1990 Rebirth ('97 Conversion)

I have doors! This is the first my Jeep has been out of the garage since I painted the engine bay and before that since I started tearing it apart.

I found out that the Certi-Fit fender on the passenger side is a Certi-Doesn't Fit, so I've got the banged up fender on their now, but I'll need to swap it out. The window switch on the passenger side doesn't work at all and the passenger door lock switch only works one direction (lock or unlock, can't remember). But the windows and locks do work; the keyless entry works too. I will be pulling the molding off of the doors at some point. I picked up a Flowmaster Super 40 today, so that will go on when I get the exhaust fixed. I need to bleed the brakes and put a seat in and I think I can drive it (I'm hoping everything works). I still have a ton of little things left to do, but I'm glad I've made it this far.

Here is a tip for anyone swapping the newer XJ doors: Grab the buttons that turn the interior lights off. Unless they can be adjusted or something, the XJ ones are longer. I have the original Comanche one on the driver side and the door doesn't compress it enough to make the light go out.

Well......... I had my inaugural run. Good news and bad news. The good news is that pretty much everything seemed to work just as it should. I didn't have but a small splash of gas in the tank, so I took it up to the corner to fill it up because I wanted to see if the gas gauge works. The bad news is that the o-ring on the old pump location must not have been seated correctly because after I filled up, gas began to pour out all over the ground. I think I may have lost 8-10 gallons (and the gas gauge still reads full). So I spent my Friday night at the gas station pushing around kitty litter cleaning up gas.

It should be an easy fix (hopefully), so at least something isn't broken. I found out the repair on my electric fan didn't hold, so I really just need to find another one. My upgraded harness came yesterday for my new housings and H4 bulbs that will be here tomorrow. If they get here before the rain does (not likely), I'm hoping to install them tomorrow. I also found out that my hood release cable grommet tore, so I had a small puddle in the floor board from the last bit of rain. The exhaust is deafening without the cat or muffler; I should be able to get it to the exhaust shop sometime next week. Unless something just goes completely wrong, I think I should have it all back together by next weekend.

:clapping:

Bet it felt good to be behind the wheel again.

It was actually pretty strange. I've seen this dash in and out of the truck a million times in the last 6 or 7 months, but it looked completely different sitting in front of it for the first time.

I took the old sender/pump cap back off (and lost several more gallons of gas in the process) and then reinstalled it. I have no idea if its going to seal this time or not. Maybe I have the order wrong. I installed it this way: tank - o-ring - cap - lock ring. Is this right? I don't want to have to put several more gallons of gas in to find out if its leaking.

I got my autopal housings in pretty early this morning so I got a chance to install them. With eAutoWorks harness, they were really easy to install. When I ordered my housings, there was an option to pick a different color bulb at no cost. I wanted the white color over the blue, but apparently the blue come pre-installed, so I got two extra bulbs in the box for free.

Just as I was finishing up it started raining, so hopefully my new hood release grommet works and I won't have a puddle in my floor board. If everything works out, the exhaust should be fixed Monday and then I can have it inspected Tuesday. Then I can start cleaning up the interior and put it back together. I can't wait to put some miles on this thing.

I took the old sender/pump cap back off (and lost several more gallons of gas in the process) and then reinstalled it. I have no idea if its going to seal this time or not. Maybe I have the order wrong. I installed it this way: tank - o-ring - cap - lock ring. Is this right? I don't want to have to put several more gallons of gas in to find out if its leaking.

Yeah that's right. You leaving the tank in or dropping it? Some people swear they've replaced countless senders with the tank attached and never had any problems. I've never chanced it and dropped the tank every time. That way you can be 100% sure it is sealed.

Congrats on getting the truck out. Truly jealous.

I've been running without a muffler for a couple weeks now. It sounded alright the first day and now it's driving me insane.

I dropped the truck off at the shop today to get the exhaust and e-brake fixed along with an inspection. They told me it would be ready today, but no of course it wasn't. Here is a picture of the new headlights.

Quick question. You can see on the passenger side I have a gray pigtail hanging down. I have no idea what it's for. It wasn't connected to anything when I got it. It's a weatherproof connector, but I have no idea. I thought it might be for fog lights, but my cherokee didn't come equipped with them and there isn't another plug on the driver side. Any ideas?

Does the gray pigtail reach the bottom of the battery tray? I seem to recall a random wire/sensor going to the bottom of the battery tray, through the inner fender well.

It probably does, but I'll already got that plugged in (whatever it is). Someone on Jeep Forums mentioned it could be for the temperature sensor for the over head console (that I don't have).

Got the truck back from the shop today. The exhaust is done and they adjusted my rear brakes. When I got home I adjusted the parking brake so that works now. They also inspected it for me while it was there, so tomorrow I will update my registration and it will officially be road legal again.

I got the registration updated today, but I also threw 3 codes (CEL). P1694, P1698 and P0700 which all seem to be transmission related like there is a bad connection or something. I've done some searching and it seems like most have some other symptoms like the truck won't start, runs bad, gauges act funny, etc., but I can't seem to tell that anything is wrong other than the light on the dash.

I got the registration updated today, but I also threw 3 codes (CEL). P1694, P1698 and P0700 which all seem to be transmission related like there is a bad connection or something. I've done some searching and it seems like most have some other symptoms like the truck won't start, runs bad, gauges act funny, etc., but I can't seem to tell that anything is wrong other than the light on the dash.

Do they come back right away after you clear them. If so it's likely a bad connection or wiring.

I had them cleared at the store and have driven it about 5 miles since. No light back on yet. Its run for a while (ran, but didn't move) and I hadn't had any lights before. I wonder if the shop bumped something while they were working on the exhaust...? Course, its possible that the transmission controller plug could have come loose a little behind the dash while I've been working on the interior.

I'm not used to automatics; what is a typical shift rpm for the AW4? I feel like it revs a little high before it shifts, but I'm used to shifting myself pretty low, so it could just be me.

I've had several people ask me about the wiring for my tail lights, so I thought I'd post it in here in case anyone ever looks.

I hope this makes sense. I wired it so only the top light would work as the general light. The middle would be the turn signals only and the bottom would obviously be the reverse. There will be a couple wires on the top two pigtails to the Comanche lights that you won't use in this arrangement.

Driver Side:

General Lights/Brake Lights (Top):

Blue -> Solid Brown

White w/ Black -> White w/ Orange

Turn Signals (Middle):

Blue -> Green w/ Red

Reverse (Bottom):

Black w/ White -> Black w/ Green

Passenger Side:

Lights/Brakes (Top): I also wired the license plates lights in here too.

Blue -> Brown

Brown -> White w/ Orange

Turn Signals (Middle):

Blue -> Green w/ Red

Reverse (Bottom):

Brown w/ White -> Brown w/ Green

Obviously your grounds would all be the same. I hope this helps.

I got the interior back together today. I'll post some pictures before the end of the weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

I sold my TJ today, so now I have paint funds. I'll start shopping around to see who will give me a good deal. Opinions on paint color? I'm still leaning heavily toward Rescue Green or something like Viper GTS blue.

Well a local connection turned out pretty good. I'll be sending the Jeep off for paint here real soon. This past Saturday he told me 2 weeks. It won't be a $5k paint job because at the end of the day, its still an old truck. However, I will be having the dents removed and body work done. The doors jams and the bottom side of the hood will be painted. The engine bay itself will stay black (I painted that before dropping in the motor) and the inside of the bed will not be painted either. I'll be doing a DIY spray in bed liner. This weekend I'll start pulling parts to save some money like the flares, bumpers, mirrors, etc. So when he's ready I can just run it over there ready for the body work. I'll take some final black pictures this weekend.