwack noise (once per tire revolution).  oh, and I can't hear the subwoofer at all with that tiny amp.

2 steps forward, one step back.  :(

but when accelerating from a stop she's MUCH better with those 4.10s  :D 

Keep an eye on that rzeppa joint @ the front output of the TC.  If you look under and see grease flung all around the floor pan, swap it out asap.  BTDT, got the tee shirt.