How would you handle a deadbeat seller?

Boilermaker

87mjdriver, I applaud you for handling this the way that you have. Very classy.

That being said, I thought I would add that I have had somewhat of a similar experience with young Mr. JeepcoMJ. I have bought a few items from him, and IIRC on each occassion the delivery of items already paid for was bordering on unreasonably slow to a point of wondering if I was ever going to see it. But, I know he works A LOT (including travel), and it can be difficult to veer from your daily routine and head to the UPS store/depot. For the record, I say that because I'm guilty of it, i.e. slow delivery (sorry aemsee!).

The reason I am posting this is not because I am trying to bash Pat, but because I see a potential pattern here that concerns me. First, the lack of communication during the delays, i.e. that the buyer had to initiate most, if not all, of the communication wondering what the status of delivery was. Second, but more importantly, that the blame was pawned off to UPS being the reason for delay. I too got the "UPS screwed it up" excuse at least twice. I figured there was a 50/50 chance it was either that or he just hadn't gotten around to sending it out yet. In the end I was ok with that because I got the item and at least on one occasion he refunded some of the money to make it right, which I respected him for doing the right thing.

I think when you are buying and selling items on a forum with not much more than a gentlemen's agreement, disputes, delays, and other problems are going to occur more often than not. But when 8 months have passed where the seller has long since had the cash in his pocket and the buyer still has nothing, including an explanation, something is seriously wrong.

:popcorn:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever happened to DHL? I used them a few times and was pretty impressed.

DHL is still around but only for international shipments. They are owned by the German post office IIRC. They tried to gain market share here by being the lowest price and basically lost their @$$. Well, DHL did and so did their contractors, a lot of whom ran shady AND shoddy operations. They shut down local shipping around the first of the year.

:offtopic:

Back to topic, which is deadbeat sellers. Boilermaker seems that he may be getting his situation resolved from an outside seller, but interestingly enough 87mjdriver has NOT had the same luck so far from one of our own very outspoken members, despite the fact that person had time this a.m. to post pics of their latest trip to the Badlands ($$) and bent front axle that will need to be replaced ($$). :shake:

Actually, I have not posted here because I really don't know what to say.

87MJdriver will get his money, when I have time to send it (tomorrow). up to this point, I have sent him two postal money orders, which have not been recieved. Frankly, I don't have a bank account tied to my paypal right now and I would much rather paypal it so I may tie it together first....I am out over $100 by sending him checks (because I lost the reciept for the first one and so could not prove being the sender of a check that was never cashed...I did get the money back for the second check, however).

Akula69 has also experienced this problem with me and shipping....I have sent him one interior, which got crushed at the shipping center on accident before it even left. I replaced what was crushed and dropped it off to be sent to the same destination but it never was. I have it now and will be shipping via fedex instead. He is more than welcome to a refund of half the cost if he would like.

as for the axle...total cost to replace is $0. I have an empty housing, and all the ball joints in this one were new 6000 miles ago when I built the truck, and I have a set of ujoints laying here from a build that never happened (years ago) as well as good (used) unit bearings. the gears can be reset for trade on parts or a few beers locally, so that will cost $0, and the steel and tube bender for the truss are things I already have.

The only thing that the damage will cost me is time, which I have very little of. It will probably sit for awhile before I tear it down for a complete rebuild on the truck for the simple fact that it needs a windshield and a paint job as well.

Yes, I am busy. I acknowledge that I suck at shipping things and that it takes a ridiculous amount of time to get them sent. As much excuse as I have, it's completely invalid in the eyes of the purchaser and I understand that as well. I'm happy to refund, but I'm not so happy to be out money because someone else (USPS) screwed up and either couldn't read my handwriting or can't comprehend recieving addresses.

I will make things right.

87mjdriver, please do me the favor of sending me your address and paypal address, as well as what I owe you via pm. I would like to send it via paypal, but (correct me if I'm wrong....I haven't done this in awhile) it will take several days to tie my bank account to paypal before I can send you the money through paypal.

-Pat

Maybe start calling his work place over and over send some letters to his work place stating what happened also. If his is this dishonest he may be stealing parts there to sell. don't be soft make his life h__L.

be careful doing that, it may violate some laws to do that...i'm not sure, but check before doing it. it'd hate to see you being out more than you already are over this loser.

Maybe start calling his work place over and over send some letters to his work place stating what happened also. If his is this dishonest he may be stealing parts there to sell. don't be soft make his life h__L.

be careful doing that, it may violate some laws to do that...i'm not sure, but check before doing it. it'd hate to see you being out more than you already are over this loser.

I agree. Stupid though it is in this particular case, the guy could report you on harrassment charges. :eek:

As far as i know, so far only DirtyComanche spoke to the deadbeat directly, and from what he told me the conversation was a polite one. Others have done some scouting and gathered info, but nothing that would be harassment.

That all said, the seat arrived yesterday...and the guy overcharged me for shipping by $30USD. No reclining mechanism or hardware of any kind. I did originally tell him that i could get those things if i had to, but i'd appreciate him sending them. Guess he didn't feel that bad about the "delay" in shipping or he would have made a little more than the minimum effort or refunded the extra shipping money he pocketed. I plan to test the seat tonight and take up the remaining issues with him. So my situation hasn't been totally resolved yet.

87mjdriver, i looks like your issue is making some progress toward a resolution. Please post when it has so that everyone knows that JeepcoMJ made good and nobody trolls any of his threads.

