Goodbye forever to all Jeep vehicles.

Buckeye Charly

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heck, i paid $120 for my first comanche (or something that i could get for $120 :yes: )

then i put over $2000 in it XD on little things, but it built up

so that makes me like 18x over?

IDK why I'm posting here. prolly cause everyone else is...even though he's not coming back.

lmao win jeepco :thumbsup:

Went to the salvage yard today to get some exercise. Guess what name badge was on 90% of the vehicles in the yard (ford), and what name badge was on 6 other vehicles in the entire HUGE yard...........................Sucks finding parts, but makes you proud to know they aren't being picked apart in the boneyard. Toyotas are very reliable, and I know they have plants in the US now blah blah blah. Having said that AMC/Jeep have been American made(put together at least) from the get go. :USAflag: :banana: Kinda like the guy who buys the new corvette and shows how much power it has but can't figure out how to add wiper fluid. What money buys you doesn't make you, it's the skills you develop as you go. My MJ with its V8 powerplant that I fabbed in myself will smoke the 35's and I feel comfortable doing it because it is my blood, sweat, and beers that went into it. Maybe one day you will be back, but at your age all I can say is :wavey:

This isn't mean't to be bashing by the way, if the original poster returns. Just don't post anything negative towards our hobby on here unless you can handle the feedback. If you buy another MJ down the road, I am sure this forum will once again be more than happy to help. image_209027.gif

A large part of my enjoyment in these vehicles is their reliability. I'm on my 3rd xj, and I drive my 1990 mj daily. No jeep has ever let me down in over 10 years of owning jeeps. Never not started, never broke down on the road, never left me stranded. Jeeps are one of the most reliable vehicles on the road.

I wouldn't own them if they weren't reliable. And enjoy fixing the ford.

Being a Ford guy that happens to like jeeps i don't get the Ford bashing,over the years I've owned many Ford vehicles. I currently own 5 Fords.

They make some great cars and trucks and I've had great luck with them over the years. Ive found them to be very reliable

I'll say what Jeepco said - I don't know why I'm posting on this thread; guess because everybody else is. :D

First of all, the man exited the forum and Jeeps with class, something some of you clowns know nothing about. He was unlucky (or more to the point, unexperienced) enough to pick up a poorly maintained MJ. But he sunk a lot of time and $$ into it, persevered, but never could make it reliable. He tired of beating on a dead horse both financially and emotionally, and decided to cut his losses. He's an older gentleman, needed reliable transportation, so I applaud his decision.

Anyone who says MJs (especially the Renix junk) are reliable vehicles as compared even to Fords is living in a dream world and on crack. They are not. They need constant TLC, parts are getting more difficult to find and more expensive. And they are difficult to work on if you don't know what you are doing.

One forms opinions about vehicle reliability through experience in previous ownership. And this older gentleman went back to what served him well in the past. What gets me is these twerps that post up the merits of Jeeps because they have some rustbucket they picked up for cheap. The MJs are not reliable; there is always some nitpicking thing that needs fixin.

All that said, I still love them, will always own at least one, and it will be well maintained. :cheers:

Well said. And as for Ford bashing, It's just part of the game, American heritage if you will. Owned over a dozen of them myself and never had a complaint with any of them. But don't tell anybody that and if you do I'll deny having said it.

My opinion and comments comes from my experience in this area. The only reason I don't like Ford is the way they design things. I prefer working on European cars over Ford. Ford is love hate, many people love them, others hate them. I know many people that have had great luck, and I know just as many people that have long stories about Ford.

The joke in the business is don't buy one that was built on a Monday or a Friday.

I've owned three renix jeeps, and they served me perfectly, 100 percent reliable, and nothing more than standard maintenance, and for many years and miles. I'd say you can't blame jeep, or renix because someone bought a severely neglected vehicle, a Ford with the same neglect would offer the same number of headaches.

I would probably buy a Ford if I didn't have to work on it. And how many mechanics do you know that own Fords, few and far between. I currently can't think of any that I know.

My opinion and comments comes from my experience in this area. I've owned three renix jeeps, and they served me perfectly, 100 percent reliable, and nothing more than standard maintenance, and for many years and miles. I'd say you can't blame jeep, or renix because someone bought a severely neglected vehicle, a Ford with the same neglect would offer the same number of headaches.

I would probably buy a Ford if I didn't have to work on it. And how many mechanics do you know that own Fords, few and far between. I currently can't think of any that I know.

Agree with most all you say Dave, and what you say kind of proves my point - experience is king. But unfortunately, not all of us do what you do for a living. I get by, but I'm not a tech. On those rare occasions when I know when I'm licked on a problem and although I hate doing it, because I don't have the test equipment or "specialized" tools required to fix a problem, I'm forced bring it to someone who can. While I watch and learn so it won't happen again. :cheers:

I'm not a Ford lover, but my first car was a 53 flathead Ford Victoria, so I have a soft spot. :D Had a lot of Fords since then (and GMs, Studebakers, and lot's of foreign stuff) and the Fords were all okay. The best reliability for me were the 6-cylinder Benzs, fairly simple and logical to work on, but repairs were expensive at times depending on the parts you needed.

