How would you handle a deadbeat seller?

Boilermaker

I wonder if it would be bad form if i linked personal information he posted himself on a public forum.

Not at all.

I emailed him via his CL ad. Told him I'm from Westbank, and that I was interested in the driver's seat even though it was marked as sold. We'll see if he gets back to me.

Beyond that, I'm thinking maybe I should just give him a friendly phone call. Since after all my phone's area code is a BC one. It might not be the same as his (604), but it still might be 'close enough to home' that he gets spooked. Or maybe I should phone marine chrysler and ask for him?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I phoned him at his work. I chatted politely with him, and informed him that you were slightly upset about the lack of a tracking number for the seat. He said he had shipped it, but did not have a tracking number on hand. I told him to do us a favour and email you the tracking number ASAP.

We'll see.

Thanks DC for contacting him. That's pretty much the same story he gave me and another guy he stiffed. He was already reacting to what little pressure i was putting on him, now he knows that this isn't just going away quietly.

And i have yet to use his address and home phone number or go totally public....

Well, if he doesn't provide you with a tracking number... I might phone his home address. Or, his manager and explain that they have a slightly less than ethical employee, which could cause them some headaches.

In retrospect, I could have laid a few more cards on the table and told him that I expected him to email the tracking number by 6pm, as he gets off at 5 and it wouldn't take him an hour to get home in richmond, even if the bridges were busy.

I was going to give him tonight to make good before i gave him a call at home...Anybody else up for giving Graeme in the parts department at Marine Chrysler Dodge a call on Monday? Home would work too, i won't put his home phone number up publicly (yet), but i would send it via pm to anyone interested in saying hi.

Thanks again to those who are already helping and in advance to those who offer help out.

only thing is if he is from vancouver thats a huge city

It ain't that big , and there are only so many Chrysler dealers , Send me a PM with the info you have and I'll make some "inquiries" as they say .....Gord :brows:

only thing is if he is from vancouver thats a huge city

It ain't that big , and there are only so many Chrysler dealers , Send me a PM with the info you have and I'll make some "inquiries" as they say .....Gord :brows:

Done, thanks.

Well, he didn't email me a tracking number or give me a refund last night. Since he's off work today i think i'll give him a call at home.

man this sucks , but its good to have the suport and "resources" of this board . one thing u could do is get a hand writen letter droped off not mailed to his home and or work and this might realy put some fear in his eyes as he would quickly realize that u know people in his neck of the woods and that uv got friends in low places.

If i were u and all of this didnt work then i would BURN HIS F#@$&%* HOUSE DOWN , seriously

I was going to give him tonight to make good before i gave him a call at home...Anybody else up for giving Graeme in the parts department at Marine Chrysler Dodge a call on Monday? Home would work too, i won't put his home phone number up publicly (yet), but i would send it via pm to anyone interested in saying hi.

Thanks again to those who are already helping and in advance to those who offer help out.

1. You have the evidence he has your money.

2. Did he say by what carrier he shipped? If so, there are ways to get them to tell you if anything was shipped from him to you. If not, try USPS, UPS, FED EXPRESS, etc, all possible carriers and see if he did. Gather that evidence.

3. If there is no indication he shipped it, and although he claims to have shipped the part, but will not give a tracking number and you have politely, as others have, tried to get him to do what he should do, call his boss at work, explain what has taken place, and ask him to help you since having an employee that apparently sells something, takes the money, and then does not ship it but keeps it, makes you wonder whether or not people should be frequenting that place of business because of what this could indicate he might do to customers, or the place he works for.

4. Let the boss know you will call back to find out if he/she had any success with him.

5. If the boss blows it off, let him/her know there might be no choice but have a television crew show up at his place of work and ask why that employee of his has done this to you, and then see what the boss does.

one thing u could do is get a hand writen letter droped off not mailed to his home and or work

That's a good idea, if there is someone who is local to Vancouver/Richmond that would volunteer their time if it gets that far, it would be appreciated.

I'd give him a call at home and talk to his mommy.... Cause you know he still lives with his mommy.... what a POS.....

I don't know, i think living with his parents would cramp his style. I've got a female friend calling first; after getting called at work he may be screening his calls. I figure a girl may get some additional info out of someone who answers if it isn't the deadbeat.

Did he say by what carrier he shipped?

He claims to have shipped it Canada Post. I called them two weeks ago, told them i had the sender's and recipient's address and asked if there was anything they could do to track down a package. Unfortunately there wasn't anything they could tell me with just that info. I also asked what the time frame for delivery would be; we're well past the outside date if in fact he'd sent anything. I'll try other carriers just in case.

A couple of people have also suggested going to his boss. Never thought of the media angle if the boss blows me off. Probably not the greatest time for any dealership to get bad press, hopefully just the possibility of that would be enough.

If i were u and all of this didnt work then i would BURN HIS F#@$&%* HOUSE DOWN , seriously

He'd probably live in his parent's turbovan he's so proud of.

I really do appreciate all the support from everyone.

I've got a female friend calling first; after getting called at work he may be screening his calls. I figure a girl may get some additional info out of someone who answers if it isn't the deadbeat.

I fully intend to put some, if not most, of his contact info on crawlinbc publicly by tonight (it's a forum that does require registry to be read). After being egged on on the bcjeepclub I gave it to them. So, if your female friend wants to phone before things get ugly... Well, she probably has a couple days. Everyone is out of town for a competition right now.

I might have to post it on funinbc too, much as I hate that site (I have no clout there, almost none of them know me). And maybe even BC4x4 if I can remember my login info.

re shipper : Canada Post Would normally use thier Purolator division for large item shipping , they should be able to track via shipper / consignee info , I,m guessing he probably shipped from work so you might try Marine Chrysler as the shipper . Purolator confirms (w/# ) via e-mail to the shipper , so he might have sent on the co. acct. w/o informing his employer :hmm: I'll drive by his res. tomorrow :wavey:

Should have checked my email before hitting the forum...we have contact from the seller in the form of tracking numbers. Not sure if they are legit, he tried this tactic with another guy he shafted, so this might not be the end of it...this is what i'm getting when i put them into the canada post website:

We're Sorry

The page you requested is not available at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please try again later

Either way in less than 24 hours and he blinked; even contacting me is something he hasn't done in weeks. I'll let you all know when i can confirm this is on the level. Even if the system remains unavailable, if the guy really sent them the boxes should be here by the end of the week.

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST. I can't thank everyone enough who contacted him directly, offered to or thought of interesting ways to ruin his life. Hold those good thoughts in case the tracking numbers are just another scam.

Friendly words of advice: Think twice about posting stuff like this in a public forum and save yourself some big time possible grief.

Don't want to throw this guys life out there in the open. Yet.

Why not?

$180 isn't coffee money. I don't know Canadian law, but under U.S. law he is guilty of fraud and you could send the cops after him. If I know someone is ripping me off, I won't hesitate to ruin their life. The world doesn't need people like that.

I can try contacting Purolator directly and see what i can find out. He shipped a part to another guy (after jerking him around for weeks), and the return address on the box was the dealership.

A chat with the manager of the dealership might be enlightening. He may be stealing parts from the dealership, or he may not. But he very well may be using the dealership's account to ship parts that he is selling privately, and I think the dealership might be interested in that. Even if he's not stealing shipping, the fact he is using the dealership address in private transactions will reflect badly on the dealership if the guy stiffs buyers, as he has been doing.

Let us know if that tracking number proves out to be legitimate or fantastical.