Comanches Tougher Than You Might Think

mr. trying to fix it

About a month ago I was traveling to college in the comanche, somewhere around Charlottesville va a deer hopped right in front of my beautiful truck, absoulutely destroying the head lights bumper and grill, but by god after her first season kill she cranks right over! And I was able to drive another 500 miles with battle damage, when I finally make it to the boro tn I let her sit, and to no ones surprise she leaks out her radiator, but 110$ and a trip to O'Reillys later she ran like it never happened and I'm proud to say that after some days at a salvage yard and hard work she looks better than ever. And that's why the comanche is a superior truck if I can hit a doe going ~75 then these must be some of the toughest trucks made once more Reinforcing my love for these trucks

About a month ago I was traveling to college in the comanche, somewhere around Charlottesville va a deer hopped right in front of my beautiful truck, absoulutely destroying the head lights bumper and grill, but by god after her first season kill she cranks right over! And I was able to drive another 500 miles with battle damage, when I finally make it to the boro tn I let her sit, and to no ones surprise she leaks out her radiator, but 110$ and a trip to O'Reillys later she ran like it never happened and I'm proud to say that after some days at a salvage yard and hard work she looks better than ever. And that's why the comanche is a superior truck if I can hit a doe going ~75 then these must be some of the toughest trucks made once more Reinforcing my love for these trucks

Sweet dude, are you here to stay in murfreesboro? I have been going to MTSU for the past 3 years and havent seen but one other MJ on campus. Never found out who owned it either. Maybe we could meet up on campus sometime.

Glad to hear you made it into town okay.

I remember the day I hit a deer with my old '89... actually, it was TWO deer at the same time! It was early and I was on my way into work when a couple garden eaters jumped out into the street. I hardly left my neighborhood when everything happened. The one got hit on the right side and it spun around pretty good. The other hit the left side and I felt a "bump, bump" rolling over it with both tires on that side. Pulled over, got out, and did a quick damage control. "Did I even hit them?!" Sure enough, the first deer didn't really do anything more than wrinkle my license plate and crack the corner light. The other one was a puddle in the road leaving a bunch of guts hanging from my winch hook and all sorts of hair and crap in the siping of the tires. The rocker was coated in pieces of deer and whatever didn't splash up along the truck was smashed up in the rear wheel well and bumper. What a surprise for the neighborhood kids who wait for the school bus!

I miss that truck.

So how did the deer taste? You did salvage it didn't you?

I found new parts off of a dead 90 comanche in a salvage yard, as for the radiator I thought why guess if its going to work when I could just spend the money and probably not get stranded somewhere knowing my luck likely somewhere at least 100 miles from my house

Our 86 Custom (nick named Baby Black, hence the Avatar name) has been in many scuffles since October of 1985 when we bought it from Pepe Jeep in Millville, NJ. About 6 months after the buy, my bride was making a left turn into a shopping center when a little old lady rams into the arse end with her Chrysler New Yorker. Her car actually dove under the MJ leaving the rear wheels on her hood with the bumper of the Jeep up near her windshield frame! No serious injuries but the Jeep needed a new bumper, gate, lights etc. etc. Wifey sued her too and settled for enough to pay off the Comanch! About 4 weeks after it was repaired, I was driving through an intersection in my town and a chic with a baby in the car made an illegal left right into the driver side door. My head hit the door glass so hard it shattered. The glass broke, too. The chics kid was not in a baby seat and flew up onto her dash and was laying between the windshield and glove box lid. She was in some Ford POS, a Tempo I think. Thank the Gods the kid was ok. He was a tough little bugger and was actually laughing thinking it was a great ride, I guess. Mom was aping out on me and it was HER fault! 'Nother lawsuit. Paid for Baby Black AGAIN! Drove the Manch back to the same body shop. New door, new bed and cab post re- construction. Those were the 2 main incidents in addition to many minor scrapes over the years. She is still running strong with 147,000 +/- miles and lots of cosmetic treatments. So is the Jeep. If I was intelligent enough to make Photobucket work properly, I would post a pic! Pete, how much per year would it cost to upgrade the site to post pics as easy as the Avater pic? I will send you a jug o' quarters instead of buying another MJ. Seriously.

Never run into anything with mine, but a couple weeks ago, I was cruising down an old grid road, doing about 60mph, then saw three signs, "railroad crossing," "bump," and "slow down". Didn't really think anything of it but took my foot off the gas. Needless to say it wasn't quite enough to get me slowed down on time. Hit the tracks at around 45-50mph, and went airborn. Slammed back down on at least three out of four bump stops (wasn't a straight and level flight, front driver's side hit first then passenger, only felt the rear right corner hit the ground) Don't think my 300,000 mile MJ appreciated it, but it took it like a champ. Drives exactly like before it happened. Crawled underneath, and beyond the cracked shock mount that was already like that, there doesn't seem to be any damage.

I was going to see a friend who lived down that road, and she said the first time she drove it she did the same thing. Only her little Toyota econobox didn't survive the flight...

Not sure about where you live, but in Michigan, if you hit a deer and you want to keep it, a state trooper will issue you a liscence on the spot. Just throw it in the back!

AFAiK, because it hasn't happened to me, MO is the same way, or so I'm told.

In PA the law states that any PA citizen, regardless of who actually hit the deer, may claim a road killed deer. They are just required to apply for a free license from the game commission within twenty four hours.

I hit a Cadillac with the front right corner of my first XJ. The newer Cadillac won. I spent a few hours in a parking garage disassembling the right fender so I could drive home.

If I was intelligent enough to make Photobucket work properly, I would post a pic! Pete, how much per year would it cost to upgrade the site to post pics as easy as the Avater pic? I will send you a jug o' quarters instead of buying another MJ. Seriously.

It's not just about money.  it's about an escalation in responsibility, workload, and worry.  not really interested in that.  I prefer my CC as simple as possible. :yes:   besides, posting photos is a skill everyone should have. :thumbsup:   keep at it.  once you get the hang of it, it's easy. :D

I nailed a deer a couple years back while leaving Monroe, WA at the end of the fair. Car in front of me had no lights (after dark) and finally pulled to the shoulder so I went around him and nailed a doe that jumped over the hood of the car that pulled over and flew into the oncoming lane, got hit again and knocked off the road. I tried to find it when the Stater showed up, but it was long gone leaving a blood trail.