ax15 fluid

I know this has been beaten to death... but what are we putting in the axq5 these days...

People say ATF+3

parts store says 75W90

guru's say redline MT

grapevine.. penzoil syncromesh?

ATF is much too thin, don't do that.

Any GL-3 rated 75-90W oil will do the job.

Don't use GL-5, the sulphurs in the oil eat up the different metals in the trans.

Redline is recommened to help with cold shifting issues.

I know this has been beaten to death... but what are we putting in the axq5 these days...

People say ATF+3

parts store says 75W90

guru's say redline MT

grapevine.. penzoil syncromesh?

It depends on what year AX-15. The factory recommended lube changed. Some years have synchros that get eaten up by the sulpher compounds in GL-4 and GL-5 gear oils, and for those years you should use GL-3, or a syntehtic that does not attack the synchros. Redline is reported to be safe; Mobil-1 is reported not to be safe. Dunno about others.

Pennzoil Synchromesh is specifically formulated for the NVG 3550 and 4500 trannies. I have discussed this with Pennzoil directly -- it should NOT be used in either the BA 10/5 (Peugeot) or AX-15 (or AX-4 or AX-5) trannies. I'm not sure just what would happen if you did, and I was going to try it in my BA 10/5, but Pennzoil's engineer told me no so I have several quarts of the stuff taking up space on my shelf.

I was under the impression that all AX-15s were the same and the GL-5 thing was a mistake in the early years. no?

Not according to the parts guru at Bradshaw Jeep. Problem is, I can never remember if it's the early AX-15s or the late ones that you can't use GL-5 in. Redline is safe for all of them, so that's probably the best default solution.