:D Glad to hear you finally got your seat , small victory but a victory all the same . I expect you'll never get a refund on the frieght dispute . Chalk it up to a life lesson and carry on . Don't forget to post pictures of your new seat installed jamminz.gif

I know, i'm lucky to have gotten what i have out of this, thanks to vaquaro, DC and a few others, so i'm going to hold my breath for much else. Unless the seat adjustments aren't working, all i'm going to do is post truthful feedback in the forums i've dealt with him in, and if i happen to see him post another for sale thread, link the feedback.

Seats in the truck...that's a long way off because my truck is completely disassembled at the moment. We did test fit a similar seat before the tear down, but the only pic i have right now is of the track itself. One of the changes i'm going to make is a using a thicker, wider strip of steel for attaching the seat brackets more securely to the track. The tracks themselves are power, 6-way with memory. Chrysler used the same basic track for several of its models from the mid 80s thru early 90s so replacement parts are easy to find.

Shockingly enough, the seat has issues. Lumbar inflates well but won't stay inflated, so there's probably a small hole in the airbag. I was probably going to reupholster the seat somewhere down the line to match the rest of the interior i'll figure out a way to replace it then. I've informed the seller and will give him a day or two to respond, not that he will. Thanks again to everyone who helped out, a mostly working seat is better than the nothing i was going to get two weeks ago.

Move on with your life.

Not sure if you were giving a constructive comment that came off the wrong way or you were just being a d*ck. If it was the latter please don't bother posting here again. I think its worth 5 more minutes of my life to leave feedback in the other forums so someone else doesn't get screwed over by this guy in the future.

I think he meant that $30 just isn't worth the hassle of trying to get $30 back from him. :thumbsup:

You’re such a peace-maker Pete :( – do you ever think about the spectators that enjoy watching all this drama unfold? :popcorn:

Ulcers seem to run in my family, so I'm thinking I could probably do without any undue drama. :D

87MJdriver will get his money, when I have time to send it (tomorrow). up to this point, I have sent him two postal money orders, which have not been recieved. Frankly, I don't have a bank account tied to my paypal right now and I would much rather paypal it so I may tie it together first....I am out over $100 by sending him checks (because I lost the reciept for the first one and so could not prove being the sender of a check that was never cashed...I did get the money back for the second check, however).

Akula69 has also experienced this problem with me and shipping....I have sent him one interior, which got crushed at the shipping center on accident before it even left. I replaced what was crushed and dropped it off to be sent to the same destination but it never was. I have it now and will be shipping via fedex instead. He is more than welcome to a refund of half the cost if he would like.

as for the axle...total cost to replace is $0. I have an empty housing, and all the ball joints in this one were new 6000 miles ago when I built the truck, and I have a set of ujoints laying here from a build that never happened (years ago) as well as good (used) unit bearings. the gears can be reset for trade on parts or a few beers locally, so that will cost $0, and the steel and tube bender for the truss are things I already have.

The only thing that the damage will cost me is time, which I have very little of. It will probably sit for awhile before I tear it down for a complete rebuild on the truck for the simple fact that it needs a windshield and a paint job as well.

Yes, I am busy. I acknowledge that I suck at shipping things and that it takes a ridiculous amount of time to get them sent. As much excuse as I have, it's completely invalid in the eyes of the purchaser and I understand that as well. I'm happy to refund, but I'm not so happy to be out money because someone else (USPS) screwed up and either couldn't read my handwriting or can't comprehend recieving addresses.

87mjdriver, please do me the favor of sending me your address and paypal address, as well as what I owe you via pm. I would like to send it via paypal, but (correct me if I'm wrong....I haven't done this in awhile) it will take several days to tie my bank account to paypal before I can send you the money through paypal.

-Pat

so, your saying that UPS failed to deliver the part, not once but twice. Then the same thing happened with a money order too? come on :shake: that is just a little far fetched. And I see why you don't want to lose money on the deal but why should the buyer lose money? you should refund their full amount and take up any losses withe UPS. After all, according to you, it was UPS that caused the problem which may create a loss for you, not the buyer.

-Pat

so, your saying that UPS failed to deliver the part, not once but twice. Then the same thing happened with a money order too? come on :shake: that is just a little far fetched. And I see why you don't want to lose money on the deal but why should the buyer lose money? you should refund their full amount and take up any losses withe UPS. After all, according to you, it was UPS that caused the problem which may create a loss for you, not the buyer.

:agree: Jim, thanks for stepping up and saying what a lot of us were probably thinking. So Pat, you write the address on the envelope for the money order. The buyer tells you he never gets it. Rare, but possible, and usually because of an error by the sender. You confirm the address again. You PRINT the address on the envelope and send another one. Then USPS messes up again?? :hmm: Like Jim said, the buyer should not be out a dime in this situation. Eight months to reconcile, which could be argued was only motivated by being called out publicly, is simply unacceptable. Your losses on this deal could be minimal compared to future lost sales (since you have acquire a lot of parts and do a lot of selling) if people don't think you are fair and prompt. For the record, Pat I don't believe you were trying to rip anybody off. But I do think maybe you took liberty with his money, then blamed the delivery and postal carriers until you had the funds to refund him, to which it seemed to be a low priority or it wouldn't have taken 8 months. I may have missed it earlier, but whatever happened to just sending him the part?

All I have to say about it at this point is that it will be taken care of within the next few days.

I will not be selling anything to any non-local comancheclub members in the future. the last thing sold non-local is a renix 5 speed wiring harness to LoTGoD.

I guess don't worry about dealing with my crap. I'm glad now that it's all out in the open. Now please don't bother me if you need parts in the future. Thanks.