1990 Rebirth ('97 Conversion)

I finally got a new job, so I treated the truck to a small upgrade. Can't do a whole lot right now because I need to build some funds back up and Christmas is just around the corner. I had clear turn signals on the truck before the swap and really liked it; plus I didn't really like the way the amber looked with the Rescue Green paint.

Anyone know where to get some chrome turn signal bulbs? These clears ones won't cut it.

can't wait to see it with the rollbar in the back (if you decide to do so :wrench: )

Yeah, its going back in. The problem is that its a little wide, a little tall and the mounting plates need to be redone..... and I can't weld. Otherwise, it would have been back in the truck a long time ago.

The big things left on my list are:

1. Roll bar

2. Lights for the roll bar (2 forward facing and I'd like to flush mount a reverse/cargo light or LED strip)

3. Bed liner

4. Factory fog lights

5. Window tint

6. Small subwoofer (maybe down the road)

So you work at Central Piedmont? I will be hopefully be at UNCC by the summer, and have my Comanche down there too...

Yeah, I've had a couple part-time jobs there in the past, but I just started there full-time. My dad went there before transferring to UNCC and my mom has worked there since I was in kindergarten, so its been pretty good for my family.

So I filled up the truck the other day. It sounded like it was filling up quite a bit (more than usual). And of course, I started collecting a nice gas puddle under the truck. I don't know if it was my old leak coming back to haunt me, or if it over filled and my roll over valves were leaking or what. I'm ready to find something else to make this gas situation work better.

On a positive note, I got U-pol Raptor for Christmas from my brother. I'm trying to decide if I should do it before or after I drill all the holes for the roll bar. The problem is that the roll bar needs a LOT of work and I can't weld.

I got tired of the roll bar sitting in the garage and not in the truck. Plus, I really want to drill the mounting holes before I spray in the U-pol Raptor. Even though I've had the bar in the truck before, it was too wide (it was literally squeezed in) and too tall. So, since I can't weld I decided to try an idea that my brother suggested. I went to Lowes and picked up some 2" PVC, some couplings and 4" bolts. This is a cheap way for me to cut the bars, sleeve them and mock it all up for someone else to weld. Here is a picture of one of my sleeves:

I had to take an inch out of the width and this left me with this:

You can see its still too high, but now I have plenty of clearance on the side:

Here's a shot from the front showing the height difference between the cab and the bar:

I decided to take 1.5" out of the height. It won't make the bar flush, but I don't want the lights just glaring off the roof and not lighting in front of me. Here is the main hoop mocked up:

Here it is in the truck:

I'll get some better pictures tomorrow in the light. I still need to take the height out of the down bars too. Obviously, it still won't be done yet, but now I can take it some where and there isn't much thinking for them to do. Weld these bars together how they are now and fill a couple bolt holes. I just need to find a shop that can do that now.

Ok, so I worked a little more today and got the down bars chopped. I only took an inch out of those because the back of the cab slants toward the front ever so slightly.

As you can see the mounting brackets need a little massaging, but they are in roughly the right spot.

Here you can see just how slightly the bar sticks over the cab:

Oh and I got the windows tinted yesterday:

Now I just have to find a shop to weld this up for me.

I found a shop to weld up the light bar, so that should be done in about 2 weeks. Once that's done, I'll spray in the Raptor liner once we get some warm weather back. I haven't picked out my lights for the bar yet though. I know I want 2 forward facing lights and then a rear facing cargo lamp/reverse light.

I also just ordered up some factory fog lights and wiring.

If your going for square lights maybe look into some Delta Xenon ones. Ive used them in the past on a few different rigs and they are great products. I'm looking forward to seeing the roll bar in the Jeep man. Looks great so far!

RockMJ

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered some Depo replacement factory fog lights and I got an add on harness from another member. Here is a shot of the fogs:

Here is a shot of the factory switch:

I will be putting in two more (hopefully) for the roll bar lights and an additional reverse light, so the defroster switch will be gone shortly. Here is a shot of them installed in the truck:

I may still need to aim them some, but I'll have to wait until its dark. I also decided to go ahead and swap in my '97 transfer case shifter. I didn't get it until after the truck was back together after the swap. Here you can see the difference.

The newer shifter came out of a XJ with a 231, but I have a 242, so I had to swap the gate on it too. Here it is installed:

The roll bar will be welded up this week (supposedly), so hopefully pictures of it soon.

I got the roll bar welded this week. It has to go back for a couple touch ups, but I'm happy with the way it fits so far.

I had them move the light tabs out a bit and then add an additional one in the middle.

This will be for a Rigid Industries Dually Diffused LED light.

images.ashx?i=D2Diffused.jpg&partNo=RIG&w=450

I'm going to use it as a cargo/extra reverse light.

My gas tank has been giving me more problems recently. The last time I filled it up, I lost a couple gallons again. It all stems from the older sender/pump hole on the MJ tank. No matter what I've done I just can't get it to seal well. I wanted to be able to keep the hole accessible to gain access to the bolts for my Copperhead Fab adapter ring. Now I just decided to epoxy the bolts to the adapter ring so I don't have to worry about them spinning should I ever need to remove the fuel pump. I realized I never posted a picture of any of my gas tank stuff. The Copperhead Fab ring works, but its way over-priced for the quality.

Here you can see how poorly the ring fits together (and that is after some grinding). As soon as it cures, I'll be re-installing it and I'm going to epoxy the old filler hole shut. I've already epoxied and plugged the old line holes as well as the electrical plug hole. Hopefully I can get enough of the epoxy in there to really seal it off so I don't have to worry about it leaking any more. I'm tired of losing money on spilled gas and my truck smelling like gas all the time.

I second that on the copperhead ring, I ordered mine and about a month later it finally showed up, that didn't bother me until I had to line the rings up, I had to drill out every hole in both rings to eventually get it to line up correctly. Roll bar is looking good though