What Fluid Are You Using In Your Ax15 ?

I'm hearing/reading conflicting opinions on what is best to run. I read that GL5 is hard on the brass syncros, and that 30wt motor oil is the best etc...

I went to Novaks site and here is what they recommend:

Transmission Fluid

The factory manuals call for 75W90 GL-3 gear oil for the AX15 transmission. It is the experience of some that a 50W fluid provides quicker shifts and especially so in colder climates.

So, what do you all use/recommend, and why?

I saw this thread:

http://comancheclub...._hl__ax15 fluid

and it answers a lot of questions, but then again leaves a lot hanging.

When I had an AX15 (in the XJ I traded for my dd MJ) I used Mobil 1 full synthetic 10w30. Same as I use now in my AX5.

I like the idea of only having the engine and tranny oil the same. Once I get my front seal leak repaired, I will probably go MB1 synthetic also. :thumbsup:

I just picked up my trans and Tcase from the shop that rebuilt the trans. (BA 10/5 and 231)

The guy told me to use Penzoil Synthetic in the trans and 5/30 in the tcase.

But the prior link said not to use Penzoil?!?! Should I just use the 75/90?

For the tcase, he said that ATF will foam up while driving and could blow out the vent tube. He said 5/30 will not foam the same way.

I ask for your $0.02 (US and CA $)

I just picked up my trans and Tcase from the shop that rebuilt the trans. (BA 10/5 and 231)

For the tcase, he said that ATF will foam up while driving and could blow out the vent tube. He said 5/30 will not foam the same way.

It's real hard for me to go against someone like Novaks. They have a lot of experience with trannys and cases. I'm thinking the 50W is the way to go at this point, but I started the thread to get other opinions, so I'm still open minded as to what works best from real world experience.

I switched to Redline MT recently and the improvement was dramatic. Much

somother shifting.

Not familiar with Redline MT. Is that a 90W? Being in Florida, i'd think that to be ok, but what about in freezing climates? Too thick?

Jeep says use ATF in 231, Jeep says use ATF in 242, GM says use ATF in 241, and I have NEVER in over 200,000 combined miles on those three vehicles had the fluid foam and come out the vent tube. This ranges from hard core off road to city driving to hours on end running 75 only interrupted by fuel stops. (Strasburg to Chicago 400 miles, Strasburg to Canada 400 miles, Strasburg to Daytona, Ormond or Orlando 900 miles, Strasburg to Columbus, GA 800 miles)

I'm hearing/reading conflicting opinions on what is best to run. I read that GL5 is hard on the brass syncros, and that 30wt motor oil is the best etc...

I went to Novaks site and here is what they recommend:

Transmission Fluid

The factory manuals call for 75W90 GL-3 gear oil for the AX15 transmission. It is the experience of some that a 50W fluid provides quicker shifts and especially so in colder climates.

So, what do you all use/recommend, and why?

I saw this thread:

http://comancheclub...._hl__ax15 fluid

and it answers a lot of questions, but then again leaves a lot hanging.

the official Mopar replacement for use in AX-15s is synthetic 10W-30 oil. :thumbsup:

ATF in the tcase, Redline MT90 in the AX transmissions. Redline is a synthetic so the shifting is very smooth, even in cold climates. It's specially formulated to be easy on the soft brass syncros and will often times improve notchy shifting from synchros on their way south.

The Redline MT90 is pricey but worth it.

• 9 years later...
7 hours ago, PIKE said:

This is what I've been using too.  When I went to buy it I was going to buy MT90 but the distributor asked if I would like him to look up the prescribed oil for my vehicle.  After I questioned what he came up with he called the chemist at Redline and he confirmed 75w90NS.  Seems to work well.