Whats so bad about the Bench?

I've got the bench in my Comanche and don't mind it. Some of you guys seem to hate it with a passion, but I actually like having the extra space with my bench and column shifter. Someday, if the right Comanche comes by with the right price, I may convert to the buckets with center console just for the extra storage space and cup holders, but otherwise I'm fine with the bench. Do the bench seats get uncomfortable with age? My bench only has 124,000 miles, maybe that's why it's still fairly comfortable? I'm just wondering why you guys hate the bench so much.

Yeah I like my bench. I specifically was looking for a Comanche with a bench seat, so was happy when I found one. It's pretty dirty on the outside, but still comfortable. I'm hoping to pick up a mint one that someone has tossed out converting to buckets. If I need a cupholder I just bring my wife along and make her hold it.

It's not necessarily that I hate it, but I started driving with a pair of XJs, so I was used to having the full center console. I think the buckets are much more comfortable. That bench gets a little annoying on a 9 hour trip to MO.

Right now, I'm running one of each. 2.5 has a bench and 4.0 has XJ buckets, so they sit a little higher, which is just fine with me.

Many of our benches have lost their "minimum required comfort level" so I'm sure that play into the decision to go to buckets. Plus in the early years the bench didn't have headrests. Some of our members have already found out why headrests are nice to have. :ack:

For me it's just that I love how comfortable the buckets are. :D And I like having an armrest in the middle.

I like the bench. When the wife rides with me it lets her snuggle up next to me on the road which is nice (wife is hot). When I was commuting to Montgomery (3ish hours away) the lack of an armrest got annoying, so I would put my overnight bag in the center, boom instant armrest. I plan on having it recovered soon, hopefully in leather, and I will have them add extra padding. The interior is my next round of upgrades. I do hate the perforated, vynal seat I have. Just because it is hard to get it clean, you can't just wipe it.

I am getting ready to road trip the truck up to NC for 2 weeks of permissive TDY, it is going to be a 9 hour ride so we will see how it goes. Gotta love the loopholes and special programs out there. 12 days of leave without charging a day, paid vacation.

I would have been fine with my bench if it had held up. The drivers side springs were shot. It leaned me up against the door. I would get physically tired from holding myself up straight on longer commutes. I need something that keeps my in my seat more for offroading, especially without doors on.

I always thought the bench was too soft, even when new. Plus I don't like the idea of no headrest. A rear end collision would put my head through the rear window or snap my neck.

Newer benches had the headrests, so they did fix that problem.

so I would put my overnight bag in the center, boom instant armrest. I plan on having it recovered soon, hopefully in leather, and I will have them add extra padding.

Wolfpack, I dunno, but that seems like a lot of trouble and expense to have an overnight bag redone. Don't you think you could just buy a new one spec'd out like you want, for cheaper? :brows:

I always thought the bench was too soft, even when new. Plus I don't like the idea of no headrest. A rear end collision would put my head through the rear window or snap my neck.

My '90 bench came with headrests, although the adjustment mechanism never has worked right.

The headrests in the basic buckets I have now come up to my shoulder blades. I don't believe having buckets with headrests will make a dramatic difference when it comes to whiplash safety...

having started with XJ's that all had buckets, i find them much more comfortable. the bench isn't too bad, although i plan to swap the back from the 90 i'm parting to the 88 i now drive because of the head rests. i'd like to find a bench seat from a similar size vehicle that has more of a 60/40 split with bucket-like support, perhaps from a dakota, ranger, or s10? i haven't done the measurements yet to see what would work well, but then i have the best of all the above :D

kinda hard to sleep in buckets when your to drunk to drive after the bar at 3am lol. image_209027.gif

Never done it drunk, but I've spent plenty of nights in my buckets. 3 nights of my 3 week trip out west were spent sleeping vertically. :ack:

kinda hard to sleep in buckets when your to drunk to drive after the bar at 3am lol. image_209027.gif

Never done it drunk, but I've spent plenty of nights in my buckets. 3 nights of my 3 week trip out west were spent sleeping vertically. :ack:

Gezz I couldnt imagine doing that in a MJ.. I'd sleep in the bed first.. Bed of the truck that is.

Been there, done that. But there's no space in my bed for sleepin' anymore. :D

Plus I can't count the number of naps I've taken in the the cab back when it was my ride to campus. :smart:

i was pretty excited that mine had the bench, my first pick up had a bench and it was cool. but i quickly decided it sucks and am going to buckets. i think a fat guy drove mine or something, i feel like i'm ever so slightly falling off the left. its not bad, but the buckets will be nicer.

Plus in the early years the bench didn't have headrests. Some of our members have already found out why headrests are nice to have. :ack:

looks like they didnt have them in 1988 ither

rear crashes suck without them

i just got rid of my bench and put a set of '94 buckets and a center console in it.... the bench was nasty when i got it, so it pretty much had to go.... it had a giant rip that went about halfway across the seat, and the foam was breaking apart... buckets are the way to go, especially if you're short (like me) and have mostly taller friends who have to fold themselves up like a circus contortionist to fit in the truck if they want to ride with you because you can only put the seat back so far and still touch the pedals