1990 Rebirth ('97 Conversion)

• 4 weeks later...
What brand/size of wheels did you end up buying?

They are Discount Tire's Cragar knock-off brand called Unique (I think). They're 15x8. I can't remember the back spacing though. They were cheap and I couldn't decide on an alloy wheel I liked, so they'll do in the mean time.

The floor patching is done. I'll have pictures tomorrow. I scored some 2 door XJ buckets at the pull a part, so now I have an extra set of seats. Also got the upgraded door panels with the hockey stick handles. I already had a back panel with red carpet, but found a gray one, so that's one less thing I have to fix. I've got a couple other odds and ends so the interior should be coming back together pretty quickly. I need to order my locks and carpet, but everything else is waiting in the garage.

Thanks, I thought they looked like Uniques.....been thinking about getting a set of 17x8s from Discount. They've got the correct back spacing..... I checked out the Unique website. Lot more choice of tires in 16 or 17 inch if you're just running on the street. I assume you're happy with them so far. Your project is looking real nice, by the way.

The floor is finally done. Sorry, for the quality. It was about to storm on me. I've primed since these pictures and I'm hoping to get the seam sealer on it tonight. Once that dries, I'll paint and start working on my sound deadening. My carpet has been ordered and will be here soon.

Made some more progress today. Got the seam sealer on:

And then painted (added a little undercoating on the driver side too)

Driver side:

Passenger side:

I'm getting ready to go on vacation, so I probably won't have any more updates till next week, but now that the floor is done, progress will be made pretty quickly. I know floor patching isn't that exciting, but any progress to me is awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoah... Just read through your project. Now I'm back to debating between dark blue or black... I'm diggin those black rims with white lettering too. They work well with the all black! Great build man! Seeing all of these projects gets me pumped to start my build up! So many great ideas and thoughts, that aslo help me change/modify my own plans and thoughts. Keep us posted on that interior too mate! Can't wait to see the end result of all your labor! :cheers:

EXCELLENT!! I like it, the truck looks great!!

I too have the clear corner lights. They look good!

I looked hard at the Goodyear Duratrac's. In the 16" I wanted the load range "E" turned me away. How do you like them?

CW

So far I like them, but I've only put about 400 miles or so on them. I drove to TN to get my roll bar and then I pulled the transmission to finish up the swap. Still working on that. I've got a pilot bushing that doesn't want to budge. The tires were fairly quiet and seemed to perform pretty good in wet conditions. I'm anxious to get it back on the road.

I've got the interior mostly back together. There are still a lot of little things left to do (plugs, covers, couple bolts here and there, dome lights, etc.). I'm not putting the console back in until I get the transmission and transfer case back in. I haven't done anything to clean up the rear panel yet cause I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it carpet and clean it, or recover it. The window cranks need to be cleaned and re-dyed. The door panels still look a little dingy in the pictures (I cleaned and dyed them though), so I'm not sure if that's just the light or not. I found a good color dye for the dash that I used on my console (dark gray), but I really don't feel like taking the dash apart right now, so that might be down the road some time. I need to clean up my new seats and swap those over, so that's my goal for this week. I've got fog lights to install and I want to get started on my subwoofer enclosure, but for now, here's my progress:

I got the passenger seat pretty much done and in the truck, but now I want to have it recovered. The driver seat is a little torn, so it will need to be repaired or recovered anyway. Any suggestions on fabric or colors? Here's a shot of the seat and one of the subs from my car that I'd like to squeeze in if at all possible. You can also see my newly dyed console just sitting loose.

I also got my fog lights mocked up. I still need to wire them, but I got a stock fog light switch panel with the fog and defrost from an XJ. I'll probably use the defrost for spots on the roll bar eventually. My helper, Dexter, in the corner is ready for me to finish this truck so I can spend more play time with him.

Everything is assembled, now I'm just dealing with the frustration that is both drive shafts. I had the front one rebuilt ($148 and that was just for the center bearing and assembly; I had already purchased the U-joints). When I went to install it, I found that the grease fittings on the U-joints kept it from rotating properly, so I have to replace those. I wanted to have my 2wd rear drive shaft cut down, but apparently its some strange tube within a tube design that the 4wd shop here in town didn't want to touch. He had another shaft he said that he would cut down and re-weld for $135, but he wasn't going to balance it. My other option was to have a drive shaft shop a couple towns over do it, but then it would be $135+ the cost of the used drive shaft. For $189, I got a brand new drive shaft from Tom Woods with U-joints, so it will be here either Wednesday or Thursday. I'm hoping to put the front shaft in today and crank the truck up for the first time in a couple months just to see if everything works.

hey, to bad i didn't see this sooner,

did a 4x4 coversion on mine as well, got my front shaft from the cherokee i used for parts and the rear shaft was like yours( shaft inside of the shaft) got a rear from (think it was) 93 gmc jimmy, think the length was around 43 inches and had to get a conversion joint to go from gm to jeep at the diff..

anyway,nice work sofar..

Here is the transfer case all painted and in the truck (need to paint the slip yoke):

And here is transmission:

I've gotten it kinda dirty messing with it, so I'll need to clean it up and take some better pictures later. Don't you just love the blue RTV around the oil pan plug the PO used?

The front drive shaft is in now, but I have a leak with one of the fittings on the slave line, so I have to replace that tomorrow with a different fitting and bleed the slave again.

What did you line the floors and the walls with? Have you noticed a significant reduction in noise?

I don't have very many original ideas tied up in this truck, just borrowed from others. The floor is peel and seal roof flashing. The sides and roof is a reflective insulation (Reflectix I think is the brand name). As to the noise insulation properties, I can't say. I haven't been able to drive it yet. Today I'm going to try and finish fixing the slave line and my new rear drive shaft should be here by the middle of the week, so hopefully it will be mobile some time this week.

I'll post up comments once I can drive it, but I won't really have anything to compare to. The only driving I've done in this Jeep is when I brought it home and I made a 350 mile trip with virtually no interior (and still a couple holes in the floor), so any insulation will make it quieter than I'm used to hearing.

On a plus note, I got my new fog lights wired and was able to use a factory switch. I also pulled several more switches from the pull a part to use for future lighting (roll bar, back-up, more?).

I don't know how to embed videos, but here's a link:

This is the first time its moved under its own power since I put in the new transmission and transfer case. I probably wouldn't have posted a video, but it just sounds cool without an exhaust right now. I couldn't actually drive it because I have no rear drive shaft; the slip yoke is just stuffed into the back of the transfer case. I put a new fitting on our custom slave line and that seemed to fix the leak. We bleed the line and it seemed to be ok, but I really couldn't tell without really driving it.

The 4wd swap is a success!!! I drove it to work today and I'm thrilled. The transfer case output seal (and maybe bushing) needs replacing and for some reason my exhaust is rattling against the transmission cross member, but otherwise everything works great.

I'm having my seats recovered and I've very excited about those. Pictures coming in about 2 weeks.

The 4wd swap is a success!!! I drove it to work today and I'm thrilled. The transfer case output seal (and maybe bushing) needs replacing and for some reason my exhaust is rattling against the transmission cross member, but otherwise everything works great.

I'm having my seats recovered and I've very excited about those. Pictures coming in about 2 weeks.

lol i called that the "death rattle" untill i tied mine off in 4 different points,

my passengers thought my truck was going to explode!

i just chuckled as they freaked out

I"m really liking the truck, I like the clear turn signals and markers. The lift sits it at a good height. Are you planning on offroading it? Or was the lift just for the "cool factor" :brows: