Naming your truck

DDJeep89

So I recently purchased a 89 pioneer and my dad asked what name I gave it. I've been thinking about it for a little while and still hasn't hit me yet. Of course it has to be original so it might take me awhile. All vehicles have their own personalities I guess. I was wondering, what name did you pick?Or maybe you think it's goofy to name your truck? 

Not goofy in my opinion but others may say otherwise! My first jeep was a cherokee which was white and originally didn't have a name. After months of working on it (and months of grease handprints and finger spots) it just came to me and knew it was it. I appropriately named the xj spot lol. Same deal with the manche, had it for a while and didn't really have anything picked out and then after cleaning er up one day noticed the previous owner had sprayed red right over the top of the previous color which was like a goldish tan color and it gave me an idea with the Ironman them going on with the tan interior and red paint, I seen it only fitting as to name manche Ironmanche lol 71ec6ca6514ffe3517c9dc9e79031c56.jpg

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

I don't really name my vehicles but my super rusty 95 XJ that I picked up for $800.   It was "piece of $h1t" for awhile, then was just "POS".  When the serpentine belt started squeaking I called it "squeaky" or "old squeaky" and started to love the damn thing.   After replacing the belt because it failed catastrophicly, it is now "POS work Jeep".   

The name fits it but I have grown to love the damn thing but still will only fix it if something breaks and duct tape or zip ties don't fix it (waterpump gasket is a manilla folder).  Ironically it is the crapiest Jeep I own, but is the most reliable.. 

"the red truck" ... well, it's more red than it is any other color.

"the silver truck"

Yeah, I'm boring. Before I got the 89 the 91 was just "the truck", but sometimes also "a$$hole" or "mother@#$%er". Never "piece of $#!&" because that's just mean.

"the red truck" ... well, it's more red than it is any other color.
"the silver truck"

Yeah, I'm boring. Before I got the 89 the 91 was just "the truck", but sometimes also "a$$hole" or "mother@#$%er". Never "piece of $#!&" because that's just mean.
I called it a combination off all 3 I mentioned when it stranded me 15 miles down a jeep trail and I had to walk back to camp, grab my pretty rig and 2 other hunters I met the night before to recover it. hooked the ford up to be the brakes, then pulled it up a shale trail somehow, at the top I asked my new friend if he was comfortable stump jumping it the next 6 miles of downhill winding rolling hills with no power brakes and dimming headlights . of course he obliged since it wasn't his lol. so, my heep has earned lots of fowl names but I still love it most of the time. c4bac62f108e156fd409298f9655a9d7.jpg8220fcf1c8b2c6c8cdd42329940f6e12.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Different ones had different attitudes. My ‘86 Longbox was Molly. First red one was Sarge (military interior lights and US Flag ceiling)

Some parts rigs came/went. Louey and second Louey (short for Lieutenant)

Blue one was Major PITA.

Why do you post:

" My Comanches:
2nd Louey 1987 SB Sporttruck
2.5L/AX-4 2wd (for now) 3.55 D35 205/75R/15 with studs and new windshield and headliner.

First Louey 1988 SB Sporttruck
4.0L/BA10/5 2wd (for now) 3.07 D35 235/75R/15 on steel wheels

90 MJ LB parts rig. 107K miles rustbucket from the belt 4.0/Auto with matching front axle for 2Lt. "

in every reply you make?

Why do you post:

" My Comanches:

2nd Louey 1987 SB Sporttruck

2.5L/AX-4 2wd (for now) 3.55 D35 205/75R/15 with studs and new windshield and headliner.

First Louey 1988 SB Sporttruck

4.0L/BA10/5 2wd (for now) 3.07 D35 235/75R/15 on steel wheels

90 MJ LB parts rig. 107K miles rustbucket from the belt 4.0/Auto with matching front axle for 2Lt. "

in every reply you make?

It’s the footer tag line. I’m trying to find where to change it but the site keeps going down when I’m in it.

I’m manually removing them for now.

