1990 Rebirth ('97 Conversion)

I didn't like the way the rear flat flares looked on the truck, so I'm selling them.

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopi ... 24&t=36009

I have a set of cut out flares on the way. They weren't my first choice, but I think I'll be a little happier with the fitment in the long run.

I had the same buyers remorse man. I tip my hat to you and not settling for anything but the best. Good luck man

RockMJ

Rockmj wins the award for guessing my wheels. But I had a little custom touch that I was waiting on.

I've only painted one trim ring so far just to see how it will look. I hope I'll have enough paint left over in my 12oz spray can to do the rest. I did a photoshop of the black wheels and the polished and with the green, the black looked a lot better. I though the cragars I had on the truck before looked really good, plus these had the widest offset of any 15" wheel I could find.

I also got the shock mounts and spring perches cut off of the new 8.25.

Top notch Ryan. So jealous!

Jealous? I'm pretty much catching up to you!

I got the new Bushwackers installed:

Couple things bothered me about the install:

1: The instructions are awful. Compared to the instructions included with the flat flares, these are simplistic at best.

2: The engineering and attachment method of the flat flares is far superior. The cut outs were about $100 more, but felt about $100 cheaper. However, these actually fit my application.

3: I should have put the flares out in the sun for a while before I installed them. One of the rear flares was so badly contorted in the box, it was so out of shape that I confused it for the wrong side. I actually installed the wrong flare on the wrong side. When I went to install the other flare, I realized my mistake. They are not labeled well at all (especially compared to the flat flares)

4: The flat flares use a nut on the back of a bolt to hold the mounting brackets on. The cutouts just use a sheet metal screw. I would have felt much better with a nut on the back.

I still need to figure out what to do about the screw that needs to be installed directly into the washer reservoir, but I'm done and I'm very glad. I still think the flat flares looked a little better, but I'm glad these actually fit correctly.

I'm glad I've got new wheels and tires coming because these 31s look rather ridiculous now.

You can use the bolt to cut the threads in the fender, take it out and cut the excess off, then reinstall the new shorter bolt.

Here is a handy tip for anyone with the BW cutout flares,

The nuts that hold the stock flare brackets on are exactly the right size to fit the screws that BW provides with the flares. I highly suggest doing it now before they fall out. The flares will vibrate and wallow out the holes. This causes the bolts to just disappear one day. A dab of Locktight will keep the nuts tight as well.

The truck looks great too!

Here is a handy tip for anyone with the BW cutout flares,

The nuts that hold the stock flare brackets on are exactly the right size to fit the screws that BW provides with the flares. I highly suggest doing it now before they fall out. The flares will vibrate and wallow out the holes. This causes the bolts to just disappear one day. A dab of Locktight will keep the nuts tight as well.

Bushwacker must have changed the screws, because the nuts wouldn't fit on mine at all. They were too small.

I got the other 3 trim rings painted, but I just really wanted to see what they'd look like on the truck.

I still haven't ordered tires yet. I was going to mock up the axle and then borrow some tires to decide between 33s and 35s, but at this point, I think I'm just going to put on 35s and do what I need to to make them fit. I may change my mind and mock them up next week. We'll see. I think what's holding me back is I can get a set of 33" Duratracs for a decent price, but since Goodyear doesn't make a 35" Duratrac, I'm waiting on a good deal on some KM2s.

A friend of mine let me borrow some spare wheels and tires (35s) to mock up on the MJ to see how they fit. Here is a shot with the current wheels with the rear SOA. The front is still on just the 3" coils.

The SOA gave me 3" over the Hell Creek leafs. They are supposed to be 3" lift springs, but I don't have a factory measurement to compare to, so let's just say its about 6" of lift. I put the truck on a jack stand to try and match the added lift in the front. Here it is with the borrowed wheels and tires:

Obviously, my factory control arms are bringing the tire back further than it needs to be. I also think I'm going to need more than 3" lift in the front, so I'm going to see if I can find some used 4.5" coils to go along with my ACOS.

I just hung the trim rings to get an idea of how they'd look on the truck.

The borrowed tires are actually for sale. Thoughts on the 35s or should I drop down to 33s?

An easy answer to that question is, whats your gearing?

Looks good though!

The axles are getting re-geared the 2nd week of July. I'm trying to pick a tire size, so I can tell the shop what gears I want.

An easy answer to that question is, whats your gearing?

Looks good though!

The axles are getting re-geared the 2nd week of July. I'm trying to pick a tire size, so I can tell the shop what gears I want.

I can tell you from running every tire size up to a 37, 33's are the most comfortable all around size for daily driving. My ZJ was amazing to drive on the Clayton's LA's and 33's but once I moved up to 35's it wasnt as enjoyable. I'm in the same boat trying to decide on a size and I'm probably going to stick with 33's because of what I have experienced in the past. Its all up to what you what you want to do with the rig really. Maybe make a list of pros and cons and decide that way?

RockMJ

What was the reason for not useng your old rims????

My tires already tuck in quite a bit and now that I have the Bushwackers, they look a little goofy. I could run spacers, but I'm still gaining almost an inch of backspacing with these new wheels compared to the Ravines with spacers.

I'm starting to lean toward the 33s, but I can't make up my mind and its driving me crazy. I just know that this will be the only time I re-gear this truck, so I want to make sure I get it right the first time. My friend has some 33s that I can borrow to mock up too, so I thought about doing that this weekend. My only issue is that I need to tell the shop what gears to order and I've only got two weeks left. I don't want to put the truck in the shop and not have all the parts ready.

What was the reason for not useng your old rims????

My tires already tuck in quite a bit and now that I have the Bushwackers, they look a little goofy. I could run spacers, but I'm still gaining almost an inch of backspacing with these new wheels compared to the Ravines with spacers.

I'm starting to lean toward the 33s, but I can't make up my mind and its driving me crazy. I just know that this will be the only time I re-gear this truck, so I want to make sure I get it right the first time. My friend has some 33s that I can borrow to mock up too, so I thought about doing that this weekend. My only issue is that I need to tell the shop what gears to order and I've only got two weeks left. I don't want to put the truck in the shop and not have all the parts ready.

If ya 33's on you rims will fill yours flears out that would be my choice

35's anit really DD type tyres in my opinion :popcorn:

sweet! personally, i was a little let down with the KM2 but overall its a good tire. glad you went with 33s, its really the better choice especially for a weekend warrior/street queen kind of thing then 35s

sweet! personally, i was a little let down with the KM2 but overall its a good tire. glad you went with 33s, its really the better choice especially for a weekend warrior/street queen kind of thing then 35s

What let you down about the KM2s? I had a set on my TJ a couple years back and I loved them. My other choice was to go for Duratracs again. They are quiet on the road, but have a weaker side wall and I will take this offroad some, so that had me a little concerned. Also I've heard many have wear problems with the bigger tires. My 31s have cupped some, but I keep them rotated and they've been good performers. The Duratrac 33 is actually over a 1/4" smaller than the KM2 33.