A must see .... TRIP PICS FINALLY UP! Pg 6 *****************

Automan2164

As some of you may remember, I work with the son in law of the guy who made the custom MJ on the J-10 frame. I have talked about his AMC/Jeep legacy, and the stories left behind. I digress for those who are unfamiliar.

He was an older guy, who had been an AMC fan all of his life. AMX, Javelin, Gremlin, Hornet... You name it, he had it. That goes for jeeps too. FSJ's, Comanche's, Cherokee's, J-10's, Gladiators, Willy's Pickups... CJ, YJ... Anything weird and off the wall, our kind of guy. He lived out in the country, just outside of town on five acres. He had a two car attached garage, a four-car detached garage, as well as a shop, with heat, water, a lift, and of course, an old fridge painted flat black, covered in emblems, full of beer. 8) He collected anything and everything Jeep/AMC. An excellent fiberglass man, was replicating an old AMC concept super-car. Also what helped custom make the Comanche/J-10 hybrid. He lived alone after loosing his wife, and his best time was spent in the shop, working under some defunct car. One day he was cranking out, and came inside to sit down. Turns out he had passed away after he came into the house, AMC on the lift, tunes cranking, overhead door open, and the oil out of the car. Doing what he loved, had a heart attack, and probably thought he just needed to sit down and take a breather.

This is the Comanche/J-10 Hybrid I speak of.

And this is where I am going:

It has now been some 3-4 years, and the shop is basically how it was when he passed away. His sons have taken most of what they want, and its still over flowing with his collections of stuff. There are WALLS full of hooks, and labeled parts hanging. Old gas tanks, Glass, fenders, hoods, grilles, doors, bedsides, bumpers, seats, wiring harnesses, gasket sets, heads, pistons, cranks, pulleys, door handles... You get the picture. The family is lost as to what to do with anything, and has just been sitting on the stuff for awhile. I have had the fortunate opportunity to walk through the many nooks and crannies, as well as poke around and take pics. I never met the man, but his world he created in this shop is something I could only dream of. I have learned a lot about the type of guy he was in talking to the family that knew him best, and I can only say I wish I had the chance to meet him, and kick back a beer or two. I had another chance to stop by there today, and take some pictures inside the shop. I would like to share this with you guys.

A view of the shop from the attic:

Here you can see the XJ with the 258 he was working on, the Gremlin, and the wagon on the other side of the XJ... You can also see the amazing shell he was working on trying to duplicate the concept he loved.

Random Shop pics:

Locker full of AMC/Jeep gaskets... He has countless lockers full of NOS and hard to find parts... :

Mentionable stuff:

See this box? In it, is a never-installed, never left the box all original 304 long block, that has never been fired since it left the plant. Its still in the AMC box!

How about its 401 brother just sitting under some plastic on a stand? :brows:

There are piles of engines and drivetrains laying all over the place. Most, if not all are labeled, and properly stored. Supposedly the 258 in the XJ is another on the list of engines straight out of the box, and never fired. I had to shimmy around all the boxes of stuff all over. I left most of the boxes unopened, and just tried to look out for the cool stuff. There are lockers full of NOS engine parts and pistons... 4.0L and 2.5L stuff floating around on one of them.

The cars:

Random Parts in the attic:

He has droves of parts... I only took pictures of about half of the stuff before my camera ran out of space. There are 3 Javelin's just hanging out outside, pieces and parts missing, a rambler, J-10 frame... In the detached 4 car there is even more, including another stash of parts, and a willy's pickup cab, blasted and painted (the red willy's grill in the attic pics is off of that.) Rumor has it, that all of the mold he used to make the body for the MJ/J10 are hanging or hiding somewhere in the shop. I still haven't found them. I spent about a half hour there today picking around, and I find something new every time. Just today, I stumbled onto a box of gold:

Before you ask, they are now mine, and not for sale... ;) :clapping:

Needless to say, someone could spend hours sorting through, and just loosing themselves in all of these parts and stuff. Most, if not all of it is up for the taking, and they just want to clear out this and that for a few bucks. I managed to arrange a Comanche Club walk through, after our upcoming Junkyard run and meet and greet. I know we will all be like kids in a candy store. :chillin: I am sure there are pockets of stuff still undiscovered, and rocks left unturned. I plan on going back once more before the meet and greet, and taking more pics. I have to get some more of the cars, and the other garage. Anyone else who would like to come and walk around with the few of us going to take a look around are welcome to join, and details are in the great lakes meet and greet section.

To only have been able to walk around with the guy who collected all of this. A legacy left behind.

Rob L. :cheers:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes me think maybe I should go clear my shop out.....Naw. Let the heirs do it. I never met the gent and I know him.I could sure use them '68-'78 vertical grills in the 6th pic from the bottom. HINT,HINT.

Hint H*ll, If you can get an ship for me Rob, sure would appreciate it. Jim

In 1982 I was working in Israel-Egypt. I took the tour that traced the path Jesus took carrying his cross to the hill where they crucified him. I felt awed ,trying to find right words, walking this hallowed ground. Somehow i have the feeling you felt the same way going thru this gents garage.

it is one of those sad moments that an opportunity like this to meet a gentleman like this has slipped us by. Who had a passion that rival our own. we need not missed an opportunity to share our :jump: and :headpop: with fellow jeepers like this one. this is what makes this site a great one. I too wish that I could have turn back the hands of time just to have a image_209027.gif and share stories or just listen to his. What a lost :fs1: .

Holy Car Parts, Batman! :drool: Bet he would been one heck of a guy to talk to for a day or two. Would have made a great "American Pickers" episode, or just have a tour recorded for posterity.

Hope everything finds a good home.

Not unlike a friend of mine.

Suggestion: After the Comanche Club tour, you (if you care to become the agent) or some member of the family should join the AMC Owners Club. They hold a big national meet every year, as well as smaller regional meets. As with all car shows, the parts flea market is a major draw. I'm sure they could take those parts there in a rented truck and either sell everything as a collection, or sell things one-by-one and make a lot more money. The downside to selling individual parts is that they'll be difficult to price, and it would be unlikely to sell everything at one show unless the prices were set absurdly low.

I can't think of a better guy to "oversee" the legacy that this gentleman left behind then you Automan.

It is a shame in a way that none of us will be able to take anything from this world with us (but perhaps our memories), but I am sure that this man left us happy...doing exactly what he loved.

I would love to be there with you to walk thru, but sadly I cannot. Please do not let any of this collection go to waste.

Holy Car Parts, Batman! :drool: Bet he would been one heck of a guy to talk to for a day or two. Would have made a great "American Pickers" episode, or just have a tour recorded for posterity.

NOOOOOOOOOOO..... Those two cheap assed, cherry picking bastards don't deserve one bit of that collection.... A collection like that needs to go to people who honor the dedication and desire that it took to create it.

Wow - thanks for sharing that Rob. I sure would have liked to meet the old gent and yak-yak for a couple of days over several beers just to learn. He passed away in the saddle so to speak, doing what he loved. RIP mate. May we all be so fortunate. :cheers:

I actually use a paint marker and label anything I put into the attic. Example: right as you go up, there is a driveshaft... On it is SWB92MJ40AW4231D35

Little complicated for those who aren't keen to the lingo, but most here would know exactly what kind of truck that would fit.

Rob L. ;)

NOOOOOOOOOOO..... Those two cheap assed, cherry picking bastards don't deserve one bit of that collection.... A collection like that needs to go to people who honor the dedication and desire that it took to create it.

AGREED!

AGREED!

I'm not promoting those guys. I agree that they take advantage of people that don't realize what they have. What I was trying to say( probably inadequately) was that It would have been nice to have a video tour conducted by the old gent. Kind of like the old " On the Road " with Charles Kuralt.

AGREED!

I'm not promoting those guys. I agree that they take advantage of people that don't realize what they have. What I was trying to say( probably inadequately) was that It would have been nice to have a video tour conducted by the old gent. Kind of like the old " On the Road " with Charles Kuralt.

I like watching it when somebody really sticks it to them haha. its great :rotfl2: