Optima battery

I have a red top Optima in my Bronco, and in my opinion I would not waste my money. Mine (2 years old) will not hold a charge for more than 2 or 3 days. The battery that I use in my Comanche, that turned over the starter until the battery ran down, is just a yellow top AutoZone battery. After it sat for a week without being recharged, it cranked the Comanche with no problem.

I'm sure that some people love their Optima battery, but for twice the price I would not buy another one, and I am replacing mine with a Yellow top AutoZone.

-Tom

I have had three, two Red tops and one Yellow. My first red is now approaching 7 years old and still its going strong, both the other two are just about four years and again, no problems. My Buddie (Juan) had had one going on TEN YEARS now!! The wife has "tested" them and its never left here stranded.

Worth it, to me yes.

CW

I've never actually bought a new battery, but the Interstate in my 2.5 was used and unknown condition when I threw it in my first XJ almost 6 years ago, and I've never seen any problems with it.

Nothing against Optima, I've heard really good things, but if I were to buy a new one I'd probably go with an Interstate. :dunno:

Got a Optima for the friend's boat. Worked well for about two months until Katrina. Evidently deep, long term submersal just was not one of the tests they do at the factory :no:

I used to get the Diehards until one left me in the dark at 0330 one morning. Now, I just get the cheapos at Wally world. They last reasonable long, and the 'folks in blue' honor the warrenty very well! :brows:

I have had the same $50.00 walmart battery in my MJ for 5 years now no problems ever, infact my truck was broke down for the whole winter and first part of the spring....When I put the new harness in she fired right up like nothing happened, (well after I found the toasted fusable link that is) :doh:

I don't think I would spend the money on an optima :nuts:

I have a red top. An old one. I bought it a couple years ago (maybe 4 or 5), and it was slightly used (know a dealer, he gets 'returned' batteries that are fine). I left it in my MJ for over a YEAR without having started it or driven it, took it out and threw it in the back of my dodge and took it to PG. Two months later I stuck it in my GMC and fired it right up.

Before then I used it to drive the truck on the starter, lots... And some other bad things. It always worked good. Cold or hot. And it doesn't cause nasty corrosion.

That said, I've heard there might be some issues with some of the recent ones. There has been a lot more negative reviews in the last few years than I'd ever heard before.

So, as to if I'd buy a new one now... I don't know. I probably still would.

i've had several redtops.some last forever and others seemed that if they got run down they would not hold a charge.i used to friends with the local advance auto manager and he would let me have them for about $95 but he moved and now they want a ridiculous price for them and imo they're not worth it.

There is a 5 year no-questions warranty on the red tops. jamminz.gif Or at least there used to be. Yellow top was only a couple years. I run a redtop in my minivan and love it (technically it goes to the 88 MJ, but since that truck isn't exactly mobile at the moment...)

I have seen ALOT of the red tops brought back over the last couple of years, so I am going to say that they are not what they used to be, as far as being a great, reliable and worthwhile expenditure. Now, my orange top has finally died, but it was over 12 years old and I only gave $5 for it in a junkyard. I would buy one of those again, but NOT at the asking price they are now!!! $ 289 !!!!!! F that.

Just for you doubters/ BS callers.

As stated earlier, the read top ones are designed to deliver high amps on demand, like for starting a vehicle. Blue top are deep cycle marine batteries that can be run down without damage. Yellow top is a "best of both worlds" in between the two.

But the main thing about Optima batteries is that they are spill proof. They contain no free sulphuric acid, but rather a gel. You vehicle goes over and lands on it's roof, the battery will be fine, instead of draining out the acid (dangerous!), damaging the battery in the process. Since they are spill proof, they can be mounted in just about any position if there is no room in the rig to mount it right side up. You can hang it off the firewall upside down if you like. Some custom built rigs hang them sideways under the dash.

And their warranty terms are among the best out there.

