Comanche of the month, Sep 2011 --- DRAHCIR495's 1989

That time of the MJ month again. Little late this month, gave me a scare... ;) Nah, all my fault. My apologies to this month's member for the short notice. Truckin' on though. Guys feast your peepers on this.

---------------- DRAHCIR495's 1989 JEEP COMANCHE PIONEER -------------------

MODEL AND YEAR

1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, LWB 4x4 with the Metric Ton package. From the factory it came with the I6, BA10 transmission, NP231 transfer case, front D30, and a Rear D44 with Trac-Loc.

ENGINE & PERFORMANCE:

Still running the stock 4.0L with a late model valve cover and upgraded Fuel Injectors.

DRIVETRAIN:

Upgraded to an external slave AX15 transmission after the BA10 slave cylinder gave out. The front D30 was replaced with a new front D44 axle with 30 spline shafts. Added Eaton E-lockers F&R, and 4:56 gears, sealed up with Rock Crusher 44 Rear Diff Covers.

COOLING:

I stuck with the closed system, but added a Macs Aluminum replacement “Turtle” and a Napa overflow bottle.

ELECTRICAL & IGNITION:

Stock Renix electrical system = all sorts of fun. I eventually added dedicated ground & power points to help with the never ending electrical issues. Upgraded Headlight Wiring Harness to accept H4 E-code headlights and have modified the side marker lights.

STEERING:

GC V8 Sway Bar & 97 ZJ V8 steering upgrade (drag link & tie rod).

SUSPENSION:

Rubicon Express MJ 5.5" EXTREME-DUTY lift kit with RE Adj. front Lower & Upper control arms. I also picked up the RE1670 XD track bar bracket brace. Rancho RS9000XL nine positions shocks and added JKS upper shock conversion mounts to the front two. JKS Relocation Sway Bar Disconnect Brackets and JKS Bar Pin Eliminators. Spring over in the rear using the stock Metric Ton Springs

INTERIOR:

My favorite ~ the dark blue interior with XJ seats mounted on factory MJ bucket seat brackets. New headliner & XJ vanity mirrors that recovered by myself. Already had the full gage cluster, but added a tilt steering column out of a 1989 XJ with an automatic transmission. Replace the steering wheel with a Grant steering wheel and changed out the horn button with one that says Jeep. Installed a Sony stereo and a few speakers to help drowned out mechanical issues & tire howl. I substituted the stock mini shifter console with a full center console out of a XJ. Replace old carpet and added Husky Liners. Replaced door seals with 1998 XJ seal for the better Noise, Vibration, and Harshness (NVH) ratings. The jeep already had the rear sliding window.

BRAKES:

Front Brakes: Stock Dana 30 disc brakes

Rear Brakes: Stock Dana44 with ZJ disc brakes waiting to go on.

LIGHTING:

Not bright enough

Factory fog lights

Under dash courtesy lights

Retractable under hood light

Working factory pillar lights

WHEELS/TIRES:

33x12.5x17 Mickey Thompson MTZ tires mounted on the 17x8.5 (w/3.75” BS) Walker Evans Bead lock rims

MISCELLANEOUS:

ProtoFab Rear MJ Bumper

93 XJ 3 Piece Grill

Brush Guard

Reflexxion Cowl Hood

Truck Box

Front Tow Plate & Tow Hooks

CB

PA Speaker

Jumper Cable Quick Disconnect

Factory camper shell

SYE sitting in another NP231 & 1996 XJ booster and master cylinder waiting in the wings

Best MJ story

My best story is that I actually got nominated.

What owner loves best about CC

The MJ brotherhood!

I know this has been said before – the members on this forum make this place great. The Comanche Club has never let me down. I want to thank you all for the support and knowledge you have shared with me. You all inspire me – Rich

PICS!

With project Drahcir49”Two”

Interior before

Interior after

The MJ at work

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rich, :bowdown:

You are one of my biggest inspirations for a nice looking lifted longbed. Your build page, an epic collection of projects, help, tips, and a metamorphosis from what was to what is today. Always willing to go out of your way to save an MJ, or track down that weird part. What you have brewing with the dually MJ is something to be envied. Yet another one of the threads that I have bookmarked. You are a longstanding member of our little part of the world, and a hell of a guy. Another member who makes our job as MJOTM deciding committee easy.

Bask in the sunlight, and enjoy your MJOTM.

Congratulations! :cheers:

Rob.

Hey Rich, congratulations! Well deserved. Your knowledge is great, but your willingness to share it is greater. Please keep up the good work and I always look forward to your updates. Can't wait to see your mjs in person someday.

Buck.

Thanks for giving me a little more time Automan2164. Thank you to everyone behind the scenes that thought my jeep was good enough to be included in the Comanche of the Month ranks :cheers: .

TylerJY thanks!

Buxmj - kind words ~ thank you.

Pete - thank you for starting this great site, so :bowdown: right back-atcha!

This is a long overdue selection for MJOTM Rich. You have built a great long bed truck and I've "borrowed" some of your ideas on my own rig as you know. You are one of the top CC members and are always ready to share your knowledge and expertise with anyone who asks, including myself. We are all very fortunate to have you as an outstanding CC member. :cheers:

Brandon - you are a good guy too. Thank you.

hornbrod - Thank you ~ thank you :cheers:

$500 MJ - I appreciate that :thumbsup: .

Dirteatr717 - :D thanks D

COMJNUT - :wavey:

87Warrior - Not surprized you missed it with all these amazing MJ's we have around here. :cheers:

jpnjim - Thanks for the :thumbsup:

:cheers: Everyone

• kryptronic unpinned and featured this topic
  • 11 months later...