1990 Rebirth ('97 Conversion)

Did the console communicate properly with the ecm giving you economy info?

Everything seemed to be displaying correctly, now whether that is accurate information or not, I don't know, but the outside temperature seemed pretty accurate and the distance to empty was believable given that the XJ had a bigger tank that the MJ. I'll just have to do a little driving with it to see how accurate it really is. Thanks for your help Mike!

I finished the console today.

You'll notice that I've got the keyless entry board in the garage door opener spot. I still need the cover. Also, there is a gap between the console and the headliner. The headliner curves while the console does not. I'll have to do a little work to make it match (I may just end up using some velcro strips). I did a write up for everything here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32556

Very nice sorry for calling it gold thought maybe it was that inca gold color used on the rubicons. Very nice and clean would make a good daily driver. I just picked up a super clean 1990 sb still looking to see what direction I'm go in.

Very nice sorry for calling it gold thought maybe it was that inca gold color used on the rubicons. Very nice and clean would make a good daily driver. I just picked up a super clean 1990 sb still looking to see what direction I'm go in.

That Inca Gold color would probably look pretty sharp on the MJ. My advice is to definately figure out where you want the final project to end up and then plan from there. I wasted some money doing several things twice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I like it, I am so leary about using dye. I would have to see it for myself to be a believer.

Me and a friend of mine did his new dash cover and it turned out GREAT! However make sure you get the right color. He didn't which made it a big off, but it's held up great for the past week.

Brandon

Yesterday I moved the spare and carrier from the '88 to the '90 because I had a nail in one of my tires. It wasn't flat, but I didn't want to get caught without a spare. I also was able to piece together a matching tool set for the inside of the cab (jack, lug wrench, folding crank handle and jack strap). Since I had the day off and I had the road hazard warranty on my tires, I went ahead and took it to the tire shop to fix. Its a good thing I paid for the road hazard warranty because they couldn't repair the nail hole in the sidewall. The tire only had 5000 miles on it and it had to be replaced. $31 instead of $185.

Today was a good day. I accepted a full time position and I start next Monday. The good news is that it pays more than what I was making at my old position. The bad news is that its a couple counties over, so I'll have to stay with family until I can sell my house. I still won't be able to do anything much with the truck because I have to make up for 4 months of no full time job, but at least now I don't have to sell the '88. Hopefully I will get to do some small stuff here and there. Updates as soon as they come.

I have plans to do the same to my comanche, just out of curiosity how much do you have in the swap? paint job?

The swap really didn't cost me much because I was able to sell a lot of what I didn't use and my donor didn't cost much. The paint job was pretty cheap for what it was at $1500. The stuff that was expensive was my seats, tires, lift, wheels, etc.

My new job is in Charlotte, so I will be around a whole lot more; we should get together. Albemarle isn't that far away, but it definitely feels that way some times.

You're brother got me pumped for Rockingham on the 3rd; I was bummed to hear it was cancelled.

I have plans to do the same to my comanche, just out of curiosity how much do you have in the swap? paint job?

The swap really didn't cost me much because I was able to sell a lot of what I didn't use and my donor didn't cost much. The paint job was pretty cheap for what it was at $1500. The stuff that was expensive was my seats, tires, lift, wheels, etc.

Not bad at all for paint job, I've accumulated doors and fenders, wiring harness, motor and tranny, plus wheels. So all in all shouldn be too bad. My only prob is i need new rockers welded in and have rust on my bed, have tried to find another bed but there's hardly anything out there any better than what i've got

Well, you're right. I could paint it any color and it would look better than it does now. From the day I bought the truck, I knew I would never be truly happy with it until I painted it. I narrowed it down to the two colors and after showing a bunch of people, I was surprised to see that most leaned toward the rescue green (which is what I was leaning toward too). I'm sure the blue would look fantastic and I'd probably love it, but a part of me would always regret not painting it rescue green. So, unless something changes between now and when I drop it off, that's what its going to be.

I'll probably get it back looking something like this (with a new windshield and '97 rubber molding):

And then I will probably add the clear or smoked markers, maybe powder coat the wheels and black out the hood. I've got two grills and headlight bucket sets. I'll paint one set and leave the other black so I can swap them out whenever.

Is there a program you use to "paint" your truck on the computer? Would be great to be able to do so i can narrow down a few colors ha

That was done in Photoshop. I put a solid color layer on top of the truck, lowered the opacity and then used a layer mask to get rid of the areas where I didn't want color. I think its easier to change the color (like red to blue) than it is to add color (black to green). Wasn't a professional attempt by far, but it gave me an idea of what it would look like when it was done.