The battery that I use in my Comanche, that turned over the starter until the battery ran down, is just a yellow top AutoZone battery. After it sat for a week without being recharged, it cranked the Comanche with no problem.-Tom

Optima batteries are fine if you plan on running them upside down. Otherwise they're a waste of $$ IMHO. I agree with Tom on the Autozone Gold Top Duralast battery. Mine's coming up on seven years now and still going strong. :D But if you ask the parts drone at Autozone for one they'll look it up and sell you the 58-DLG (Group 58) battery, because that what the 96 and below XJ/MJs used. It's specs are 610 cold cranking Amps.

BUT the newer 97 and up XJs used the 34-DLG (Group 34) battery. It's specs are 800 cold cranking Amps (1000 cranking Amps). The size difference is neglible, and the group 34 batteries fit just fine in our rigs w. no mods. And they are the same price, so it's a no-brainer.

So if you don't care for the Autozone battery for some reason, and like Interstate or Exide or some other brand, ask for the Group 34 battery 'cause it's beefier, fits fine, and it's the same $$. :cheers:

I think optimas are crap. Hate em.

They will be fine if you never run them down.

Run em down once or twice and they die. Run down a regular lead acid battery once or twice and it will be fine.

Optimas don't like being discharged. Optimas cost alot. They do not last longer than regular batteries.

Take good care of an optima(as in never let it discharge), and take equally good care of a regular lead acid battery and you will see the same service life. The difference is that the optima will cost over twice as much, can be mounted at any angle(which very few people actually need), and if the optima does get discharged its useable life will greatly decrease.

They will be fine if you never run them down.

Run em down once or twice and they die. Run down a regular lead acid battery once or twice and it will be fine.

Optimas don't like being discharged. Optimas cost alot. They do not last longer than regular batteries.

This is absolutely wrong--they outlast regular batteries by three times in most cases. Optimas are made to be run down and recharged many times. A regular battery will not take that kind of abuse. I have used optima batteries for many years, running them dead and recharging many times with no trouble. I recently replaced a Yellow Top that I have had for nearly 9 years...and it has been dead more times than I can remember. Like anything, there can be bad ones, but for the money, there is nothing better than a deep cycle battery...the Yellow Top in particular :thumbsup:

yellow top in my MJ.....bought it used 3 years ago, dead. Charged it, been fine since. Even crawled my way up onto a flatbed trailer with the starter, uphill and up ramps ('cause the trailer winch couldn't pull it up), with it when my clutch slave died last year.

YMMV.

Jeff

I had an Optima Blue top in my TJ that barely made it 3 years...would charge and then not hold it very long...messed with it for like 3 weeks and gave up.

won't buy another one most likely... I replaced with a Die Hard Platnium P4 which is made by Odyssey... Not had very long, but at least it holds a charge.

Wade

The battery that I use in my Comanche, that turned over the starter until the battery ran down, is just a yellow top AutoZone battery. After it sat for a week without being recharged, it cranked the Comanche with no problem.-Tom

Optima batteries are fine if you plan on running them upside down. Otherwise they're a waste of $$ IMHO. I agree with Tom on the Autozone Gold Top Duralast battery. Mine's coming up on seven years now and still going strong. :D But if you ask the parts drone at Autozone for one they'll look it up and sell you the 58-DLG (Group 58) battery, because that what the 96 and below XJ/MJs used. It's specs are 800 cold cranking Amps (1000 cranking Amps).

BUT the newer 97 and up XJs used the 34-DLG (Group 34) battery. It's specs are 800 cold cranking Amps (1000 cranking Amps). The size difference is neglible, and the group 34 batteries fit just fine in our rigs w. no mods. And they are the same price, so it's a no-brainer.

So if you don't care for the Autozone battery for some reason, and like Interstate or Exide or some other brand, ask for the Group 34 battery 'cause it's beefier, fits fine, and it's the same $$. :cheers:

X3 on this. :cheers:

Only difference I did was get the duel post version (34DT-DLG).

