Goodbye forever to all Jeep vehicles.

Buckeye Charly

Just take a look at all the HELP ME! requests that come in on CC, it's about a 20:1 ratio in favor of Renix problems.

makes sense. except that the vast majority of MJs made had renix in them. :D

Okay, good point since MJs died in 92. Go over to NAXJA and the other forums that cover the full Jeep range and check the HELP ME!s regarding starting, idling, stumbling, hesitating, dieing out, etc. etc. At least 10 to 1 in favor of Renix sensor junk. C'mon Pete, it was designed as a last gasp AMC alliance w. Renault and was a bastardized kluge ignition system and still is. I can see the point of carrying on the tradition of beating the Renix dead horse for tradition's sake or for maintaining a classic vehicle's original status for some, but none of the Renix era stuff will ever be a classic.

the chysler stuff was built atop the shoulders of the renix design. of course it's going to be "better". it should be. :cheers:

I'm just saying that I prefer carbs, I mean renix. :rotfl2:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jpdocdave, you nailed it. I'd rather work on my Comanche anyday instead of my 99 F150. I've had 2 sparkplug blowouts and I dread any other motor work. Goes through front end parts like gas. Need another idler arm right now. Nice truck?, sure, but more annoying than any JEEP I ever owned.

Rob, I would not complain about crown vics, they aren't that bad. Non greasable suspensions suck, and the ball joints fall off without warning, and the tie rods get bound up so the car swerves all over the road. But they aren't bad. But as a whole, Ford vehicles are going to be most commonly considered the most annoying to work on when polling people who do it for a living, and I say that because I've talked about it with every tech I've come across at one point or another.

I work on a spread of beat-up, beat down Crown Vic Police primary cars that are a year old, secondary cars that are 2 years old, city pool cars that are up to 15 years old, and have never had to replace one of those grease-less joints yet. As for all those grease-able inner tie rod ends and ball joints on the 2500 HD's... Forget about it. Good thing they're cheap. But, its all what you deal with... Maybe its because I have such extreme hatred for Chevy that I hate working on them. I'd take a blend door actuator on a Vic any day over a set of rear brakes with that stupid parking brake shoe.

Rob L.

my c4c reference had nothing to do with the program itself, but merely the facts about the cars that were turned in.

I'm really surprised Rob that you haven't dealt with front end part problems on those, I can think of three crown vic cars off the top of my head that I've had recently with broken ball joints, or seized tie rods causing it to swerve all over the road. One being my Grandma's car. It is really all about what one person experiences though, that's the truth.

Good thing the city doesn't use expeditions, and new explorers then Rob, those are way worse for the rear e brake shoes inside the rotor. The rotor is not useable by the time you get it off, and most of the time the shoes come unglued from the bracket, so a rear brake job basically doubles cuz you're replacing pads and rotors, and e brake shoes that are like your typical rear drum brakes.

My MJ has only broken down twice. Both times from it not being maintained properly. This was early in my ownership. Since I've started working on it, it hasn't broken down at all, even though it's not in as great shape as it should be.

I don't know anything else that can take the beating I have given my jeep, and still come back for more...much less driving over 200 miles with an EXTREMELY bent front axle, and not having a single issue.

failure in these vehicles is 100% operator error...whether it be lack of proper maintenance, or doing something stupid, or getting hit by someone else's car.

My friend tried to follow me (back in high school) in my 89 XJ with his 94ish exploder with the modified pinto tranmisson. We had to trailer his junk home. It was a low mile JUNK ford with slap it together FORD team ignorance. Plus it rusted in the rockers worse than a now 20 yr old XJ. Before I appreciated vehicles my XJ jumped terraces, tore up fields, was parked high centered on a snow bank with all four wheels turning.......not to mention made a great bed in high school when taken out the ladies jamminz.gif Also TMI(Too much info) Nailed the first lucky lady in an XJ :brows:

Anyone who says MJs (especially the Renix junk) are reliable vehicles as compared even to Fords is living in a dream world and on crack. They are not.

Now that is just harsh. I am not on crack and I am not dreaming, my 87 renix MJ has been an amazingly reliable vehicle. Never has it left me stranded and never has it failed to start in it's 300,000+ miles. I'm not even close to being considered a mechanic, I just do it's general maintenance and it just keeps on trucking 100%. :D

Now I have nothing against Ford, how could I? They revolutionized the auto industry. Just never owned one though because my renix MJ has never given me a reason to own another vehicle.

