I Love When People Comment On My Mj

87MJTIM

I was getting into my Comanche in a parking lot today.  A woman walking by stopped and complimented my Comanche.

She said "I learned to drive on one of these.  I loved it.  My sister drove it in to a tree, and the tree fell over....

except mine was the hatchback model." :hmm:  :hmm:  :doh:

I didn't tell her that her's was a Cherokee.

I thanked her and went on my way.

By far my favorite comment I've ever had on my truck was from a little girl asking if she could ride in the "Army Jeep". Kinda brightens your day, y'know? Plus, she could read better than most adults around here who think the truck is an s10 or toyota. 

when I went to the BMV to transfer the truck in my name the clerk, after reading the bill of sale said this paper work is all wrong. I jumped up thinking the guy who sold it to me was up to something, I asked her what was wrong and she said Jeep dose not make pickup trucks. luckily I parked right in front of the window.

when I went to the BMV to transfer the truck in my name the clerk, after reading the bill of sale said this paper work is all wrong. I jumped up thinking the guy who sold it to me was up to something, I asked her what was wrong and she said Jeep dose not make pickup trucks. luckily I parked right in front of the window.

Exact same thing happened when I bought mine.

My wife has started teasing me for obsession for Comanche. As well as passion for my own I enjoy spotting others. I have a co worker/friend who enjoys that I enjoy it and he emails photos every time he sees one. he's a field rep covering a lot of rural Washington. He finds about one a week. We sometimes leave each other voice messages where the only word spoken is  'Comanche' depending on how its said it can mean I have good news or just call me back I need to talk. I think I've taken to talking about comanchees in my sleep.    

Anyway, my wife just doesn't get why anyone would be so in to 'just another small truck'  She's taken to also trying to spot comanchees, however, she points at every ranger, s10, Datsun, etc she sees and says 'there's another Comanche.'  I've explained to her that the fact that so far she hasn't called out an actual Comanche helps to explain how I feel. According to wiki there were 190k Comanches ever built. Ford has made over 7 million rangers alone.  

Typical DMV.  Let me guess, she still didnt believe you and required you to complete the forms for a corrected title?

I am building a shed and after ten trips to Home Depot/Lowes I can't get out of the loading zone without someone stopping to talk to me about it. Actually starting to get a bit annoying.

i have people waiting around, long chats,

leaving notes, getting called out :)

last night i backed up a hill and parked my jeep pretty so the front bumper was almost kissin the ground,

took me 20 mins before i could leave to go to the bonfire

I used to stop at a Chevron on the way to work back last year to buy gas, etc. and since we have fuel attendants that pump our gas in Oregon, I kept having the same kid come by and chat me about the truck every. single. time. I came in to get gas. Eventually it got to the point where he started asking 'when you gonna sell yer truck ta me?' and being a bit of an annoyance; I have found another gas station to go to since as I was starting to get creeped out by him.

Really, I don't mind the occasional nosy person or enthusiastic person, and it can be kind of fun; however when it goes too far with someone that doesn't know when to quit it can be quite off-putting.

Had a guy drive up beside of me today on my way to work and give me the thumbs up. He rolled down the window and yelled "You NEVER see these anymore! Good lookin truck!". Totally unexpected! I'm kind of used to it from my DeLorean days and when I drive the lime green Mustang, but wasn't expecting it driving the Comanche. Pretty cool.

I had an IRS auditor in my office this week.  (Auditing a client, not me.)  As we were leaving, he saw me walking toward my truck.  He asked if it was mine.  I said, "Yes."

He said it looks good.

I thanked him but did not say much else.  I did not want to inciminate my client.

• 2 weeks later...

I was stopped next to another Comanche at a stop light yesterday and I tried to give the guy a thumbs up but he wouldn't look over. :( Could have honked, but I didn't want to be annoying.

Every other Comanche owner I've seen around my town doesn't seem to be "part of the club" - never been waved at by another Comanche. However, I did wave at a pretty dang sweet Grand Waggy last month and he returned it. Highlight of my day. A couple Wranglers have waved, too. Both seemed to be stock or pretty close.

The other day I was grabbing coffee at the local cafeteria I noticed an all white 60s 442 olds super clean! The guy parks far from everyone else then while walking in he notices the comanche....he couldn't stop looking at it. He kept walking around, at this time I was concerned because he couldn't stop staring at it...I walk outside after I grabbed my coffee and just jumped in the truck and he just says " your truck is beautiful! I haven't seen one in forever! Would you consider selling it?" I obviously declined but he just couldn't stop staring or giving me thumbs up...

It was a great day!

Two buddy's have a classic car club they hang out with. Bob has a gorgeous 66 Impala with a 409 and Robert has a 70 Monte Carlo. Both are high dollar restorations. They invited me to a few of the car shows to show my 88 MJ. I was getting so much attention from the crowd that my buddy's were actually getting pissed!

• 1 year later...

BUMP!

Happened again today.

I was in the post office.  The clerk at the counter could see my truck outside.  She asked if that was my truck.

I told her it is.

She asked: Did you have that custom built or did you get it like that?    :doh:

I am probably guessing, but I think my truck is older than she is.

I've had most of the experiences you guys have had, even had a guy who owned a Cherokee asked me if I used a kit to make it a truck.

Also had people offer to trade me a variety of vehicles. Including 3 Mustangs, a Camaro, a Firebird, a Chevy C10, a Ranger, a Toyota Pup, and a handful of other random vehicles.  

At least I know if I ever go to sell it, I shouldn't have a hard time finding people. 

I've gotten 2 trophies at car shows, those were nice comments. When I took it to car shows I usually parked one wheel up on a stump that I brought with. Amazing how many people would ask how I got that tire up there. It wasn't even that big of a log, but for some reason they just didn't think I could drive up on it like that.

I have also had people comment on the work I did to my Cherokee. No, it's a Comanche......

When I picked up my truck at the detailers last Saturday night, there were two different guys asking if I wanted to sell. Plus there were three hand-written messages from people that had stopped in during the day asking me to call them. I didn't.  :yes:

It's flattering I guess, but it's kind of a PITA getting gas or coming out of a store sometimes with all the questions.