I had to tell them 98' XJ when I got one for the MJ, since they wanted veh info for the warrenty (and couldn't put it under the MJ, since it doesn't come up as fitting :shake: ).

I've had one in the XJ for a couple of years now, and just bought one for the MJ about 6 months ago:

AutoZone Dura-Last Gold 34DT-DLG

Duel Terminal

1000 cranking amps (800 cca)

Made in USA (atleast the two I have are)

Made by Johnson Controls

3 year free replacement (8 year total warrentee)

As stated earlier, the read top ones are designed to deliver high amps on demand, like for starting a vehicle. Blue top are deep cycle marine batteries that can be run down without damage. Yellow top is a "best of both worlds" in between the two.

I have it on very good authority that the blue and yellow are the same internally. But, the blue comes with the marine style posts, along with the regular posts.

And I would never run a spillable battery again... Because they spill. If I wasn't going to buy an optima, I'd buy that other gel cell (whatever it is, odyssey? Cross that bridge when I get there).

This thread is like asking what's the best tire or the best the best motor oil. :D As long as there are a hundred or so choices out there, everyone has their own opinion based on personal experience and needs. That's good and healthy and makes for interesting reading, but I ain't seen anything to change my opinion and I'm a hardhead. :cheers:

One of the things I used to do working for the various armed forces overseas was to design and upgrade their 48VDC backup power supply systems in communications stations. The COMSTA's upgrades were always from lead/acid batteries to gell cells mainly because of the personnel downsizing that was going on. The gell cells needed far less maintainence, emitted less hazardous gasses like hydrogen thus required less ventilation, lasted longer than lead/acid batteries during emergency power situations, were less problematic in earthquakes, and did have a longer overall lifespan so the extra cost was justified. But I just can't see anything to justify the extra cost of a gell cell battery in a vehicle as long as it remains upright. :yes:

won't buy another one most likely... I replaced with a Die Hard Platnium P4 which is made by Odyssey...

I have the same battery in my TJ. It has been in for just over a year, but did not hesitate starting my TJ during -14 degree morning or had any issue with a few hard pulls from the Superwinch EPI9.0. It also runs my Viair compressor with out the engine running perfectly. I purchased this battery to replace the factory 5 year old battery.

Optima was on my list, but was nixed because of many complaints from folks in the last few years. In reading archived postings from Jeep Forums, you can plainly see more and more complaints about the Optima batteries were reported within the last 3 years than the years prior.

I had an Optima Blue top in my TJ that barely made it 3 years...would charge and then not hold it very long...messed with it for like 3 weeks and gave up.

won't buy another one most likely... I replaced with a Die Hard Platnium P4 which is made by Odyssey... Not had very long, but at least it holds a charge.

Wade

The Blue Tops are not made to be in a vehicle, therefore they will not last. The Blue Top is a Marine battery, not intended to be on a constant charge from an alternator, as that actually cuts the life short. Red Top and Yellow Top are for verhicular use :thumbsup: .

I agree with Don, this is one of those subjective topics that can only end in the original poster having to sort throught the never ending opinions to arrive at his own. I will also agree that the average vehicle that does not have extra equipment on it like a winch, offroad lights, etc. will have a hard time justifying the cost other than the longer life. Average lead/acid battery life is 3 years here in Florida, regardless of which one you buy, so the gell cell is definitley worth it, as they will last at least 6-7 years--possibly more. :cheers:

I appreciate threads like this because the folks that like the optima can tell you why and the folks that don't can tell you as well.

I seem to get about 5 years out of my normal lead cranking batteries from walmart, I can't justify spending the $$$ for the optima.

Over the years I have used many different deep cycle batteries for my boats and they all seem to last 2-3 years before they lose their strength. The past few times i just get them from Walmart mainly because WM is convenient and if you are ever out of town and it is under warranty you can get assistance.