Sorry, I just had to join the forums to defend my beloved Comanche. :cry:

Isn't it hilarious how divisive a post by a washed-up old troll who made a sour-grapes parting shot about jeep has been? I'll bet that doof hasn't even logged back on to check, but so many took the bait and are in-fighting because his butt got in over his head...

kinda sad, yes?

Isn't it hilarious how divisive a post by a washed-up old troll who made a sour-grapes parting shot about jeep has been? I'll bet that doof hasn't even logged back on to check, but so many took the bait and are in-fighting because his butt got in over his head...

kinda sad, yes?

I really feel those are unkind and unnecessary remarks and not fitting from a member of CC or any group dedicated to helping others with their hobby. I feel they would of been better left unsaid. Jim

Anyone who says MJs (especially the Renix junk) are reliable vehicles as compared even to Fords is living in a dream world and on crack. They are not.

Now that is just harsh. I am not on crack and I am not dreaming, my 87 renix MJ has been an amazingly reliable vehicle. Never has it left me stranded and never has it failed to start in it's 300,000+ miles. I'm not even close to being considered a mechanic, I just do it's general maintenance and it just keeps on trucking 100%. :D

Now I have nothing against Ford, how could I? They revolutionized the auto industry. Just never owned one though because my renix MJ has never given me a reason to own another vehicle.

Agree with you. My 347,000 mile Renix TB received it's first rebuild last week, not because it was having a problem, but only because it was off and I wanted to do it while off. It may not be as efficient and hp causing as the later system, but reliable? Oh, yea! But new and rebuild parts for it are getting few and far in between. Only kit I found for the TB was through O'Reilly for about 50 smackers. Get one before they are obsolete! Can only find used Idle Motors, and found a Position Sensor and bought it, "just in case."

kinda sad, yes?

I really feel those are unkind and unnecessary remarks and not fitting from a member of CC or any group dedicated to helping others with their hobby. I feel they would of been better left unsaid. Jim

Agreed. :thumbsup: Many of you on here are younger, so don't come down so hard on a man that is 76 and is finding himself tired of wrenching on them. :thwak: I bet you will be too when the years are added up on your body. Mind wants to, but body often doesn't let you, and you got to be realistic.

I will do everything I can to keep my MJ. ;) I have been wrenching on all my vehicles since I was 16. The only things I won't do to it is rebuild the transmission, engine, or rear differential. Take them out, tear them apart, yes, but not do the actual rebuilding. I have before, but they last a lot longer if professionally done. Plus, don't have the tools needed, and not going to get them. And now that I am 62 I do find myself wishing I could take it somewhere and get most things fixed. But, I can't afford it.

So cut us old geezers some slack, K!!! :cheers:

Great first post brotha, welcome aboard.

Umm, Dave, you see Culsu's sig? I don't think that's a brotha, brotha. I think its another MJ sista coming out of the woodwork.

And, welcome to the madness. Indeed a good first post. :cheers:

Rob L.

Umm, Dave, you see Culsu's sig? I don't think that's a brotha, brotha. I think its another MJ sista coming out of the woodwork.

And, welcome to the madness. Indeed a good first post. :cheers:

Rob L.

:fs2: shut up Rob :fool:

:jump:

I have been restoring vehicles for most of my life , old , scrapped , barely running , no motor , whatever ....

Anyone who wants to restore a vehicle should know that it takes lots of money , you might as well buy a brand new car or truck for what it will take to build an old one .

I for one , didn't buy my MJ to be out the box reliable , I knew either I could pay 20k plus or put 20k into my truck . I'm about a third of the way there now and the truck is half new .

So I'm guessing I'll finish somewhere around 15k . At that time the truck will be completely overhauled from the ground up .

I agree with the guy , if he doesn't want all the work and money put in it , go buy something new , it will cost you the same . Its pointless to argue type of vehicle , its how much is put into

the restoration of the vehicle . Or how much a vehicle costs , all manufacturers make good vehicles .

I believe the inline design of the motor is one of the best designs for any motor so far , so good in fact many manufacturers will continue the production of the 4.0 for years to come .

Like Jasper and Hesco , so thats why I chose the MJ . I don't plan on making any money off this truck , vehicles are not good investments at all .

But thats why I am a CC member , I dumped 5-6k into a truck thats arguably worth 1500 and falling ....... and I'm happier than a pig in $%$#@

I will respectfully disagree. The O.P. was certainly deliberatly controversial when he posted the anti-jeep / pro jap/ford thread on a jeep board. There was no cause for anything to be mentioned other than he was leaving. Even then just leaving w/o comment would have been the easiest path. From the title to the wording, the whole original post was designed to be inflammatory and disruptive. It was very unnecessary, especially as worded. That many bit his bait already and legitimized his post by attacking other jeepers' opinions based on his rant is surprising to me.

