'68 Plymouth Barracuda Notchback

After finishing the '97 conversion and upgrading the suspension I'm at a somewhat "done" position on the Comanche. It will never be done, but I'm at a good pause point for now. So, I needed something else to work on. Here is the next project, a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda:

Its got a 360 backed by a 727 transmission and a 8.75 rear end. Parts of the interior are in great shape, but it needs a paint job and some TLC here and there, but I think its going to be a fun project.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mopars look good with a mis colored hood

1969-plymouth-road-runner-440-6-pack-2.jpg

1969-plymouth-road-runner-440-6-pack-1.jpg

1969-plymouth-road-runner-440-6-pack-6.jpg

I'd paint it flat black and just have fun with the car :yes:

1969-Plymouth-Road-Runner-for-sale_281034196353.jpg

Awesome car by the way!!

I wanted a Baracuda like yours since I was a little kid :)

(I'd just put my paint fund money towards swapping in a 4 speed instead :D )

& Nice wheels too!

I think those are CenterLine Convo-Pro's

Were supposed to be lighter, with the ribbed rim (thinner material + ribs for strength)

I haven't seen them in a while,

they were always one of my favorites too.

Nice find!

The pictures make it look better than it is. It has disc brakes up front but something isn't right with them. The dash is kinda trashed. The previous PO hit something on the driver side rear quarter. The heat doesn't work and its got some rot in the rockers and several small holes in the trunk. But I love it and can't wait to work on it.

There seems to be really stupid money in muscle cars nowadays. I'd polish or repaint it and put a new interior in it then take it to auction. Use the proceeds to buy another Jeep.

I'm actually selling a Jeep to afford this (a '97 TJ), but its not worth that much. It will hopefully get new paint one day, but I'll probably spend as much on that as I did buying the car. Well, maybe not; I guess it just depends on how much rot is in the rockers. The interior isn't so bad. The carpet is really good and the seat covers look brand new. The door panels need a little work and the dash needs a lot of work, but the headliner is good.

It developed a tick on the way home, so I put in some Marvel Mystery Oil and let it run for about an hour and then changed the oil. Its not completely gone, but it sounds a ton better. The condition of the car reminds me a lot of my Comanche when I got it except that the Comanche was all original. With this car, I have to figure out someone else's work.

• 3 months later...

The bad thing about buying a car you like, they tend to multiply.

The blue one is another '68 with a 318/904 with an 8.25 rear end.  The paint is shot, but the body itself is in much better shape.  Despite this being originally a slant six car, its much less molested than the red car, so I'm swapping the drive trains and rear ends and then the red one will be going back up for sale.

The red one now has the 318 that I pulled from the blue car.  The blue car is getting a 360 which goes with a considerable amount of force more than the 318.  360 on the left, 318 on the right.

I like the 68 best of all because of the round side marker lights. Had one in high school.

If you look at the red one, you can see a bunch of '67 parts on it (grills, parking lamps, trunk trim, etc.).

Is that Petty blue?

Best I can tell yes.  The engine bay and all the jams are still shiny and it has a lot of pearl in it.  I bet it looked really good when it was first painted.

I didn't notice all the things you mentioned, but did notice the PLYMOUTH letters accross the nose. I do like the letters all stretched across as on the red one. Reminds me of a superbird for some reason...

If it were mine, I'd swap them onto the blue one, but sounds like you are trying to stay more on the original side which is usually a good idea on those cars.

Either way, those are some awesome projects.

Edit: Do you happen to have an "SS" badge for those?

There were Formula S models, but both of mine were originally slant six cars.  I'm obviously not completely concerned about originality with the motor swaps, but I do want to maintain the year appearance (the Plymouth letters on the header, the grills, parking lamps, side markers, tail lights, trims, etc.).

I got the rear end swapped over this weekend, so I went ahead and swapped the wheels/tires too.  I tried to get it started, but I thinking my timing is way off; I'll have to address that this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe someone can move this over to the new section.

It runs and it drives! I have just a couple little things left to do and then it will be for sale. When it does sell, then work can begin on the blue one.

• 3 weeks later...

I finished the red car and its for sale.  Now I have my work cut out for me on the blue car.  I have to fix this crappy patch job on the floor:

It didn't look so bad on top, but underneath was a different story:

The patches were way too big and covered up good metal.  This looks a little familiar (I'm having flashbacks to working on the MJ):

For such a crappy paint job on this car, they sure painted everything (the original color was dark green).  As soon as I can sell the red car, patch the floor and install my rear axle, I'll have the engine bay painted.  Any suggestions on color?

• 5 weeks later...