Mjotm - March, 2014 - Thedirtyjeep401's '86 Custom

Have you ever had a truck that just found its way to you? Sure, we've all bought a vehicle that we did a bunch of research on... drove a few... and decided that one was better than another and made a deal. But what about those that we pass messages back and forth and try not to get too excited about only to be left in the dark? "Do I send another?" "Do I assume that it went to someone else?" "What if something terrible happened?" "What if it sold to someone who won't appreciate it enough as much as I would've and I end up seeing it in a salvage yard a few months from now?!" "What if?!... What if?!... What if?!..." Myself, I just love it when everything works out for the best! Even if things seem grim, you can't help but keep at it. You wait by the phone. You gratuitously check your messages. You try and keep yourself occupied but in the back of your mind you just know that things were meant to be. This month is one of those stories that ended in the best of ways... with a Comanche, of course!!!

TheDirtyJeep401's '86 Custom!!!

936441_685038464856217_169225051_n.jpg

YEAR/MODEL 

86 Comanche Custom

ENGINE/PERFORMANCE ●

AMC TBI 2.5 litre

DRIVETRAIN ●

AX4/D35

COOLING ●
Stock

ELECTRICAL/IGNITION ●
Stock

SUSPENSION/STEERING ●
Stock

INTERIOR ●
Black Interior, with Caviler Seats 

BRAKES ●
Stock 

LIGHTING ●

x2 Unknown brand off road lights, halogen headlights, Bosch driving lights (Soon to be installed)

EXTERIOR ●

Faded black Re-paint 

WHEELS/TIRES ●

BFG 235/75-R15 A/T tires on Jeep Wrangler Ravine Rims (Only have 2 right now, saving to get the others)

MISCELLANEOUS ●

Hurst T-Handle shifter knob, custom painted valve cover
Its an 86, and it still has the stock sets of keys from the manufacturer!!

564395_527252193968179_469131116_n.jpg

1794825_831505326876196_34169180_n.jpg

1622155_840162629343799_2046449470_n.jpg

1903004_831500736876655_1884491135_n.jpg

1798484_839582572735138_2074755053_n.jpg

994909_720920614601335_858621413_n.jpg

936441_685038464856217_169225051_n.jpg

Read the build thread here!

Remember That One Time?... Tell Us Your Best MJ Story ●

The best story is of me getting the truck.

I was getting ready to turn sixteen, so that meant that I would be able to drive on my own (no parents backseat driving) and was looking for a car or truck. I had $1600 to spend on a vehicle. So I hunted on craigslist trying to find a vehicle. thought I found it. It was a Mazda mx-3, it needed work (wanted a DD project to work on with my dad). wasnt to bad, went out to look at it and was ready to buy it, he said $1000 and you can have it. So I went home and pulled my moms 68 AMX off the trailer so we could put the Mazda on it the next day. 

When I woke up the next morning, I was getting ready to go pick it up,  then I got a text from the guy selling it saying that he couldnt sell it because his wifes cars computer fried and that was the only other means of transportation. On my way home my mom told me that maybe buying that car wasnt meant to be.

After all that I saw a jeep comanche listed in Ozark, Mo on Craigslit for $1000. I emailed the guy to see if he still had it, and if i could look at it since I would be in springfield (Just north of Ozark) in a few days for a martial arts tournoment. No reply for three days. Then right when I was leaving the tournoment, I got a email saying he still had it, and I could look at it that day. I emailed him back and asked him where it was located. Got nothing back. Went to eat waiting for a response. Nothing.

By now my mom was tired and wanted to go back home, I asked her if we could atleast drive to Ozark for a few in case he emailed me back. We drive down there and waited in a flea market parking lot for about 35 minutes. Got nothing back. Right when I was putting my phone down to tell my mom lets go, there it was, getting ready to turn. I was told my mom to follow that truck, she thought that it wasnt the same truck based on the pic and thought that I was insane, but I knew that was it.

So we followed him, for 5 miles to his house. When he parked my mom said you can ask him if he posted it on craigslist, she didnt want to get in trouble for stalking. The boy was staring at me and his dad was loading a desk into the back of a truck. I asked his dad if he was the one sellin the Jeep Comanche. he said yes and wanted to know how i knew. I told him I was the one emailing him about it. He then wondered how I found it, I told him that I saw it driving and followed it. The kid that drove it looked at me and said, You followed me? I told him yes and talked to them about the truck. And the guy said that it was fate finding the truck.

The reason he couldnt email me was because they were moving and the internet was messing up. (they were selling the truck because they were moving) I looked at the truck and it was what I wanted. The guy said that I could buy it and he would hold on to it while I ran back to Joplin to get the money , if he could use it to move some furniture to there other house in Ozark. I said deal.

Went back to joplin and grabbed the money and ran back to Ozark, My mom was the only one that could drive it at the moment because of it being a standard. And she wouldnt drive it during the day since it was 103 degrees and no A/C so she drove it at night.

When I went back to pick it up, the kid that drove it was sad to see it go. They handed me over the original keys (both sets) and it was mine.

The pic of it in front of the garage next to the pool wall was the first pic I took of it, that next morning. I wanted a project, and I sure got one. I had to wait 3 months to drive it by myself, so most of the time I just sat in it and listened to the radio in it. Then I got my license, and it was amazing to drive.

CC is Awesome!... Why Do You Think So? ●

The fact that it is here. The info I have gained from everyone has helped more than you could imagine, So thank you for everything!

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Chase, I think it's great what you've done with your '86 over the short time that you've had it. The back story behind it outstanding and you've made quite the impact here over the past year that you've been a member! It's great to see new, young members that jump in and fit so well along side the rest of herd. Thanks for being here. Thanks for appreciating your truck. Most importantly, congratulations on a job well done!

-Ben

This post has been promoted to an article

Black interior and original AMC Jeep branded keys?  Hellz yea!  Congrats man.  That's two '86s in a row.

By the way, I still have the original branded keys for mine too.  Made sure when I changed out steering columns that I swapped the original ignition cylinder into it just to keep the original keys.  :yes: 

. :MJ 1: . 

Another excellent 1986 MJ example selected as an MJOTM winner. These are the original MJ trucks that started it for all of us, and I'm all for it, especially since I'm so fond of longbeds. :yes:  It's great to see the younger CC members grabbing these models and nurturing them back to life. Congrats, and keep up the good work.   :cheers:

I've been a fan of this one since the very beginning. Love the truck and I hope we'll be seeing more of it!

:agree:  Congratulations Chase! I've been a fan of the owner since the very beginning. This selection illuminates the fact that it doesn't require throwing a ton of money into an MJ or an over-the-top modified monster build to gain the respect of our community. Your enthusiasm and dedication to learning and sharing your experience with others has been, and I'm sure will be, clearly evident. Wish I'd had the good fortune to nab a classic for my first vehicle. As always, keep up the good work. :thumbsup: