1990 Rebirth ('97 Conversion)

8 hours ago, jeepin2004 said:

Hey Ryan, thanks for putting in all your time to do a write up like this on your build. I have followed it as of today, and will be referring back to it as I get into my build of 2 mj's to 1 mj

No problem.  Good luck on the build.  If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me.  The forums aren't sending me notifications on my followed topics any more, so a PM might be a better option.

No problem.  Good luck on the build.  If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me.  The forums aren't sending me notifications on my followed topics any more, so a PM might be a better option.
thanks

The one I brought to start with already had the 97+ front swap, a half-@$$ SOA( they didn't move the spring perches), and was rotted worse then I could really tell on a dark snowy night when I got it. I picked up a bed and rockers and cab corners.

Just got a donor for the rear frame section but the cab looks better then mine. And it's gutted out so it looks like a ground up build on that one and I might do the 97+ dash

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On 11/2/2018 at 9:07 AM, Rymanrph said:

The forums aren't sending me notifications on my followed topics any more, so a PM might be a better option.

how about now?  I changed some things that would hopefully fix that.  :L: 

On 11/3/2018 at 1:43 PM, Pete M said:

how about now?  I changed some things that would hopefully fix that.  :L: 

When I go to mange followed content, it says that this thread hasn't been updated since January of 2013.  I have similar issues with other threads that I follow.

• 1 month later...

Hey Ryan thanks again for this detailed thread I've been reading it off and on for the past couple days. It's turned out to be a beautiful truck.   I just started mine and hope to achieve  greatness as you did especially with that above head console. ITSbitchin!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I can't believe it's been almost 2 years since I posted in this thread.  A lot has changed in my life since then (moved, had a baby), but the Comanche is still going strong.  It does however need some work.  The electrical connections going through the doors are continuing to deteriorate.  Sometimes the power locks work and sometimes they don't.  Sometimes the motors engage constantly just sitting there.  The power mirror controls don't work any more and the power window control on the passenger door doesn't work, so I know that I need to pull the harness and figure out which wires have failed me.

The worse part about the truck though is the paint.  I didn't spend much on the original paint job nine years ago and it shows now.  Some of the body filler on the back of the cab started lifting and flaking.  I chipped back what I could and just sprayed some rust reformer to keep it from getting worse.  The cheap clear coat just isn't holding up and is flaking pretty badly.  The sides aren't bad (not great either), but the roof and hood are toast.

The body shop that I like to use quoted me $5-7k for a full respray if I do some of the prep work myself.  They do good work, but I can't justify that kind of money.  The guy that painted my Barracuda quoted me $4k, but even that is just too much.  I'm actually tempted to see what Maaco would say (their online estimate for their premium paint service is $1,330 to $2,220 and has a five year warranty).  I could do a substantial amount of prep work by removing unnecessary items like the flares, bumpers, grill, cab vents, etc.

One thing I'm not sure of is if they could stick with the same Rescue Green paint that I already have on it.  If not, I would need some suggestions on a new color.  I imagine I would go with something completely different.  I loved the Copperhead on my '14 JK.  I certainly would want something that would stand out and be unique (no whites, grays, black, silver, etc.).  Maybe Inca Gold from the Prowler?

Let me know what you guys think.  Am I crazy to even consider Maaco, or do they just get a bad rap because of their cheaper entry level spray jobs?  I love this truck, but I have no delusions that it's worth a $7k paint job.  I just want it to look good sitting in the driveway since I don't ever put it in the garage.  I like to take pride in what I drive and flaking paint doesn't sit well with me.

IMG_20200712_175656.jpg

IMG_20200615_121310.jpg

IMG_20200615_121257.jpg

Wow, an update!  This was one of the builds that inspired me to get started on my truck.  Sad to see that it's starting to wear away like this.  How much did you spend on the original paint job and where did you get it done?

5 minutes ago, Chargum85 said:

Wow, an update!  This was one of the builds that inspired me to get started on my truck.  Sad to see that it's starting to wear away like this.  How much did you spend on the original paint job and where did you get it done?

A local guy did it for me.  I gave him I think about $1,300 and some TJ half doors with uppers.  I think he used decent paint, but lousy clear coat.  Plus, I hardly ever wash or wax it and it sits outside all the time, so I can't be too surprised.

