1990 Rebirth ('97 Conversion)

I installed the new master and booster and I still have the same problem.  Firm pedal with the truck off, but as soon as I turn it on, there is very little resistance.  Its possible that I still have air trapped in the system somewhere or it could be something entirely different.

The brakes work sorta so I may just have to drive it gingerly somewhere to have a vacuum put on the system to make sure its been bled correctly, but if that's not it then I'm a little stumped.

I use a power bleeder when doing brakes now as it's easier to get air bubbles flushed out.  I did a rear brake conversion on my Scrambler to GM metric brakes with calipers mounted toward the front, putting the brake lines entering the opposite side they originally did.  Took a while to realize the lines/caliper trap air and I have to remove the calipers, put a rotor thick block of wood in them, and turn them upside down (really right side up) to get the air bled out!  It took us running through a gallon of fluid to realize that.... (I now have a gallon jug of old brake fluid labeled 'Paint Remover'!  :brows: ) 

on my 98' conversion the pedal is hard when off & moderate when engine is on, but the brakes are strong.

You would be good the pull you rear drums and do a visual on the brake cyliders, I found I had one seal partially popped out on a side. Any small leak can cause havoc.  Are you running the rear axle weight sensitive proportioning valve?  I removed mine.

One of the first vehicle maintenance projects I ever tackled was replacing a seized caliper on my '91 YJ.  I had the same issue trying to bleed the calipers mounted upside down.

I haven't inspected the rear wheel cylinders because I ran out of time, but its not a bad idea.  I still have the rear prop valve.  

I got a chance to inspect the rear wheel cylinders today and they seem fine.  The brakes were way out of adjustment (which is odd since I just adjusted them when I swapped axles last summer.  After adjusting them, the pedal isn't much better if at all, so I'm just going to see if I can find someone near by that can pressure bleed the system.

very impressed with this build...mine is going down a very similar path. 68 cuda notchs...very sweet....pics please.....

I have a build thread on the A body forums here, but I occasionally will upload some pictures in our other ongoing projects thread here as well.

I really like your steering wheel.  How difficult was it to do the stitching? 

There are a bunch of ways you can do it and I will say overall it wasn't too bad, but I think it would be difficult to do well by yourself if you've never done it before.  I was glad to have a helping hand to stretch the leather and hold things tight while I threaded.

I really like your steering wheel.  How difficult was it to do the stitching? 

There are a bunch of ways you can do it and I will say overall it wasn't too bad, but I think it would be difficult to do well by yourself if you've never done it before.  I was glad to have a helping hand to stretch the leather and hold things tight while I threaded.

It just looks so damn nice.  I am considering it.  No comparison to the original.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My bad, how about new pedal pads, or the b pillar lights if they have them.

Ha, I actually recently bought a new brake pedal pad.  I looked high and low for one that actually fit like the original.  I ended up having to buy one from the dealer.  I have the euramtec b pillar lights (I've had them for several years).  Although one of them no longer works as an entry light; I was disappointed that it broke so quickly.  It still works as a map light so I haven't bothered changing it.

I ended up buying a Viair air down kit and a fire extinguisher for my Barracuda.

Not Comanche related, but Its that time of year again.  I bought another TJ to fix up and sell.

I got it for cheap, but the 32rh needs rebuilding, the paint is rough and it needs tires.  I couldn't pass it up for the price though.  Its a '99 and only has 140k miles.  The PO installed a new radiator, exhaust manifold, head gasket, battery and valve cover gasket. I'm hoping for a quick and profitable flip.

• 2 months later...

I haven't done anything to the MJ recently except driving it quite a bit.  My last tank got me 14.5 mpg which is pretty good for me.  I did wash it today and I got the TJ finished and ready to sell as soon as the title gets here.

• 3 months later...

I got the Comanche back out on the trails today.  PFCLeist invited me out to Uwharrie and we had an adventurous day.  I got a video of Sean, but I'll let him decide if he wants to me to share it.

Wish I had gotten some more and better pictures, but we had a fun time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Today I celebrated my fifth year of Comanche ownership.  Its made quite the transformation over the years, but I've enjoyed every stage of it.  While I've done mostly everything I wanted to do to it, I still have several ideas in mind for the next five years.

Couple of questions, did you have any issues with the Bushwacker flares since you have had them? Did you do anything to midgate them vibrating? Or are they fine? I just installed mine and wondered if I needed to do anything to prevent them from vibrating so I don't lose the nut. Also where did you get the emblems for the doors? I had to take my emblems off from the fenders and really liked the one's you had on your doors. Where did you get them? Or are they the ones from the fenders?   

Couple of questions, did you have any issues with the Bushwacker flares since you have had them? Did you do anything to midgate them vibrating? Or are they fine? I just installed mine and wondered if I needed to do anything to prevent them from vibrating so I don't lose the nut. Also where did you get the emblems for the doors? I had to take my emblems off from the fenders and really liked the one's you had on your doors. Where did you get them? Or are they the ones from the fenders?

He got the stickers from jeepstickers.com