1990 Rebirth ('97 Conversion)

But where are all the dents and scratches? :dunno:

My camera does an excellent job hiding the imperfections. If you look hard enough in the above picture, you can see the dent in the lower bedside behind the tire. I had the front end on jack stands (which raised the rear some too) and when I lowered it back down, one of my 31s had rolled up under the bed. The truck is far from perfect and in person it shows that its been used, but I try to take really good care of it. I'm not opposed to using it as an off road vehicle or truck, but I want to avoid dents and scratches if at all possible.

I finally got the truck out to Uwharrie today. Everything went very well except the pressure line for my power steering sprang a leak. The suspension performed well and my transfer case even behaved, so all in all, a good day. Here are a couple shots:

Here is a link to the rest of the pictures of the day including many of the couple wranglers that I rode with:

My favorite truck on here.

Looks like the suspension did very well.

How does it drive on the street?

Thanks! Its great on the street. A little top heavy feeling, but that's to be expected with ~6.5" of lift. It leans a little more in the corners, but the new springs and shocks seems to have eliminated some of the bounciness that I experienced before. My old setup wasn't bad, this is just better. I actually expected a more dramatic difference.

How did the transfer case perform?

If I'm in drive I can't really change gears. If I put the transmission in neutral, I can go into low or back in to 2wd with a slight roll, but if I'm sitting still in drive there is absolutely no way for me to get into low. Is that normal?

The transfer case isn't designed to go into 4lo when in drive if that's what you're referring to. If you want to go into 4lo you need to shift the trans into neutral at a stop because of the gear reduction and in the 242 it locks the front and rear diffs together unlike fulltime 4wd which they have a limited slip type of effect. To go from 2wd to 4wd full time or part time and back you should be able to do that in drive. If it grinds the linkage isn't adjusted right. Those factory shift gates are EXACTLY where it should end up to mesh the gears correctly. That said mine do not line up yet. I'll keep you posted on that, I have a house project putting the Jeep on the back burner. :ack:

• 3 weeks later...

dude this was an awesome build, i cannot get over how much work you have put into this truck. i am extremely jealous and

hoping that some day i can do the dash swap also!! the jeep is so sick, i am in the raleigh area, and i got to URE quite often. i hope

to see you there one day!

dude this was an awesome build, i cannot get over how much work you have put into this truck. i am extremely jealous and

hoping that some day i can do the dash swap also!! the jeep is so sick, i am in the raleigh area, and i got to URE quite often. i hope

to see you there one day!

When you're planning a trip to URE, let me know and I might be able to meet you out there.

When you're planning a trip to URE, let me know and I might be able to meet you out there.

Alright man, hopefully we will head up there for rockvember... my manche is no where near done for it to be wheeled...

but a few of my buddies have XJs, TJs, and a few 4 wheelers. we might head up there..

i shipped off for basic training on nov 20th, so i won't be around until next spring.

• 1 month later...

I finished the console today.

You'll notice that I've got the keyless entry board in the garage door opener spot. I still need the cover. Also, there is a gap between the console and the headliner. The headliner curves while the console does not. I'll have to do a little work to make it match (I may just end up using some velcro strips). I did a write up for everything here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32556

I got tired of the gap between my overhead console and the roof, so I spent a couple days fixing it. I cut some pieces from old fender liners to fill the gap and contour it with the roof. After a little epoxy, some reinforcement and a little putty, I recovered it and re-installed it last night. It fits better than the shadows of this picture make it look. It looks ten times better and I wish I had done this from the start.

My brother looks a little surprised in this picture doesn't he?

Dude your truck just looks killer. Everytime you post new pics I drool over them. I mentioned in another thread this morning tht mine is finally at the painters place (over a week now...probably 3 more to go).

There is not a thing you have done to this rig that is wrong or looks out of place. If mine comes off 1/2 as nice I will be thrilled.

hope you have installed an alarm system....

Bob in Denver

Dude your truck just looks killer. Everytime you post new pics I drool over them. I mentioned in another thread this morning tht mine is finally at the painters place (over a week now...probably 3 more to go).

There is not a thing you have done to this rig that is wrong or looks out of place. If mine comes off 1/2 as nice I will be thrilled.

hope you have installed an alarm system....

Bob in Denver

Thanks Bob. Your's has a great look too. I really love some of the custom fab pieces on your truck and I still like the look of the flat flares better. It will be a stunner when its painted.

Ryan, pimpin job on filling in the gaps on the OHC. I have a good headliner in the Phoenix and was thinking I'd get the same little gaps. Was contemplating using plastic scraps to fill in the gaps and contouring them to match. After seeing how yours turned out, I am now officially sold on the idea. Thanks a lot bro!!

Ryan, pimpin job on filling in the gaps on the OHC. I have a good headliner in the Phoenix and was thinking I'd get the same little gaps. Was contemplating using plastic scraps to fill in the gaps and contouring them to match. After seeing how yours turned out, I am now officially sold on the idea. Thanks a lot bro!!

Hey, no problem. I followed your example for making it fit in the first place. I can give you a couple more details if you need them.