Goodbye forever to all Jeep vehicles.

Buckeye Charly

Having put 2x more money into my 89 Comanche than I paid for it, I said good bye Thursday afternoon as it went down my long driveway thru our woods with the new owner at the wheel. Initial figures indicate I may have just broken even, expense-wise; but really in debt as far as emotions. (lots of swearing, pleading, scratching of head, etc.)

It was the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned in my 76 years, not the most unpleasant, just never to be relied upon to start...especially when I just HAD to drive as it was too nasty to ride my Honda.

So, I will be saying so long to the forum as I have no further interest in Jeeps. I will stick to my always reliable Toyotas and Fords, thank you very much...

:wavey:

PS: I do want to thank all those who offered great suggestions for fixing it.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did you at least give the new owner a CC card?

These were my thoughts exactly!

Jeeps are not for everybody, I certainly hope your old MJ found its way into somebody's heart who possess the Jeep passion. You just didn't have it in you!

Enjoy Toyota and Ford. My wife's Camry has left her stranded twice in the last 4 years. How many times has a Jeep left me stranded in that time? Not once. Just because her car has failed on us, we have not written off the brand. Afterall, batteries and belts are known to go bad and are an easy fix.

Farewell, I hope the new owner funds his/her way to the club with the look in their eye of a little kid on Christmas morning.

I love Jeeps and I love my MJ but I have to agree with OP. My 89 Mj and my fathers 89 MJ are in constant need of repair and he has over 9k invested in his. I have owned several 80s camaros, firebirds, TAs that I took on 1000 mile round trips and barely ever required repair.

But like you all say there is a disease called Jeep and I got it! comanche.gif

Not this guy only, but I love it when people buy second hand used stuff regardless of what it is and are disappointed when it doesn't behave like brand new. Vehicles are like people, we are made of the same components, but some seem to wear out faster than others. Maybe I misunderstood, but are you writing off the entire jeep brand over a 20+ year old vehicle that you probably bought with 123,000 miles on from a guy who got his motor oil second hand from his older brother? At any rate best of luck to you. :ack:

When I spot Comanches on the road, I always try to see if the driver is an "enthusiast" or just someone who's car happens to be a Comanche. For the most part, its basic transportation for most I see. Hopefully the new owner falls under the other category and keeps the truck alive.

You only had it for around 4 months, Just getting the bugs out of an old vehicle. I wonder if the new owner will have any problems, since he drove it away. It takes a certian type of person to take an older vehicle and get it in shape. I have never owned a new vehicle and the newest I do have is my 89 XJ Wagoneer. I hope you the best with your future vehicles. :cheers:

:agree:

A newly acquired MJ is usually mis-treated by its previous owner. A vehicle that hasn't been taken care of for several years will need the bugs worked out. Seems like all the Mj owners I come across fall into the just having one category. :dunno:

ever jeep ive owned needed work, i thought that was a known constant? i just assumed everyone that drove jeeps were mechanics,that liked to get away from civilization from time to time. i had a ford ranger once and there is no way it would hold up to half the $#!& i put the mj thru and no chance at all what i put the yj thru.and the ranger was a nightmare to work on. the mj is a little easier, the yj hell a monkey could fix it lol simple as simple can be.so for a vehicle that will take some extra abuse, and when it does break be pretty easy to fix theres only one :)

only jeep people should have jeeps i guess.when my jeeps break i never say oh what a pos. i say sweet i get to do another upgrade!

Hey, stay on The Club and chat with us! Maybe we will peek your desire again! :cheers:

In respect to my 87 4x2, I can't imagine any vehicle with over 300,000 miles that, although needing repairs, still functions as well as my good old "yeep". My main problem has been getting mainly external parts for a 2.5, and if the tranny goes, parts for it. Parts specific to an MJ are a problem, but that is to be expected given they existed for only a few years. But, with original tranny, original rear differential, and everything else, it has served well! But, like anything, you get lemons, maybe. Of course, I am 62. When I am 76, will I want to be wrenching like I still do? Dunno!

Might add, the problem recently with my engine I think was the fault of the Clifford Header I installed. Number 3 cyl tube was very close to the block and the head gasket at that point was black, and the head bolt at that point had heat hardened crud on it even down into the block an inch or so. I think the heat somehow cooked the head gasket, and it caused #3 cyl to break a ring and have a damaged point at the top of the cyl, interestingly on the side near that head bolt and the blackened gasket.

Prior to that, my 2.5 rolled down the road like a champ!

Plus, we had a 94 Cherokee we bought brand new and was virtually trouble free (4 x 2 also) for its whole 247,000 miles with us!

Anyway, I have never been happier with a vehicle than those years of jeeps.

I own two vehicles right now that I use on a regular basis, my 88 MJ, and an 85 Celica with a 22RE. Neither one has let me down yet. They both require extra maintenance, but they are easy to maintain, and generally easy to fix. Walking away from a legacy like that because you think a Ford is more reliable is up to you, but every old vehicle requires upkeep. Enjoy your Prius when you have to shell out thousands for a battery. I'll stick to my MJ.

Having put 2x more money into my 89 Comanche than I paid for it, I said good bye Thursday afternoon as it went down my long driveway thru our woods with the new owner at the wheel. Initial figures indicate I may have just broken even, expense-wise; but really in debt as far as emotions. (lots of swearing, pleading, scratching of head, etc.)

It was the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned in my 76 years, not the most unpleasant, just never to be relied upon to start...especially when I just HAD to drive as it was too nasty to ride my Honda.

So, I will be saying so long to the forum as I have no further interest in Jeeps. I will stick to my always reliable Toyotas and Fords, thank you very much...

:wavey:

PS: I do want to thank all those who offered great suggestions for fixing it.

Is this some kind of joke or is he serious? I remember back in the day, when the Indiana weather was too cold to be out, the old '87 started when many others wouldnt. Other than replacing brakes and other wear and tear items, I have had to take that jeep in once for engine work (actually twice because the first guy didnt do it right).

And if I am not mistaken, the 4.0 goes on record as one of the most popular, reliable engines of all time?

And one more thing, we complain about how rusty the Comanche can get. That is nothing compared to an '87 Toyota. I would love to show you an example of one in Indiana but I havent seen one for a few years.

And if I am not mistaken, the 4.0 goes on record as one of the most popular, reliable engines of all time?

Unfortunately I believe Charly plagued with a malfunctioning Renix ignition system with 20 years of neglect. I can see how it could cause frustration. It could of been as simple as a CPS or as difficult to find as a loose factory splice or fuseable (not blown) link. Easy repair? SURE! Tracking down the problem is what separates the shade-tree mechanics from the passionate Jeep people.

It is him writting off the entire Jeep brand that gets to me. I mean heck, just try to compair an '80s Jeep to a '10s (today) Jeep or a classic '50s. Sure they may have aesthetic similarities, but parts wise I doubt anything will swap and they were all built by very different companies.

To each his own. I truly hope our old comrade is able to fill that void he was hoping to fill with the MJ.

Good luck with your new vehicles. If the Comanche bug bites again (it probably will ;) ) maybe shell out a good whack on one that's already been fixed up like new by another enthusiast? You can have the best of both worlds then.