Your Renix reliability is all based on your tech experience. The Renix system is a hodgepodge un-logical bastardized system with too many sensors that all interact with the others. I've had many, don't like them, and will not have another. The 91+ HOs for me are mostly cake to repair. Just take a look at all the HELP ME! requests that come in on CC, it's about a 20:1 ratio in favor of Renix problems.

I'm a fleet mechanic, and though partial to Mopar, I would buy a Ford for the right price. I believe them to be well built, thought out vehicles... Chevy on the other hand... You couldn't give me one of those piles of junk. So many things that "should" be easy, aren't. Like that stupid uni-shoe brake shoe for the parking brake that perma locks the rotor on everytime. Or the fact that you can't pull the rear caliper slide bolt out of a pickup without removing the whole caliper/bracket assy, since the stupid engineers put the thing level with the leaf pack. I maintain Crown Vic's, and Impala's everyday for the police department, and will take any repair on the Ford over the Chevy any day. And for some unknown reason, every hillbilly with a Chevy seems to put a body lift on it. Looks like dog mess.

Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder... One man's trash is another man's Chevy.

Rob L.

Just take a look at all the HELP ME! requests that come in on CC, it's about a 20:1 ratio in favor of Renix problems.

makes sense. except that the vast majority of MJs made had renix in them. :D

anyone here ever tried to change the starter in a 4.6 ford car?

Just take a look at all the HELP ME! requests that come in on CC, it's about a 20:1 ratio in favor of Renix problems.

That may also have somthing to do with the fact that MOST MJ's had the Renix, and they are also the older ones. but thats just what I think but who knows :dunno:

Brandon

Anyone here have to replace an exhaust manifold on a Cop Crown vic? Then drill out TWO broken studs that were flush with the head? :ack:

I put headers on a saleen, wasn't bad other then having to lift the engine

As for broken exhaust studs I've replaced/extracted them on lots of engines but never a crown vic. I will say its probably a far more common problem in jeeps

makes sense. except that the vast majority of MJs made had renix in them. :D

Okay, good point since MJs died in 92. Go over to NAXJA and the other forums that cover the full Jeep range and check the HELP ME!s regarding starting, idling, stumbling, hesitating, dieing out, etc. etc. At least 10 to 1 in favor of Renix sensor junk. C'mon Pete, it was designed as a last gasp AMC alliance w. Renault and was a bastardized kluge ignition system and still is. I can see the point of carrying on the tradition of beating the Renix dead horse for tradition's sake or for maintaining a classic vehicle's original status for some, but none of the Renix era stuff will ever be a classic.

I'm an American and don't hate Ford. But apples to apples, going back to 1988, a Toyota pickup, Ford Ranger verses a Renix Comanche? Look up the specs for the torque and HP. Back then, the 4.0 was a big deal and it continued to be one until they yanked it many years later.

yes, the ho was a huge improvement no doubt over the renix.

Rob, I would not complain about crown vics, they aren't that bad. Non greasable suspensions suck, and the ball joints fall off without warning, and the tie rods get bound up so the car swerves all over the road. But they aren't bad. But as a whole, Ford vehicles are going to be most commonly considered the most annoying to work on when polling people who do it for a living, and I say that because I've talked about it with every tech I've come across at one point or another.

the v8 and v10 trucks blow spark plugs out of the holes because they only have 3 threads on the plugs. And those same engines have spark plugs seize daily. The Ford tech's require the truck to stay overnight for a tune up, they have to soak the spark plugs with penetrant to remove them, and so have I. Removing the body to remove heads for commonly failing head gaskets? And just connectors that are put on exactly the only way that makes them hard to remove. All most common in Ford. And the twin I beam suspension, what a joke, ball joints every couple years.

Truth is over the years I can list a laundry list of common problems with every vehicle make, no vehicle is perfect. Jeeps are easy and inexpensive to repair, and they are the least common vehicle to see coming in on a tow truck. That means reliable.

I've owned one ford f150 before I started working on cars, I loved it. My old boss has an excursion that has treated him flawlessly for 8 years, (it did blow one spark plug though, 30k after being installed with a torque wrench) and I've maintained it without complaining. But as a whole, Ford seems to come up with the most annoying things to fix.

edit: oh yeah, truth of the matter is the Ford Explorer was the most turned in car for cash 4 clunkers, along with our beloved xj's. That just means that many were still on the road chugging away. I'd say Ford is a reliable vehicle, I just hate working on them.

edit: oh yeah, truth of the matter is the Ford Explorer was the most turned in car for cash 4 clunkers, along with our beloved xj's. That just means that many were still on the road chugging away. I'd say Ford is a reliable vehicle, I just hate working on them.

Please don't bring C4C into any discussion on reliability. It had nothing what-so-ever to do with reliability. The politics of C4C and the fact that the majority of the owners of C4C vehicles never should have purchased the turned in vehicle in the first place. The owners really needed whatever sedan they turned the SUV's in on in the first place. The market conditions and herd mentality kept them from getting the vehicle that actually served their needs correctly.

BTW.. every Ford truck I have owned has been as reliable as my Jeeps... their cars have been somewhat emm,, lacking??