How would you handle a deadbeat seller?

Boilermaker

About a month back bought a part from a guy on another forum who's parting an '80's dodge. The guy had been registered at that forum for a while, had over 700 posts. Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing most of us around here haven't done a few times. Paid thru paypal, he says he's ship it after the weekend. A couple days pass, no tracking number, so i send an email asking for one. He emails back a couple days after that about some story about the holiday (Canada day) so it went out later that he expected. But he told me it was shipped and he'd email me the tracking number when he got home from work that evening. Of course that's the last i hear from him. He won't respond to emails, pm's or posts to his own threads.

Its been over three weeks since he said he shipped it, not that i expected anything to show up but it would have by now if something was sent. I filed a paypal claim a week ago, he hasn't responded to paypal at all. I find that he started a similar for sale thread on different forum, and a guy in that thread posted about how this seller had ripped him in an earlier transaction (wish i had seen that a month ago). So i register on that forum and contact the guy. He tells me a similar story, forwards me his paypal claim info which i included as part of my claim.

I have this guy's home address (or maybe his parents, not totally sure), the phone number for that address, his birth date and multiple email addresses he's used. I know where he works (ironically he works at a chrysler dealership in the parts department). I even found pictures of the guy...i know he's getting my emails; sent a link to his picture in one of my emails to him and the picture disappeared within hours. i don't expect to get anything back from paypal, the last guy didn't even tho he "won" his claim. At best paypal will suspend his account, maybe make it tough for him to get one for a little while, but he'll be back. I'll contact the mods at each board, but somehow i don't think this seller would care if he was banned, if they even did that much.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do next...is there anything else that can be done?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How far away is he?

Do you know anyone in the area that owes you a favour?

Do you want to destroy his life?

Is he registered on Pirate4x4?

How much money is in question?

Vancouver, BC....and unfortunately i don't know anyone out that way. I'm out $180. Not sure about destroying his life, i must be getting soft. Teaching the brat a life lesson would be nice.

Pirate and that Wenzel kid was one of the first things to cross my mind when i realized i was being shafted.

edit...

Beat him with a stick?

i'd happily provide the stick.

Maybe start calling his work place over and over send some letters to his work place stating what happened also. If his is this dishonest he may be stealing parts there to sell. don't be soft make his life h__L.

Maybe start calling his work place over and over send some letters to his work place stating what happened also. If his is this dishonest he may be stealing parts there to sell. don't be soft make his life h__L.

Its an option. I don't want to cross the line, but i would love to put enough pressure on this guy that he owns up publicly and refunds me the money.

Oh, do you pay your paypal account via credit card? If you do, you can normally get visa/mastercard to put pressure on paypal to return your money. IE, phone the credit card company and say it wound up not being a legit payment.

If you keep money in the paypal account or take it directly from your bank account, I imagine you're screwed for the money.

If you can post a personal in his hometown newspaper. Our company only hired or maintained employment for good members of the community and that kind of thing would cause him some grief at work. Where I worked anyways.

Oh, do you pay your paypal account via credit card? If you do, you can normally get visa/mastercard to put pressure on paypal to return your money. IE, phone the credit card company and say it wound up not being a legit payment.

If you keep money in the paypal account or take it directly from your bank account, I imagine you're screwed for the money.

He is right. I don't know the policy specifically regarding paypay, If you paid via credit card, contact your credit card company immediately and you can dispute it. The credit card company will pull the funds. Always pay with a credit card.

I bought some reconditioned Comanche rims from a company in Michigan. I think they purchased them from several vendors throughout the country. The finish wasnt the same on all the wheels and the casting was slightly different on some of them. I called their customer service department and explained i wanted matching rims. They said their policy was returns only if they were faulty. Since there was nothing wrong with the rims, there was nothing they could do. The customer service person was an absolute mix between a donkey and a horse (and I am sure she was fat too). I withdrew payment through my credit card company and received some UPS return labels shortly thereafter.

What was really funny about it was I told her I wanted them to match and if they didnt match, I was going to withdrawl payment with my credit card company. She said go ahead and she would show them proof that she delivered the product. In other words, she had no idea the credit card companies did this.

We flew to Hawaii last summer and Aloha Airlines went bankrupt and stranded us in Hawaii. Aloha wouldnt refund our money. Since we purchased our ailine tickets via credit card and not through a travel agent, we pulled the funds and got our money back.

I think you have a deadline or something so you better get to it and always use a credit card.

PayPal usually takes a fairly long time to get the money back to you. I have had to file two claims over the last 7 years of using them. One time it took about 3 months, the other took nearly 6 months :ack:

Thanks guys, the suggestion about the credit card was a good one. Unfortunately paypal drew this from my bank account. This was my first transaction since my paypal account was upgraded from basic (reached their lifetime limit and had to attach a bank account) and didn't realize until now that my bank account is now my default method of payment. I'm going to have to call paypal and find out how to change it back to my credit card going forward no clear way to change it in my online profile.

I'm not a member at Pirate 4x4, so as much as i want someone to do what they did to that Wenzel guy at times, Pirate isn't an option for me.

Just got off the phone with the bank, there is probably nothing they can do. The person i spoke to at the bank is someone our family has worked with for years (not some random rep at their 800 number). She's going to look into it some, but told me not to get my hopes up.

It was a good idea tho, thanks DC.

Was it money you took directly out of your bank account, or was it already sitting in your paypal account from money you've received? If it didn't come straight from the bank then there really won't be anything they can do.

Directly out of my bank account. The entire 180 is listed under online transfers in a single transaction on my bank statement. I haven't sold anything or received any refunds thru paypal in a while, so my paypal balance was 0 at the time.