1990 Rebirth ('97 Conversion)

Ok, so are you ready for it? Here is is:

Now, I know what you're thinking. "He swapped all the old stuff on it, wussed out and painted it white." But you're wrong! Please say hello to Comanche #2. Its a 1988 Pioneer Olympic edition. 4.0, 5 speed, 4wd. I got it from another Jeep lover across the state and I'm picking up where he left off. I'm not sure sure what the final plans for this truck is, but I know my dad has his eye on it, so we'll see. I'll start another build thread and put some more pictures up.

And if you stick around, there will be some other pictures in the this thread a little later tonight (Hint: they are a little more relevant to this thread).

Those pictures were at the paint shop, so I don't know where the Honda stuff came from.

Here's a tease:

I started putting it back together, but the rain has temporarily stopped me. I found out that after working on my truck, the painter was inspired to buy a Comanche of his own. He fixes and sells wrecked Jeeps, so it will be his next project. I'll put up some more complete pictures either later today or tomorrow.

Here a couple after I got it back together at sunset in the rain:

Those are a little grainy, so I'll get some better ones tomorrow. I still have a couple pieces I need to hit with a coat of krylon fusion before I put back on the truck, but this is it mostly done. I still have to put all my decals on as well and my new rear bumper isn't in yet. I'm having a new windshield put in this week as well.

will you be putting the roll bar back in?

I think I will. It needs some modification before it does. Right now its a little too wide and a little too tall and it needs some new mounting plates.

I got a new windshield this morning with the newer '97 molding. I can't put the cowl (or the wipers) on for a day, so I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

I got the new windshield with the new molding in yesterday. I put the cowl and the wipers back on today.

I also installed the Jeep letters on the tailgate.

I had a bubble or two come up in the vinyl, so I'm hoping they'll go away after sitting in the sun a couple days. I still have the Comanche stickers to put on the doors and I have several MJ stickers that I'm not sure what I'm going to do with yet.

Did you apply the regular or the reflective sticker on the tailgate?

I put on the reflective ones. I haven't seen them at night yet, but they look completely black during the day. It might make flash photography a little more interesting though.

Interested in seeing it at night with the flash. I will be repainting my tailgate next weekend and have already ordered the reflective stickers. The black does look good with the rescue green by the way. Good choice.

Looks cleaner than a new JK right off the line! :cheers: I really like the color choice! works insanely well with the rim/tire combo!

I'd rather have it than a JK. :bowdown:

My switch panel is going nuts in my truck. It randomly works and you can hear it firing the door locks over and over just driving down the road. My passenger window will go down, but the driver side won't the door locks sometimes work. I've got a 4 door panel on there now, but would like the 2 door switches and cover if I can find them. Not being able to put the windows down wouldn't be so bad if my belt didn't scream every time I turn the AC on. I have no idea how much to tighten the tensioner bolt down.

Ok, so I got the belt to stop squeaking, yay. I have a loud clunking/popping sound in the front suspension. I only hear it when weight shifts from one side of the jeep to the other, so I'm thinking its the track bar, but I haven't had a good chance to look at and diagnose yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up swapping my chrome bumper with $500MJ. Brent restored it and it turned out great.

I still have several small things left to do on the outside. The paint on the doors is going to be buffed before I put the Comanche decals on. The interior has some work to do to (don't look at my drooping headliner).

I've got several other small things to do that will be put on hold for now like the bedliner. I can't do anything that isn't free right now, because I lost my job this week. Unfortunately, that means I can't register the '88 either since that's just an expense that isn't necessary. I've had a couple people express interest in buying the '88, but I'll probably end up selling the Mustang instead since it can make up for a lot more mortgage payments. I will still be posting updates, just probably not as frequently as before.