1990 Rebirth ('97 Conversion)

Well, you're right. I could paint it any color and it would look better than it does now. From the day I bought the truck, I knew I would never be truly happy with it until I painted it. I narrowed it down to the two colors and after showing a bunch of people, I was surprised to see that most leaned toward the rescue green (which is what I was leaning toward too). I'm sure the blue would look fantastic and I'd probably love it, but a part of me would always regret not painting it rescue green. So, unless something changes between now and when I drop it off, that's what its going to be.

I'll probably get it back looking something like this (with a new windshield and '97 rubber molding):

And then I will probably add the clear or smoked markers, maybe powder coat the wheels and black out the hood. I've got two grills and headlight bucket sets. I'll paint one set and leave the other black so I can swap them out whenever.

I like the added black in the 2nd pic also. See if you would like the drip rail black also. I thnk it adds a lot, for so little.

Buck.

Yeah, the drips rails are one thing I haven't decide on yet. I may leave them chrome for now. How do they come off? Do they just pull off? I need to remove them for paint.

I made some progress today in prep for paint. First, here is one last look at it complete in black (Dexter wanted in the shot):

I test fit the new bumper. My concern was that the bumper brackets might be off since the original bumper was bent, but it seems to fit fine. I will probably try to strip the remaining paint from my black end caps and use those instead of the gray Laredo caps. I'd really like to have a black bumper, but its either banged up twisted black bumper, or NOS chrome Laredo bumper. There is no way I'm going to paint a NOS chrome bumper.

I also started taking the decals off. When the PO replaced the tailgate, they just painted over the vinyl Jeep letters, so when I removed them, you can see the original color underneath.

Not pictured, I got the Cherokee and Sport stickers off. I removed the chrome drip rails and got all the bed bolts broken free. Tomorrow, I'm going to pick up the new passenger fender and remove the flares and front bumper. The tail lights, cab vents, header, mirrors and moldings will come off closer to when I take it in. Any suggestions on how to make the tail pipe look better?

Jusy a suggestion, but I was thinking about tucking mine as far uo as I could ge the just have it turn down behind the rear bumper. I don't care for it turning out behind the tire or pointing straight out under the bumper. Just hiding it I guess.

Mike

Jusy a suggestion, but I was thinking about tucking mine as far uo as I could ge the just have it turn down behind the rear bumper. I don't care for it turning out behind the tire or pointing straight out under the bumper. Just hiding it I guess.

Mike

Wow, I didnt think my spelling sucked that badly. Sorry, I was typing that on my phone, in a movie theater, right when Thor was starting!

Mike

Body color tailgate handle or black? I might just get them to paint it body color and if I don't like it, I can paint it black. I've got a lot of deconstruction done. I still need to pull the door mirrors and moldings, but I'll do that the night before I take it in just in case it rains some more.

Well, I guess it depends on when he takes it. He told me a week ago it would be the middle or end of this week. If I haven't heard from him by lunch tomorrow, I'll call him. He originally told me it would take him about a week. We'll see. I hope he doesn't mind me coming by and taking progress pictures. I don't want to bother him or make it seem like I'm checking up on him, but I want the pictures for posterity.

I placed my order for the Jeep stickers on the back and the Comanche stickers on the side. I ordered the reflective black for the back, but Spencer is giving me the option of having the reflective black on the side too. I can't decide if that would look good or not. Now I'm starting to think silver stickers might be better on the Rescue Green. Decisions, decisions. Flat black, reflective black or silver?

I sent Spencer back an email saying that I wasn't sure and he is sending me both just to help me out. How awesome is that? Buy stickers from Spencer (whether you need them or not www.jeepsticker.com). What a nice guy.

I just got off the phone with the painter and got some bad news. He pulled his shoulder last weekend and its put him behind, so it will be next week sometime before he can take my truck. Oh well, that's life. The truck has been black for the last 21 years; it can stay black for another week.

• 3 weeks later...

I had hoped that the truck would be painted by now, but I just dropped it off today. He said they were still covered up, but they would squeeze it in. Hopefully it won't take too long.

In the meantime, I've got a couple things to take care of. A bumper solution is in the works, I need to order a new speedometer gear and I'm trying to decide between clear or smoked turn signals. Opinions?

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped by the paint shop at lunch today. The body work on the truck is pretty much done. He'll be spraying the color on Saturday morning, so I can pick it up on Monday. I've asked for Tuesday and Wednesday off, so hopefully the weather will cooperate and I'll have a finished project to show you guys then. I've still got one surprise up my sleeve, but I can't share yet. Here are couple shots of the truck and a test spray on the front bumper.