'06 Liberty CRD (4.10 axles, skids and new coils installed!)

guess I should probably drop in a photo of the pile of spares I just got.  :D  full CRD drivetrain, full set of skidplates, plus full wire harness, plus more.  some is going into my Jeep, some is for spares, the rest I'll probably sell... or store for another day when I drop a crd into an MJ. :D

20200123_123433.jpg20200128_162418.jpg20200128_162433.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the battle dejour.  the shock rusted out and blew.  The rust is horrific, but I already owned most all the big stuff to replace rather than try to salvage the rotted crap.  Just had to buy upper arms.  the struggle is real on those upper arm bolts.  :( 

20200222_170224.jpg

On January 31, 2020 at 8:04 PM, Pete M said:

20200128_162433.jpg

I just now noticed the tote labeled "pinewood derby".  That brought a smile to my face.  I'm certain that my old cars are still stored somewhere at my mom's house.:smile:

the box is from my nephews' pack. :D  Unfortunately I didn't join scouting early enough to do the derbys. :(  But I'm planning on entering the next derby in the adults division. :comanche:  I'm thinking I'll make an MJ 

On the KJ front...  I'm not a violent person, but I'd like to meet whomever designed the upper shock mounts and then punch them in the face repeatedly. 

passenger side is back together again.  Had to use my Tetris skills to get a grinder in the engine bay down to where the rusted bolt was.  that sucked.

but I took the opportunity to install one of my painted Renegade flares. :D  

20200223_155819 2.jpg

spoke too soon.  after a bit of bouncing it up and down the suspension has dropped down firmly on the bumpstops. :doh:   so tomorrow's plan is to get the old coils swapped on to the new shocks.  no end to the fun. 

On 2/22/2020 at 6:04 PM, Pete M said:

the battle dejour.  the shock rusted out and blew.  The rust is horrific, but I already owned most all the big stuff to replace rather than try to salvage the rotted crap.  Just had to buy upper arms.  the struggle is real on those upper arm bolts.  :( 

20200222_170224.jpg

Just saw this.  Yeah, those UCA bolts are a real treat, especially the rear ones, and especially especially the driver side rear one.  I had to replace my UCA's due to a bad upper balljoint on the driverside, and I just did both so both sides were new.  I can confirm that job was one of the worst ever repairs I've done on any vehicle I've ever worked on, probably only second to the timing belt/water pump on my buddy's VW Golf.

Of course, if say......the ENTIRE engine wouldn't be in the way, the job would probably be alot easier:laugh:

I've won my battle with the upper bolts.  I got lucky and the 2 drivers sides weren't fused to the bushings and so it merely required contortionist levels of tetris-ing to get them out. 

today's battle is swapping the pass side coil.  don't know why the other side was so freaking easy.  :dunno:

back on all 4 feet.  New upper arms and new-to-her knuckles, unitbearings, lower balljoints, and shocks.  and for some reason I seem to have gained an inch of height in the front.  :thinking:

also finished all of the renegade flares. :D  But I'm beat and running out of temperature and light so her bath will wait until tomorrow. 

20200226_173402.jpg

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

back on all 4 feet.  New upper arms and new-to-her knuckles, unitbearings, lower balljoints, and shocks.  and for some reason I seem to have gained an inch of height in the front.  :thinking:

also finished all of the renegade flares. :D  But I'm beat and running out of temperature and light so her bath will wait until tomorrow. 

20200226_173402.jpg

Looks good! The flat hood and the new flares are a good combo.

yeah, she's really coming together.  Just need her to stay together. :D 

I may go back to raid the rear coils off that junkyard CRD.  I've got 2-3" of up travel available up front and 0" out back.  :(  I mean, they can't be worse than my current ones, right? 

swapped in some junkyard coils in the back and gained a whole inch.  big whoop. :(  Now the debate to exchange and try another set of coils.  :dunno:

But I figured now was as good a time as any to switch to my other rims with the not-cut-to-hell tires on them. :D  265/70s with just a bit of life left in them.

20200227_165658.jpg

I have not. Let's see, went thru an AC condenser, a water pump, 2 radiators, lower arms (recall fix), valve cover gaskets, O2 sensors, idler pulley, overflow bottle, ignition coil pack, radiator hoses, vacuum line coming from airbox, rock rails rusted completely out and removed them, front drive shaft, tailgate and front driver's side door lock actuators, PCV valve