The Start Of Something... 86' Comanche Custom

For awhile now I have been looking at peoples ideas, comments and tech problems. So I decided to finally join. And I say this now, thank goodness for this site, or I wouldn't know a lot of things about my truck (and still don't know too much), So thank you in advance. 

So Cutting to the chase, my Comanche is an 86 longbed 2WD with an 87 Jeep comanche AMC 2.5 L 4 Cyl engine, 4 speed (Great on gas mileage). I have owned it for almost a year now and boy all of the stuff we gone through. Its my pride and joy, my dad is a huge AMC fan (as I am too) but we have both wanted an Mj. And it turned out to be my first vehicle. I bought it for $1000 ,all in all a good deal to me. 

Its far from finished, but right now its my daily driver and I love it to death. If you guys ever want to hear the story of how i found it/got it, just tell me, its a pretty long story. 

My plans for the future is to repaint it 4X4 conversion, spray in liner, brush guard, roll pan (which if anybody makes them or knows where to find one, please tell me if you do it would be greatly appreciated) different seats and way too much more stuff to list. But in the end it will be worth it. 

59735_621433267883404_1337462508_n.jpg557316_519923711367694_1235226113_n.jpg564395_527252193968179_469131116_n.jpg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine a better choice than a Comanche for a first vehicle. Congratulations! You've also found the mother lode of information for all your project ideas. However, be fore warned, passion for these trucks can easily transform into an addiction. Of most importance, many projects take way longer and cost much more than expected or intended. I guess that's one reason too many of us end up with more than "a" Comanche. As for your roll pan idea, I did a lot of searching for an aftermarket option and came up empty. There are examples on this site. Enjoy your ride young Jeeper.

Thanks, i have put a lot of work into it so far sometimes it seems like it never wants to run, but usually when I'm not at school, I'm working or playing in it ill post all of the things ive replaced/ fixed and all of the damage thats happened with pics (quite a bit of stuff too!!) And i know what you mean by an addiction, ive tried buying to others! Lol

Other parts that have been replaced (Sorry ill try to get photos) is a new power steering pump, pulley, and hoses. The original power steering pulley got bent from my dad and I trying to get it off, wasnt really fun prying it off. :fs2:  Other than that, parts tht are going to get replaced soon is as followed:

Aluminum Radiator

CCV/PCV (Sorry don't know the diffrence but know what they do!!) Gromments

Valve cover gasket

Upper and lower radiator hoses

Cap for overflow tank

Fan shroud

So far i have put a little over $228.45 on this truck :wrench:

Nice job young Jeeper! Your tail lights look primo. Why don't you throw up your story on the hunt and purchase. This is your thread and we're all part of the same fraternity. If some don't want to read it they can quickly scroll down and look at the pictures. :thumbsup:

Yeah, its a real bummer. I keep on wanting to get aftermarket stuff for it but with me trying to find a job, and constanly replacing parts. I only can doe some of that a little at a time. Hopefullt I get a job soon :crossfingers: Because when i get what i want on this, I'm going to see if i can get my parents 68 AMX to fix up(I love AMCs) but your not always done with a project. even though you think you are.

Got the new alternator in, ill put pics up soon. Its the only shiny thing under the hood  :laughin:

I have way to many projects now  :D  got another but this one is pretty important. Still gonna work on the MJ though its gonna be slow getting parts for it. It needs a lot more love (And me and this car go back aways)

• 4 weeks later...

Nice Comanche

I am an AMC Lover too, Got a Gremlin X V8 Levis :)    What engine in the AMX? 390?

Thanks. I have a Gremlin X too its a 73. Right now there is nothing in the AMX(Its my mothers), If I'm correct, it had a 390 stock. But with all the engines we have, the 304 is going in my Gremlin the 401 we are going to put in the Javelin and in the AMX who knows what will go in there.

Nice progress young jeeper. It sounds as though you have your plate full. Did the alternator replacement get you back on the road?

Yeah, it did. then as soon as that got replaced, I had to get a new water pump  :fs1: But its not that bad since this weekend I am replacing the fan shroud and the radiator anyway. The water pump still works but for some reason it squeals really bad. Basically I will be replacing the whole entire cooling system.  Just makes me mad, that money was going toward the 3 inch lift. I have no choice but to replace it all. At least it will be up and running better when I'm done. 

I hate to break it to you, but that will be a recurring theme through life. Seems like it never fails, scrimp and save for a project and too often something else will arise. Don't let it stress you. Reliable mechanicals trump cosmetics every time. :thumbsup: Keep up the good work.