I am not "young" as I am a retired civil servant living on a pension myself. But a man has got to know his limitaitons, and blaming the vehicle for his limitations is uncalled for unless he was trying (and succeeding) to be a troll, IMHO.

I will respectfully disagree. The O.P. was certainly deliberatly controversial when he posted the anti-jeep / pro jap/ford thread on a jeep board. There was no cause for anything to be mentioned other than he was leaving. Even then just leaving w/o comment would have been the easiest path. From the title to the wording, the whole original post was designed to be inflammatory and disruptive. It was very unnecessary, especially as worded. That many bit his bait already and legitimized his post by attacking other jeepers' opinions based on his rant is surprising to me.

I am not "young" as I am a retired civil servant living on a pension myself. But a man has got to know his limitaitons, and blaming the vehicle for his limitations is uncalled for unless he was trying (and succeeding) to be a troll, IMHO.

I must agree. That wasnt necesary. As I tried to explain to everyone else but probably failed, if anyone were to compare the MJ to a Ford/Toyota, then it should be a fair comparison.

Fair comparison means an '88 Toyota pickup or an '88 Ford Ranger. The specs on both of those made the 4.0 MJ a big deal when it arrived on the market (yes I am old enough to remember). And if you think the MJ suffered from rust problems, in the north, the Toyota was as tough as a wet kleenex box.

Regarding the Renix being junk compared to the HO, that may be a little harsh. Vehicles & engines improve over time. That is what they are suppose to do. The HO was the second generation 4.0. Does that make the Renix junk? In my opinion, it is a great, reliable engine that runs the same as it did when new but 23 years later. I have nothing to back this up but I imagine there are more than a couple of these still on the road and logging 200k+ miles. I also bet there is a reason for that.

My '87 Renix may be junk but it could pull a Ford Ranger all over the county and wouldnt even know it is back there (Except my factory rear bumper would fold :rotf: )

We aren't attacking anyone, we just have different opinions, but also one in common. Live and let live. If someone says they hate ford, and someone else tries to justify it...listen. Maybe they can persuade you otherwise, maybe not. I heard this awhile back but they say opinions are like a$$holes, they all stink from time to time. Friendly discussion is good, insults only make you look like an @$$.

Well a wise man once told me that Jeep stands for 2 things:

Just Empty Every Pocket

Just Expect Every Problem

but I still love my mj.

I expect that, too. but what do you expect when you buy something that someone else neglected, hasn't run in years, or hasn't been properly rust-proofed?

I've probably spent around 25,000 on jeeps...and probably made more on them. every single one that I have bought has had issues when I bought it, and those issues have been fixed. the two highest investments are my '86 (MJ3800), which is around 9,000 and climbing with the next rebuild, and my '87 (utility MJ), which is around $7500.

both trucks have had issues after being repaired that were caused by me.

the 3800 has been through 4 or 5 transmissions, and an equal amount of rear ends, and will be on it's 3rd front axle and 3rd motor by the time I am done. this is because I put too much power in front of an already crappy transmission and rear end, I'm putting different gears in it when I rebuild it again, and the motor that I replaced the crappy 2.8l with, took a crap. this was ALL CAUSED BY ME.

the '87 is on it's 3rd set of axles, it's 3rd front end, 2nd motor and 3rd trans, 3rd transfercase, and many other things. oh, it will actually be on it's 4th front axle...cause I beat the crap out of it so hard I made the original one smile at me. again, this is all caused by me...the original motor was worked on by mexicans of the stereotypical sort, plus I beat on it. it was originally 2wd, so I replaced the trans when I converted it over to 4wd...I swapped in 4wd 4.10 geared axles. I then stripped the truck, and put 3.55's in it when I dropped the lift down a bit. I also converted it to a '95 H.O. setup once, and am switching again to a '99 setup. like I said, this is all what I did to the truck, not due to any failures of it's own.

again, almost all vehicle issues are caused by the owner, not the brand, and jeeps are no exception to this.

I think the OP, Buckeye Charly, could care less about all the "discussion" his post created regarding the yea/nays of MJs (be they Renix or HO), Fords, Toyotas and all the rest of the crap posted that had nothing to do with the original topic. May Buckeye Charly live happily ever after with his Fords and/or Toys, while we live happily ever after with our MJs. :cheers: