1990 Rebirth ('97 Conversion)

Couple of questions, did you have any issues with the Bushwacker flares since you have had them? Did you do anything to midgate them vibrating? Or are they fine? I just installed mine and wondered if I needed to do anything to prevent them from vibrating so I don't lose the nut. Also where did you get the emblems for the doors? I had to take my emblems off from the fenders and really liked the one's you had on your doors. Where did you get them? Or are they the ones from the fenders?   

I haven't had any issues with the bushwackers.  They have faded slightly, but no vibrating.

The decals came from Spencer at http://jeepsticker.com/ (no S).  He was great to deal with and I would send anyone to him.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Every once in a while I forget why I bought my MJ so I come here and read your build again...  amazing. :-) 

Aww thanks!  I don't drive it a whole lot, mainly because it gets 13 mpg, but when I do I remember why I've put so much time and effort (and money) into it.

I owe this truck, and Ryan, my comanche and then some. He saved me a whole lotta frustration by telling me how to start a hydrolocked engine, drove me off the trail and to autobone to get the parts I needed, and back out on the trail to help me put it all together.  Started up and we wheeled the rest of the day. Awesome truck, and awesome dude. 

Every time I come to this thread I find more stuff I want to do, thanks Ryan!

On that subject: I have a question for you, if that is okay.

When you installed the 97+ front clip, you also installed the fenders from the 97+ XJ, why? Is this necessary for fitting the clip or was it because of the fender flares matching the front bumper?

The fenders are actually different in multiple ways, but the biggest reason for using them is that the contour of the header panel is different.  So if you installed a '97 clip on pre '97 fenders, they wouldn't match up correctly.  I tried to find a thread that would show this, but all the pictures were dead links.  

Every time I come to this thread I find more stuff I want to do, thanks Ryan!

On that subject: I have a question for you, if that is okay.

When you installed the 97+ front clip, you also installed the fenders from the 97+ XJ, why? Is this necessary for fitting the clip or was it because of the fender flares matching the front bumper?

The fenders are actually different in multiple ways, but the biggest reason for using them is that the contour of the header panel is different.  So if you installed a '97 clip on pre '97 fenders, they wouldn't match up correctly.  I tried to find a thread that would show this, but all the pictures were dead links.  

Gotcha, thank you!

I mostly want the front clip for a stock location for fog lights, I don't mind the renix face. If I have to swap the fenders, that's a little too involved for me at this point.

• 2 months later...

Well, after 4 days of reading your thread, on and off while working, I'm very impressed. I love your Comanche. I'm actually in the middle of doing an interior swap myself. Your Comanche is perfect. I wasn't too fond of the color at first, but after looking at it, I love it, it may become the color of mine (if I can get away from the white).

Well, after 4 days of reading your thread, on and off while working, I'm very impressed. I love your Comanche. I'm actually in the middle of doing an interior swap myself. Your Comanche is perfect. I wasn't too fond of the color at first, but after looking at it, I love it, it may become the color of mine (if I can get away from the white).

Thanks Kyle!  I wasn't 100% sure on the color when I picked it, but now I can't imagine painting it any other color.  I love how it looks gold in some lights and green in others.  It feels very "Jeep" to me and fits the personality of the truck.  Good luck with the interior swap; it's a lot of work, but worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

The tailgate that came with my truck was not the original one.  It was blue and had been spray bombed to match the faded black paint that the truck had when I bought it.  When I applied the Upol Raptor, I scuffed the paint thinking that would be enough.  Well, the black paint began to separate and pulled the liner with it in spots.  The only way to fix it was to completely strip it.

I've got it back in primer, but haven't had a chance to respray the liner yet.  Luckily, I still have a bottle of the Raptor left over.  I hope it's still good.

Ryan, can you help me with a quandary?

Flats or cut-outs? You've done both, I'm hoping you can offer some perspective as to what would work best for me, I'd rather not cut if I don't have too.

32s on 18x9 with about a 4'' lift.

Thanks

If you don't want to cut as much then the flats for sure. However, the rears are meant for an xj and they don't fit the body lines as well. It bothered me enough to get rid of them.

Flats or cut-outs? You've done both, I'm hoping you can offer some perspective as to what would work best for me, I'd rather not cut if I don't have too.

I'll remove pic after your response.

Thanks

If you don't want to cut as much then the flats for sure. However, the rears are meant for an xj and they don't fit the body lines as well. It bothered me enough to get rid of them.

I'll remove pic after your response.

Thanks

OK.

So even the flats require some cutting?

And the cutouts fit well in the rear as opposed to the flats?

Guess it's the cutouts then.

And in the end you are happy with fit and finish?

Thanks

Yes, the flats do require some cutting, but the cut outs more.  The cut outs are actually designed for the Comanche, so they fit well.  They weren't my first choice, but I wanted matching front and rear flares and since I have the '97 front end, this was my best option, so I'm happy.

I got the tailgate back together.  I just need some rivets for the rubber bumpers on the side.  I repainted the hinges black, but I'm not sure if I like them or not.  the green paint wasn't holding very well.

Since I was working at the back of the truck, I decided to do some additional freshening.  The driver light is as it was.  The passenger light has been polished and cleared.

Here are both after polishing and clearing:

I also added an additional ground hoping that the light output would be a little brighter.  I've been told my brake lights are a little hard to see in the day time.  Now my bumper needs repainting.

• 2 months later...