33 minutes ago, Rymanrph said:

A local guy did it for me.  I gave him I think about $1,300 and some TJ half doors with uppers.  I think he used decent paint, but lousy clear coat.  Plus, I hardly ever wash or wax it and it sits outside all the time, so I can't be too surprised.

I suppose that's a pretty good deal if it lasted 9 years.  Any pics of the whole truck as it sits now?

8 minutes ago, Chargum85 said:

I suppose that's a pretty good deal if it lasted 9 years.  Any pics of the whole truck as it sits now?

Well, it didn't quite last 9 years, but that's just how long it took to look like it does now.  Here's one terribly cropped picture of the side and one during a storm with my LJ and my wife's Cherokee in the back.  The side looks decent from a distance, but the top edge of the bed, the fenders, and the tailgate are starting to flake too.

IMG_20200615_121249.jpg

IMG_20200815_150858.jpg

one of the choices I've contemplated with my 88 is repainting the hood/roof with a complimentary color (mostly because I'll never be able to match 30 year old red).  I'd still have to deal with the tops of the fenders/bed, but maybe some polishing up and hitting with better clear can save them?  there are spots on my roof and hood that are beyond saving (down to primer).

good to see ya my friend :waving:

Don’t make the Maaco mistake. I did and now I’m paying for it. The prep is absolutely $#!&. They destroyed the chrome trim on the truck with over spray and then sanded the $#!& out of it. The paint lasted about 2 years and peeling everywhere where. Now it’s going to cost me between $8-10k to get the truck down to bare metal/body work and a professional/show car finish. Hopefully in the next 6 months I’ll be ready to have it done.

24 minutes ago, 19comanche86 said:

Don’t make the Maaco mistake. I did and now I’m paying for it. The prep is absolutely $#!&. They destroyed the chrome trim on the truck with over spray and then sanded the $#!& out of it. The paint lasted about 2 years and peeling everywhere where. Now it’s going to cost me between $8-10k to get the truck down to bare metal/body work and a professional/show car finish. Hopefully in the next 6 months I’ll be ready to have it done.

What level did you pay for?  The premium is supposed to have a five year warranty.  If I have to get it painted every five years at $2k, that's still better than spending double or triple that.  I suppose a $7k paint job will last considerably longer and be more cost effective in the long run, but that is just not an option for me.  If that's what it takes, I'll sand down the clear coat and pasti-dip it.  I'm not looking for a show car finish.

• 1 year later...

Well it's been a year since I talked about painting it and now I have.  Not all Maacos are the same and I was able to inspect some of their work on other vehicles beforehand, so I took a chance.  They weren't able to get the rescue green paint and since only the top surfaces were bad, I decided to two-tone it.  I'm guessing reactions will be split, but I'm happy with the job they did and happy with how it looks.

Thoughts on the green grill?  I still have the black unpainted one I could for.  I also thought about plasti dipping the recesses on the green headlight buckets black to break it up a bit.

PXL_20210821_184755165.jpg

PXL_20210821_184809534.jpg

PXL_20210821_184823715.jpg

PXL_20210821_184833362.jpg

Definitely was a bigger fan of the green color, and your original build was an inspiration for me to buy a Comanche in the first place.  Still looks great though--how often are you driving/wheeling it these days?

1 hour ago, Chargum85 said:

Definitely was a bigger fan of the green color, and your original build was an inspiration for me to buy a Comanche in the first place.  Still looks great though--how often are you driving/wheeling it these days?

I probably liked the all green better too, but I don't dislike this.  I don't get to wheel it much at all.  I'm working on my masters and have a 17 month old.  I do like working in the yard so it gets a lot of work going to the nurseries for plants and to Lowes for mulch and dirt.  I drive it enough to keep the battery good.

• 5 months later...

The time has come to sell the Comanche.  I have a son now and need a truck with a rear seat.  It will be difficult to see it go, but I've certainly had my fun with it and now someone else will get to.  Of all my Jeeps and cars that I've owned, this has been my favorite.  The experience of owning and building this truck has been second to none, and this forum was a huge part of that experience.  This community will always hold a special place in my heart.  Thanks for everything!