My girlfriend in HS named my first XJ Toby and since then I've just called them all Toby. My father-in-law, who is my Jeep partner in crime, says you can't name a truck with a boys name so I'm not sure what to call my current XJ and MJ. I called the 72 CJ-5 I sold earlier this year Ol Yeller cause it was yellow and old...

10 hours ago, Swampy said:

I call mine Wendy Because when I was swapping in the bucket seats I found a picture of a girl from like the early 90s and It had "Wendy" written on the back and I didn't want bad juju so I named her wendy

^^^ This one is my favorite so far

8 hours ago, carnuck said:

Different ones had different attitudes. My ‘86 Longbox was Molly. First red one was Sarge (military interior lights and US Flag ceiling)

Some parts rigs came/went. Louey and second Louey (short for Lieutenant)

Blue one was Major PITA.

My truck since owning it has spent more time in the driveway getting it road worthy so I haven't really figured out it's personality yet. It will come to me I'm sure. I like the stories behind the names. Good stuff!

I've had so many trucks at once that they inevitable got referred to by color.  not inventive, but kept it straight for my family/friends.  oddly enough, I still refer to the 88 as "the red truck" even though it's tan now.  :dunno:  

1 hour ago, Skorpyo said:

My father-in-law, who is my Jeep partner in crime, says you can't name a truck with a boys name

it's naval tradition to name ships feminine names.  The latin name for "ship" Navis, is expressed in the feminine and probably had something to do with that tradition taking root.  I've not came up with a solid name for my MJ yet.  I was thinking "Ol' Battleaxe".  That's sometimes a "colorful" nickname for a wife, so I suppose it can still be considered feminine in that way.  Ha!

Back to ships, I delight in this old naval explanation:  

“A ship is called a she because there is always a great deal of bustle around her; there is usually a gang of men about; she has a waist and stays; it takes a lot of paint to keep her good-looking; it is not the initial expense that breaks you, it is the upkeep; she can be all decked out; it takes an experienced man to handle her correctly; and without a man at the helm, she is absolutely uncontrollable. She shows her topsides, hiders her bottom and, when coming into port, always heads for the buoys.”

3 minutes ago, coolwind57 said:

it's naval tradition to name ships feminine names.   

Yeah, as a Navy brat, I'm very familiar with the naming of ships, though it's funny that of the current commissioned naval fleet only one (from a quick read through) has a womans name USS Gabrielle Giffords, though I would assume they all have informal feminine names. 

The USN usually followed naming conventions in the past, but not much anymore. Aircraft carriers were named after famous battle victories (Midway) or famous political figures (Roosevelt), battleships after US states (New Jersey), cruisers after US cities (Newport News), submarines after fish (Dogfish) and destroyers and smaller ships after famous naval figures (Leahy).  The ship I spent the most time on was the USS Harry E. Yarnell, a guided missile frigate named after some obscure admiral. Of course, the crews of every ship have their own nicknames too. We affectionately called the Yarnell the "Hairy Urinal".   :laugh:

I've had so many trucks at once that they inevitable got referred to by color.  not inventive, but kept it straight for my family/friends.  oddly enough, I still refer to the 88 as "the red truck" even though it's tan now.  :dunno:  

I have three red ones now and Sarge was red too. (My son had a longbed Red one, but it folded in half from rust a couple months back)

I would be tempted to call yours Orry, because it was originally red.

Total thread hijack, but :beerchug: to all you Navy guys out there today.

Never forget December 7th.:usaflag:

There's a great article in my local paper today about Carl Vinson, and the great vision he had for our fleet, which was the eventual demise of the Japanese.

This got me thinking. I've decided to name the MJ 'Belle' after Belle Starr, an old west thief whose husband was a Cherokee. I figure its fitting since she's robbed me blind and is related to a Cherokee...

I'm thinking maybe 'Wilma' for the XJ after Wilma Mankiller, a Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation. Also fitting since my jeep tried to kill me and my buddy by rolling over us during a repair...

My truck since owning it has spent more time in the driveway getting it road worthy so I haven't really figured out it's personality yet. It will come to me I'm sure. I like the stories behind the names. Good stuff!

Call it Mr Park