'06 Liberty CRD (4.10 axles, skids and new coils installed!)

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/7/2020 at 1:01 PM, Pete M said:

found a place for the subwoofer behind the rear seat.  had to raise the shelf a bit to clear it.

20200707_145354.jpg

and the amp should fit in here (in the dash where the airbag used to reside)

20200707_145112.jpg

this one?

that was the first attempt trying to make use of what I had on hand.  it didn't turn out well. :(   I eventually bought the biggest amp I could shove in there.  :L:  but I couldn't remember when I installed the sub and I guess I didn't go back quite enough pages looking for it.  :doh:   It's entirely possible I forgot to snap a photo of the new amp installed. :peep:

20200723_203455.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

it's been sitting for a while and I need it out of the drive so I can bring over the camper to work on it so I fired it up and put it into reverse.  got 20 feet before I heard a horrible clunk sound and the engine shut off. :eek: fearing the worst I cranked the engine a bit and all sounded normal so I fired it up.  sounds fine. :dunno:  out it into reverse again and all was well so I finished reparking it.  came back to it later to fire it up and shift back and forth into reverse and drive.  perfectly normal, but I didn't move anywhere.  pulled codes and came up with P0736 "Gear ratio error in reverse".  asking around to other CRD guys it appears this might be an issue with not enough fluid in the TC which caused it to lock up and stall the engine.  but it could also be that the computer sensed the issue and shut it off.  mildly concerning either way.  :peep:  tomorrow I'll look more into it.  ran out of daylight today chopping wood.

everyone's best guess is the torque converter limit valve spring.  seems to be fairly common on the higher mileage 545rfe's.  some guys have been able to keep driving for a while longer... hopefully I can at least get her back in the driveway. 

looks like a pump rebuild is in my future......  :( 

That's the same trans as I have (gotta love early model '02's:L:).  I have a vested interest in what you discover, lol.  I've only got @ 140K on mine, but I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon.

Found a TSB floating around that may or may not be applicable to you......

https://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_0801605.pdf

Basically, it could be a TCM failure, or if the line pressures aren't within range, you can try replacing the input and output speed sensors.  One or both of them may have gone bye bye.  Hopefully whatever yours is is something cheap and easy.

On 3/15/2021 at 8:18 AM, Pete M said:

everyone's best guess is the torque converter limit valve spring.  seems to be fairly common on the higher mileage 545rfe's.  some guys have been able to keep driving for a while longer... hopefully I can at least get her back in the driveway. 

looks like a pump rebuild is in my future......  :( 

@KFingerlos has some experience with these.  I helped him swap in an upgraded 545RFE into his.  He may be able to give you some good advice.

got it back into the driveway successfully. :banana:  I imagine that means at least nothing is outright broken.  but I never let it come to a stop in gear (locked up at the exact moment I stopped last time).  but whatever.  I'm not going to be able to really dig into it for a couple weeks and am happy it both moved under its own power and is back on concrete.  baby steps. :D 

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Disney last week, and my body is still in its stupid punishment (recovery) phase after too much exertion, so nothing has happened.  It's going to be a few days before I feel up to furthering the "Jeep Life".  :(

On a side note.....how bad was Disney?  Our re-scheduled trip from last year is still on for this year, in late August (to coincide with the food festival at Epcot, as usual).  I'm still a little hesitant about going though 'cause of all the restrictions still in effect.

we've been down several times now since the reopening and we always have a great time. :L:  the biggest thing to get used to is you have to properly wear a mask everywhere that's not your room/car, in a pool, at a "relaxation station", or while actively eating (while both stationary and distanced).  if it's summertime, carry extra masks with you so you can swap them out as the day goes on.  And bring your patience pants, as there are no fast passes at the moment so you'll need to stand in the lines old-school style.  the lines will seem super long due to the distancing requirements, but the wait times seem fairly accurate so that 5 mile long line for Tower of Terror really is only 45 minutes if that's what it says.   read up on tips for getting your Rise of the Resistance virtual line passes, as they go in seconds and you want to be ready at exactly 7am.  most every counter service restaurant uses mobile ordering which is a fantastic upgrade.  food booths still have regular lines.

but honestly, August is so far away that they might loosen the rules by then (now that the vaccine rollout is in full swing).  

Thanks for the intel.  Fast passes I can live without, we really don't ride many rides, and I've ridden the ones I've wanted to already.  But, can you still get park hopper passes?  I'll be pretty upset if not.  We're going down to FL in July to visit our friends north of JAX, driving again, and then flying back down in August for Disney and staying on property.  Our friends are planning to drive down and spend a couple days with us at Disney, they've never been before, and we want to be able to get them to all the different parks they want to go to (hence the park hopper need).

park hopping is indeed back. :L:  current rules are that you can hop starting at 2pm and only if there is availability under the cap (but we were there on "sold out" days and had no trouble hopping)

if you haven't done Rise of the Resistance, you'll want to put that on your must-do list. :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates Pete?

I've got to crawl under mine, probably this weekend, to diagnose an annoying little leak.  About one drop every few days or so and it's driving me batty.  I've been under it once to give a look but I can only see where it's dripping from (the lowest point) and not where it's leaking from.  Need to get the front end up on some ramps so I can get under it better and really look around.  I did see a youtoobs video of a guy who had a leaking o-ring on some kind of sensor in the back of the trans body.  You can buy a new sensor, but he just pulled his and took it to a trans shop to find some new o-rings and reinstalled it.  Hopefully that's what mine is.  I know it's not the pan gasket, it's coming from somewhere above the pan.

not a thing has occurred with the Libby but the battery dying and getting recharged.  :dunno:  maybe later this week I'll fire it up and let it warm up before taking it on a trip around the block.  having your trans lock up and stall the engine is a pretty scary thing and now I'm a little gun shy.  :peep:

oh, and on the Disney front, get your dining reservations as soon as you can.  60 days out for ADRs (at least i think that's the time frame), and as soon as you enter the park for other eateries.  you'll use the app to pick a timeslot for later that day and order your food, then wait until your time has arrived to say "I'm here" and then they make your food.  it takes a bit of getting used to (ordering your dinner at 9am is still weird) but I love it now.  :L:  you can use the app to change your timeslot of need be. 

We don't really eat in the parks, except at Epcot for the Food/Wine festival (and that's an all-day eat-o-thon:laugh:).  We usually eat one day there and just have snacks later for dinner 'cause we're so stuffed, another night at the restaraunt on property, another night up in Disney Springs somewhere.